Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Flashlight Help

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #21
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
More info than you ever thought possible...

www.candlepowerforums.com

Personally, I have a Mag LED 3D in the car. Also a Streamlight Scorpion and a Surefire L4. It all depends on what you want, your budget, how long you're looking for batteries to last.

Fenix, and their clones, are decent bang for the buck, but for LED's only. You want an incandescent, Mag, Pelican or Streamlight are good brands.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:42 AM   #22
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
bah

this is where its at

http://www.511tactical.com/html511/static/LFLDemo.html
Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
kg4ghn is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
kg4ghn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to kg4ghn Send a message via Yahoo to kg4ghn
I carry a Surefire 6P LED with me at all times. I use it at work all the time, and just use it a lot period. It has held up well for being in my pocket every day for a year now. The battery life is pretty good with the led.

But for the price and for just a throw around flashlight that is still good quality, you can't beat a maglite. I like the 4D for the full size maglites. I don't know why, I guess cause my first maglite when I was a kid was a 4D.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
paulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Name: paul
paulm09tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i know from experience that mag lights are very good. just be carefull cause ive been told that in some states it is considered a dangerous weapon when its in your car by its-self. i guess you could keep it next to the hammer and sledge and call yourself a contractor???????
Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #25
Triple Option
Slotback will become famous soon enoughSlotback will become famous soon enough
Slotback's Tacoma Gallery
Streamlight or Surefire. Absolutely worth the money.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
bmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to beholdbmgreene is a splendid one to behold

bmgreene's Tacoma Gallery
Are the LED Mags brighter than the originals, or is it more an improvement in battery life?

Also, fwiw someone on the off-road boards reccomended keeping a couple chem-lights handy as backups. Seemed like a great idea since they've got less shelf life issues than batteries, are dirt cheap and take up little space.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i bought some cheapass multi pack led flashlights from homo depot and they work great. I bought a 45 dollar one and lost it in 2weeks. I still have all 5 from the multi pack 2 yrs ago and they work great.

Same concept as exspensive sunglasses. theyll be lost or stolen in no time. Buy a wallyworld pair and youll never lose/break them.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
x100 for Surefire.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #29
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Just picked up a Maglite 3D Cell flashlight at the local Ace Hardware in red to match my truck for $10.88! I was sent a 50% coupon on any item under $30 and decided I could use a flashlight. I had a hard time deciding between the different sizes and felt the 3D cell was the perfect size. I plan on buying the LED upgrade for it later.

Edit: As stated, I had trouble picking a size. Is 3D the way to go or should I have picked up the 2D or 4D?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #30
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper View Post
Anything from Surefire. Not sure what the budget is, but IMHO there is no substitute for a quality lighting tool. Surefire lights can be had for less than a $100. I have a SF M3 Combat Light, it has a 225 lumen bulb and uses 3 CR123 batteries. It was over $240 and almost cost me my marriage, but after about a month-I had to buy my wife one too. She loves it.

I have maglites too, but they are bulky and heavy-it is nice to have lights that are, well, light(weight). I keep a maglite as a backup in the pocket on my back door. The M3 is attached to the pillar underneath the seatbelt attachement. I attached a 1" "Quickfist" to the pillar and it makes for easy access when I need the light and the quickfist is very secure. Outside of Surefire, Pelican and Streamlight make high quality lights and are good choices for lightweight, durable devices.
X1
I carry a Surefire E2E, flat out love this flashlight. I never leave home without it, never.
Paid about $85 to $90 about six or seven years ago.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #31
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
I have personal experience with the Princeton Tec Blast and Tec 40, both very bright, lightweight and inexpensive, but a quality light. , For use in a truck for survival I would use the Tec 40 for brightness and one of the Princeton Tec LED lights for longevity. Oh, completely waterproof for diving.

The Leupold modular flashlight system looks interesting but I bet it's pricey..
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #32
Sapper26 is on a distinguished road

Army: Combat Engineer...Essayons!!
Name: Will
Sapper26's Tacoma Gallery
I carried a Blackhawk Gladius while I was in Iraq. I used it either mounted on my M4 or just carried it in my pocket. It's really durable and has some really cool features.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #33
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say Mag Light or Sure Fire
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #34
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Get a rechargeable maglite with the charging holster. You'll never have to worry about a dead flashlight again.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #35
dmac11 is on a distinguished road
dmac11's Tacoma Gallery
I would go for a light that takes a 123a battery because of the shelf life, like 10+years

I personally own a surefire LED and that this is bright as HE11. Plus with the led you get a longer battery life as compared to their conventional xenon. Honestly I have not compared battery life to say a mini mag, but there really is no comparison considering how bright the Surefire led is.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #36
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
Pelican LED's are the only flashlights for me. Work great in all conditions.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #38
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
Pelican LED's are the only flashlights for me. Work great in all conditions.
I have a small Pelican marketed under the Browning name, very bright, light and totally waterproof. Good product.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #39
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
I carry one of these clipped bezel down in my left front pocket every day, and have for about the past year and a half. It gets used almost every day too. I probably go through about a battery every 6 weeks - 2 months depending on use, but the lithium batts have way better shelf life than alkalines do, which is another advantage of the Surefire lights.

http://www.surefire.com/E1B-Backup

It's 80 lumens or 5 lumens, user selectable output. I've dropped it more times than I can count on fingers and toes, and it's kept on ticking. It's a very well built light.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #40
WRECKLESS for Life...
Wreckless_71 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Reserve County Sheriff
Name: Justin
Wreckless_71's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta say I have a Streamlight Stinger and I absolutely love it... I have a charger mount in my truck that charged the light and a second battery also. Although if I had to go for the budget light I would go with the Maglite...

Products Discussed in this Thread