Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

F@#%ING Rodent in the attic!!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
F@#%ING Rodent in the attic!!

My wife and I just got our first house this past august, and now we've got some sort of rodent up in the attic. Only hear it at night, small feet scratching and chewing. I'm guessing it's a flying squirrel, they seem to be the most common pest up here in MA. I don't want to use poison bait, and set a couple of live traps but they've been set for 4 days and nothing's tripped them yet. Any suggestions on getting rid of this thing? I think it comes and goes through a gap between the house and chimney, and I haven't sealed the gap yet because a few of the things I've read say wait till you catch and remove first.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Your probably right, flying squirrel. I had them in the attic a few years ago. They chewed thru the attic vent and the screen behind it. They jump out of the trees and gluide onto the roof. Best way to get them in a live trap is a ritz cracker with some peanut butter on it. I didn't want to kill them, so when I caught one I drove pretty far out and let it go.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, I thought about the poisoning thing, but neither of us wants a dead carcass rotting away in the ceiling above our bedroom. Now, if these traps don't work in another week or so, I might start changing my mind.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
bowl full of anti freeze works every time.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of bait do you have in the trap?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard peanut butter and bacon works well.

For a trap to work well, you should set it up in one of their normal paths. They normally have a tunnel dug through the insulation and if you can find it, place the trap in line with it.

Really, you need to seal the attic. You can trap them all day, but more will come in until you seal it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I presume you hear it at night... could be a bat. I had a bat and it sounded like that.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
any idea where its getting in at? we had squirrels that kept getting in our attic at our old condo....and them bastards would run round at night and make the cats run all over the place...while i was sleepin. i ended up finding where they were getting in at and buying some screen and stapling it up...never had a prob with them again.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Squirrels chewed their way into my brothers house. Way up in the top of a gable. He climbed up and nailed some wire screen over the hole. A couple days later , the squirrels had chewed another hole right next to the hole he had plugged. Damn squirrels. LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
Triple Option
Slotback will become famous soon enoughSlotback will become famous soon enough
Slotback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I've heard peanut butter and bacon works well.

For a trap to work well, you should set it up in one of their normal paths. They normally have a tunnel dug through the insulation and if you can find it, place the trap in line with it.

Really, you need to seal the attic. You can trap them all day, but more will come in until you seal it.

This.

Just got through with this problem the other day. Once you get the rodent(s) out, you must find the point of entry and get it sealed off. Check thoroughly from top to bottom. It might be time consuming and a PITA, but do it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #15

I've looked and I think the only opening is next to the chimney, but I haven't sealed it up because all the advice online I've found says remove/kill them first. I'm using peanut butter and peanuts, never thought of using bacon. I've also moved the traps around a little bit trying some different areas. I haven't found any of its/their tunnels, the way our attic is it's the insulation and then over it some foam boards, so I'd need to pull up all the boards to find the tunnels. I know it's not bats, they'd lay up on the ceiling, and it's too cold for them to be active. Even if I wanted to seal the hole up, there's a foot of snow up on the roof now, so I'm gonna have to wait for things to melt before going up there. If I haven't caught anything in the next week I'm going with poison, screw the smell. It'll go away after a while, right?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
The poison makes them thirsty so they go looking for water. Buy some of those big rat traps if you think it is a squirrel.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 TRD Sport View Post
Squirrels chewed their way into my brothers house. Way up in the top of a gable. He climbed up and nailed some wire screen over the hole. A couple days later , the squirrels had chewed another hole right next to the hole he had plugged. Damn squirrels. LOL
Probably was trying to get to it's babies, squirrels will return and chew through just about anything to get to the young ones squeaking to be fed.

Bacon doesn't work for squirrels unless they are starving but it is one of the best baits for rats.

If you have a squirrel, use sunflower seeds and a small dab of peanut butter, flying squirrels also love just about any type of fruit like grapes, apples ect.

If you strike out trying to trap them, contact the local humane society in your area and ask for a list of rehabbers, many will more then happy to help
Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

If you strike out trying to trap them, contact the local humane society in your area and ask for a list of rehabbers, many will more then happy to help
Never thought of that. The local pest control people are wicked expensive!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Get up there with a flashlight and a air pistol or rifle. OR you could recruit a neighbors cat for a night or two and I can assure you they will take care of the situation.