Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Torque wrench suggestions

Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #41
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Once the wrench clicks, your bolt is torqued to the wrenches current setting. DO NOT apply any further torque to the wrench after the click has been felt/heard. This will cause damage to the wrench.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #42
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Once the wrench clicks, your bolt is torqued to the wrenches current setting. DO NOT apply any further torque to the wrench after the click has been felt/heard. This will cause damage to the wrench.

Wilco and Thanks!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #43
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
The guy that sold it to me said I should always return the setting to zero between uses to preserve the internal spring.....sounded logical to me. Still trying to find the instruction manual...he didn't have one - and Sears has been absolutely unhelpful.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #44
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
OK, I got my Craftsman 20-250 troque wrench for $36. Excellent condition! I used it last night. I set it to 80 ft/lbs and put on 4 Gorilla wheel locks. Now, since I have never used one, I torqued it until there was a "click/click" in raqpid succession. This is where I stopped. Did I use it correctly? Or should I continue torquing until it slips entirely and won't torque any longer?
don't forget to reset it
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 AM   #45
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
After searching Craigslist for a few weeks for a used wrench I may pull the trigger this weekend and buy the Home Depot Huskey brand 1/2" wrench for $79.

I can't see getting a Craftsman with only a 1 year warranty and the horrible reviews.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #46
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
About to buy a husky unless someone has any other suggestions.... Anyone?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #47
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=239

Is this good enough? When I say good enough I mean that I probably would only use it to rotate tires. I don't really know what else to use it for?

And to torque our wheels it's 85 ft lbs., right?
Old 03-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #48
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post

Is this good enough? When I say good enough I mean that I probably would only use it to rotate tires. I don't really know what else to use it for?

It should be fine but if it was me I'd spend the extra $40 and get this
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=torque+wrench

It will be more accurate and last for many years. Just make sure you always put it back to 0 or the lowest setting when you are done. it saves the spring inside it.

I have that one you showed it it works tho if you only wanna spend the $20. My dad has the two craftsmen ones and they are also great.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #49
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
It should be fine but if it was me I'd spend the extra $40 and get this
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=torque+wrench

It will be more accurate and last for many years. Just make sure you always put it back to 0 or the lowest setting when you are done. it saves the spring inside it.

I have that one you showed it it works tho if you only wanna spend the $20. My dad has the two craftsmen ones and they are also great.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #50
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post

That's what I use. Just make sure you replace it if you ever drop it.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #51
Never seen Forest Gump

tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
That's what I use. Just make sure you replace it if you ever drop it.

Wait....What do you mean by that? Are you saying the product is cheap as in easy to break?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #52
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
No. Anytime a torque wrench is dropped you are supposed to get it re-calibrated. I'm not sure how much re-calibration cost, but for the price of that wrench you can buy a new one.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #53
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ If you drop it just take it to PMEL and you'll be all set.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #54
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I've had back luck with Craftsman torque wrenches. Also if you read the reviews most of them are bad. This time I went with Cornewell. Cornwell is more expensive but it feels and works like a quality tool. I just wish I had money and I'd fill my tool box with Cornwell.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #55
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
also, it is suggested that you store the torque wrench
set at 20% of the total scale
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #56
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronatl View Post
also, it is suggested that you store the torque wrench
set at 20% of the total scale
Really? My manual says lowest setting.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #57
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
I am using proto wrenches

follow your manual then