Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Jacks and jack stands

Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
FuTang909Inamo is on a distinguished road

FuTang909Inamo's Tacoma Gallery
Jacks and jack stands

Looking for a descent set...I know there's Craftsman but do you guys know of a different brand of about the same or better quality than Craftsman? I've tried the "Big Red" from Pepboys, that was a joke.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I think you answered your own question. You gotta pay for quality.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Batang SMB
tacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the rough

tacoterra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTang909Inamo View Post
Looking for a descent set...I know there's Craftsman but do you guys know of a different brand of about the same or better quality than Craftsman? I've tried the "Big Red" from Pepboys, that was a joke.
If you want a high quality jack go for this.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-15...er-w93652.aspx
Old 11-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight Jack Stands - the tall 6 ton / 12 ton version are great!!
We have two sets and they've never failed. They look identical to any of the others....

I wouldn't recommend buying a hydraulic Jack from Harbor Frieght....
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Harbor Freight Jack Stands - the tall 6 ton / 12 ton version are great!!
We have two sets and they've never failed. They look identical to any of the others....

I wouldn't recommend buying a hydraulic Jack from Harbor Frieght....
Thanks Janster...I was wondering about those Harbor Freight stands. Orange and white right?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
I bought GM 3-ton jack stands for $20 from Walmart. The are doing fine.

I'm in a market for hydraulic jacks, so I'm subscribed to this thread.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
THE TECHNICIAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TECHNICIAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TECHNICIAN is a jewel in the rough
THE TECHNICIAN's Tacoma Gallery
I have this one and have had no problems with it. Would buy another one if I had to.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40105
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
I have a jack from harbor freight. (Big red brand) It's been good to me for about three years now.

The craftsman one I bought four years ago died after one year.

So yeah....
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a big orange one from harbor freight. it works fine for me!
Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #11

This is my buddy's...he got it at Costco for about $100. I'm gonna get the same thing. Quick rise and low enough for lowered vehicles (not slammed)

Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I have a cheap O set of jack stands from auto zone like $29 for 2 and they work just fine when I had my WRX It was up on jack stands all the time and I have used them multiple times with my Tacoma and they have worked just fine.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using Kragen jack stands and the SUV/Truck bottle jack from Pep boys and they work just fine.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3.5 Ton Low profile light weight aluminum Good year jack that I got a while back at Costco. Its great and not heavy like most. Also it was the only one low enough to fit under my dads car.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
dmblongo is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
dmblongo's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

I dont know about ya'll but there is no way in hell I'd buy anything like jack sands/jacks etc from Harbor Freight...If I'm planning on crawling under it. I bought an American Standard set for 700.00. I could probaly lift up my house with it even though its only a 6 ton jack. I dunno just my thought since I'm crawling underneath it...somehow a set of stands for 30 bucks seems a bit iffy...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 AM   #16
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTang909Inamo View Post
I've had that one. I think it was something to do with the actual jack, not really broken but you need to do something when it starts to not lift anymore. I have a Sears Craftsman jack (2), one of them stopped lifting after a while, took it to Sears to see if I could get an exchange. The person at the desk was freaking awesome, said that although Craftsman only does that for tools, he still fixed it. He told me that after a while of lifting over and over, that oil plug area needs to be serviced or something. He did all the fixing right at the desk in front of me, it's been a while sorry I forgot most of what happened. Still it works like it did before when I first got it.
I also have another jack, but this is one of the heavy duty gator ones. No brand name, just a bunch of dents and scratches from years of work put in.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblongo View Post
I dont know about ya'll but there is no way in hell I'd buy anything like jack sands/jacks etc from Harbor Freight...If I'm planning on crawling under it. I bought an American Standard set for 700.00. I could probaly lift up my house with it even though its only a 6 ton jack. I dunno just my thought since I'm crawling underneath it...somehow a set of stands for 30 bucks seems a bit iffy...
I have two bottle jacks from HF, one 20 ton and a pneumatic 40 ton. They worked great..............when I lifted my house.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #18
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
The thing is a good set of jack stands will last your entire lifetime.
A cheep set may last your lifetime, hopefully.
Buy a heavy duty set with wide bases.
Keep in mind you are putting your life in the quality of the stand.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #19
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblongo View Post
I agree when it comes to the stands, but can't see anything wrong with a HF jack - like that blue & silver aluminum one that was on here recently for $50 or $60. A good product, I have used one. If it's only used for lifting the car up to put it on stands, not a problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #20
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I have a harbor freight 2.5 ton orange jack I have had for about 5 years with zero problems...I think I paid $30 for it at a sidewalk sale. I also have harbor freight jackstands and some other ones I bought at advance auto parts.

IMO jackstands are jackstands...there isn't much to them. pretty simple design and engineering. Comparing expensive ones to cheap ones I can't really see the difference in them.

When I was a kid around 16 yrs old me and my buddy were working on my car and didn't have jackstands under it, the jack gave out and fell almost took my buddy's leg off he pulled it out from under the car in the knick of time. Ever since then I always use 2 jackstands per side to be safe, that scared the shit out of me.