1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yep...another cordless tool thread.

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by MGH-PA, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Nov 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    MGH-PA

MGH-PA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bestop
    I know the thread on the best cordless drill is right in here, but I would like some SPECIFIC kit recommendations (or even a separate impact driver recommendation).

Christmas is coming, and the wife needs ideas. I was originally going to get a nice hybrid table saw, but I don't have my barn finished yet with power, so I really can't use it, yet, and my smaller 10" table top saw will have to do for now. What I DO really need is a nice cordless impact driver. I'm doing a lot of renovations, and building workbenches in the barn and in the lower shop, etc. I'm tired of my 24V Firestorm bitching out on me, and stripping screws, and dying. I have the firestorm 24V kit, and honestly, it's kind of garbage (big surprise, right)? The drill is decent, but that's about it.

I'm not sure I want to get a kit, yet, but I know I want an impact driver that's lightweight, but will last for an entire 4-5hrs+ of driving 3"+ deck/wood screws. I could use a hammer drill, so a kit would be nice I suppose.

Obviously, Makita, Milwaukee, and Bosch are at the top of the list right now. My dad has a Bosch 32V cordless hammer drill and loves it, but it does weigh a small ton. He had an older NiMH Makita that he loved (and so did I since I used it a lot when growing up), so right now I really only have personal experience with Makita and Bosch, but obviously Milwaukee's reputation is pretty good as well.

Any recommendations on kits here of these three brands? Cost wise, don't want to spend over about $450.

2. Nov 23, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    MGH-PA

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    Yeah, I did catch that deal. Very nice, but I think I would like a cordless dedicated driver. Smaller size is one thing I like about them.

3. Nov 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
  4. Nov 23, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    I'm keen to Craftsman. I have several of their C3 19.2v tools and they seem to do fine. Their 19.2v lithium ion drill is good as well and the lithium ion batts fit into the C3 line of tools. They may not be contractor grade, but they do the jobs I need for around the house just fine.

5. Nov 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    MGH-PA

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    THAT'S what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I saw Makita has an 18V combo kit with the drill, driver, and light (don't really need it). That's going to be on sale at HD black friday, but we don't have a HD around here:cool:

6. Nov 28, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    mutts

mutts Active Member

Member:
    waterdown ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 bsp double cab short box
    4/5 hrs plus driving 3" deck screws? dude you better get a corded drill!!

7. Nov 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What about just plain chordless drills? My husband has a 14.4v Industrial Craftsman that's many many years old. It's still works just fine. I think the battery life might be lacking a bit and it's worn petty good from years of abuse (laugh). He deserves the latest & greatest ....and I don't have any other ideas.:confused:

What's the hot ticket? Don't mind spending $ but I have my limits...
    Looks like 18v is the standard for medium expense? Looks like the 24v are mucho expensive!

Nevermind, I just saw that other thread....

8. Dec 1, 2009 at 4:39 AM
    MGH-PA

Member:
    Northcentral, PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD AC 4x4
    Nope. With 15 min charge times, two batteries and a Makita Impact driver will do just fine, and be lightweight to boot (plus no extension cords to keep moving around).

As you can tell I THINK I've narrowed it down (I told the wife that was my first choice, the identical Bosch kit was second...we'll find out on Christmas:)).

9. Dec 1, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB, SR5, Cavalry Blue, mostly stock
    If you are driving deck scews you definately want the "impact driver". I bought a DeWalt 18 volt and love it. I will never drive a screw again with a drill! It will bury a 3.5" screw in seconds. I built a 10 x 12 floor for a shed last week and don't think I changed the battery at all. In my mind the trick is to have multiple batteries. Seems whenever I break out one of my cordless tools the battery is dead. I've got a "charging station" set up on my workbench. Two (sometimes three) chargers plugged in all the time. Just keep rotating the batteries on and off when i walk by.

Not to Hijack.... but anyone looking for DeWalt 18 volt batteries.... Right now there is a deal at Ace Hardware for a 1/2" DeWalt drill with two batteries for $99 w/ $20 rebate. Two batteries by themselves at Lowes/Home Depot are $119, E-bay range around $120 + shipping, rebuilders on E-bay want $45 each. So for $79 at Ace, Heck, for that price you could throw the drill away (or resell it on e-bay). My Father-in-law bought two kits removed the batteries and just put the drills and cases on the shelf.

Products Discussed in

To Top