Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Yep...another cordless tool thread.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
MGH-PA will become famous soon enough

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Yep...another cordless tool thread.

I know the thread on the best cordless drill is right in here, but I would like some SPECIFIC kit recommendations (or even a separate impact driver recommendation).

Christmas is coming, and the wife needs ideas. I was originally going to get a nice hybrid table saw, but I don't have my barn finished yet with power, so I really can't use it, yet, and my smaller 10" table top saw will have to do for now. What I DO really need is a nice cordless impact driver. I'm doing a lot of renovations, and building workbenches in the barn and in the lower shop, etc. I'm tired of my 24V Firestorm bitching out on me, and stripping screws, and dying. I have the firestorm 24V kit, and honestly, it's kind of garbage (big surprise, right)? The drill is decent, but that's about it.

I'm not sure I want to get a kit, yet, but I know I want an impact driver that's lightweight, but will last for an entire 4-5hrs+ of driving 3"+ deck/wood screws. I could use a hammer drill, so a kit would be nice I suppose.

Obviously, Makita, Milwaukee, and Bosch are at the top of the list right now. My dad has a Bosch 32V cordless hammer drill and loves it, but it does weigh a small ton. He had an older NiMH Makita that he loved (and so did I since I used it a lot when growing up), so right now I really only have personal experience with Makita and Bosch, but obviously Milwaukee's reputation is pretty good as well.

Any recommendations on kits here of these three brands? Cost wise, don't want to spend over about $450.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #2

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Milwaukee M18 combo kit. On sale at Home Depot for $399 (normally 499). Contains a hammer drill, sawzall, circular saw, and work light. Lion batteries so its not too heavy.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
Yeah, I did catch that deal. Very nice, but I think I would like a cordless dedicated driver. Smaller size is one thing I like about them.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
find a local Milwaukee distributor and get this kit:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...ordless+System
Old 11-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
I'm keen to Craftsman. I have several of their C3 19.2v tools and they seem to do fine. Their 19.2v lithium ion drill is good as well and the lithium ion batts fit into the C3 line of tools. They may not be contractor grade, but they do the jobs I need for around the house just fine.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
I'm keen to Craftsman. I have several of their C3 19.2v tools and they seem to do fine. Their 19.2v lithium ion drill is good as well and the lithium ion batts fit into the C3 line of tools. They may not be contractor grade, but they do the jobs I need for around the house just fine.
THAT'S what I'm looking for. Thanks.

I saw Makita has an 18V combo kit with the drill, driver, and light (don't really need it). That's going to be on sale at HD black friday, but we don't have a HD around here
Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
mutts is on a distinguished road
mutts's Tacoma Gallery
4/5 hrs plus driving 3" deck screws? dude you better get a corded drill!!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What about just plain chordless drills? My husband has a 14.4v Industrial Craftsman that's many many years old. It's still works just fine. I think the battery life might be lacking a bit and it's worn petty good from years of abuse (laugh). He deserves the latest & greatest ....and I don't have any other ideas.

What's the hot ticket? Don't mind spending $ but I have my limits...
Looks like 18v is the standard for medium expense? Looks like the 24v are mucho expensive!

Nevermind, I just saw that other thread....
Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #8

MGH-PA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
4/5 hrs plus driving 3" deck screws? dude you better get a corded drill!!
Nope. With 15 min charge times, two batteries and a Makita Impact driver will do just fine, and be lightweight to boot (plus no extension cords to keep moving around).

As you can tell I THINK I've narrowed it down (I told the wife that was my first choice, the identical Bosch kit was second...we'll find out on Christmas).
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
Crusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrusher 2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Crusher 2's Tacoma Gallery
If you are driving deck scews you definately want the "impact driver". I bought a DeWalt 18 volt and love it. I will never drive a screw again with a drill! It will bury a 3.5" screw in seconds. I built a 10 x 12 floor for a shed last week and don't think I changed the battery at all. In my mind the trick is to have multiple batteries. Seems whenever I break out one of my cordless tools the battery is dead. I've got a "charging station" set up on my workbench. Two (sometimes three) chargers plugged in all the time. Just keep rotating the batteries on and off when i walk by.

Not to Hijack.... but anyone looking for DeWalt 18 volt batteries.... Right now there is a deal at Ace Hardware for a 1/2" DeWalt drill with two batteries for $99 w/ $20 rebate. Two batteries by themselves at Lowes/Home Depot are $119, E-bay range around $120 + shipping, rebuilders on E-bay want $45 each. So for $79 at Ace, Heck, for that price you could throw the drill away (or resell it on e-bay). My Father-in-law bought two kits removed the batteries and just put the drills and cases on the shelf.