Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Built a display case for the garage

Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Built a display case for the garage

….Or how I spent my summer vacation…LOL!...more on that later. The idea for this cabinet had been rolling around in my head for about two years. The plan went into action this past July 4th weekend with the help of my neighbor who had come back from his tour of duty, an Admiral who in his spare time enjoys wood working. We used his Festool modular wood working system to cut out the back board, sides, top and bottom. With the use of the system every cut was accurate. Once the back board was cut I ran a ¼’’ rabbit around the outside to seat the top, bottom and sides into. I also ran a ¼’’ route from top to bottom on the inside of the back to seat the stanchions into. This was performed to insure that the stanchions would not flex to either side once the weight of the glass shelf’s were placed on the support arms. The material I selected was ¼” MDF, medium density fiberboard. It holds up extremely well when used for cabinets and will not fall apart like cheap particleboard.
Once I had cut out all the main wood components, I assembled the top, back, one side and the bottom with brass wood screws and applied wood glue on the adjoining surfaces. I drilled pilot holes for all the wood screws so they wouldn’t split the wood. I purposely left the right side piece off so I could have access to the glass slides when it was time to install the sliding glass doors.
With everything assembled the fun started. Over the summer I sanded down all the joining areas and the surfaces of the wood with progressively fine sand paper, working from a 120 grit to 400. To say the surface of the wood was smooth is an understatement. I spent one Saturday morning mitering the corners of the ¼ “round top shoe molding I used as edge trim for the front of the cabinet. I also sanded it smooth by hand.
I then spent a weekend applying primer paint and then sanding that smooth in preparation for the Benjamin Moore bright white finish coat paint. The painting itself was not that bad, I had that done in one weekend. I used a micro fiber 5” roller to apply the paint to the broad areas and then finished up the tight areas with a 1” detail brush.
Once the paint had dried I drilled pilot holes and installed the four stanchions and the top and bottom aluminum sliders for the glass doors. The pilot holes were filled with wood blue before the screws were inserted to ensure they would not pull out of the back.
On Labor Day weekend, with the help of two of my neighbors I hung the cabinet on the wall in my garage, securing it with (8) 2 ¼” long ½” lag bolts drilled into (4) studs in the wall. (Yes-it’s level) I completed the operation with the installation of the glass shelf’s and sliding glass doors the following day.
All totaled up I have about 75 hours of work invested into the display case. As for the cost I have $97 in materials, $32 for paint and primer and $198 for the glass.
The dimensions for the cabinet are 6’ wide, 11” deep and 28” tall. The total weight (empty) is close to 228lbs. With the models in place, I have no idea.
Will it come with me if I ever move?-HELL YES! Why did I build it, because I could and yes; it is the first cabinet I have ever built.
More pics in my photo gallery
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
where can't I go?
AZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kacey
AZCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
bad ass! I like your vete too.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks