LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Propane Heater for Fold-A-Cover Install

Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Question Propane Heater for Fold-A-Cover Install

So I finally purchased a Fold-A-Cover G4. I should have it the end of next week or the beginning of the following week (fingers cross).

I just realized that they recommend that you install with the temperature no lower than 70 degrees This might be a little hard up here in Eastern Canada. So, I could wait until the spring but that will drive me crazy!!

Has anyone used a propane heater in their garage? Is it safe and can I get the temp up to 70 degrees? I have a 1 and 1/2 car garage. It's insulated but the garage door isn't insulated.

So, I guess I have three questions.
1) Will it get warm enough?
2) Is it safe?
3) What kind of heater should I use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
We sometimes will tarp in an area at work (-30,-40) and use one of these: http://www.mrheater.com/
It will get the heat up.
Safe? Not sure but if you start feeling tired get out to fresh air. Headache and nausea are the first signs that you're getting carbon monoxide poisoning.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Those look great. Maybe I'll go to the local Rent-All and see what they have.

Anyone use one of these in their garage?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
we use a mr.heater all the time in the shop. actually im going to use it when I do my window tint today
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
OK great. I'll rent one when my tonneau cover arrives. I'm guessing it will have no problem getting the garage up to 70 degrees.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
They work good, but just remember that if you are in a sealed area, forced air propane heaters do give off carbon monoxide. For garages, I always prefer large coil heaters, but that isn't always an option and the propane heater will suffice, but is no where near as safe.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
also make sure you point the heater away from your truck. it does get hot.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
MMMMM Taco's

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my G4 Elite yesterday afternoon. I used a small 15,000 btu to 25,000 btu propane heater. I have an insulated 1 and 1/2 car garage and it had no problem getting the temperature up to 72 degrees. I dropped it to the lowest setting after the temp reached 70 and it kept it at 72 degrees throughout the whole install process. The garage is definitely not air tight so I didn't have any problems. However, I think I'll pick up a CO2 detecter before I use it again for piece of mind.

Cheers.