Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

impact drivers

Old 12-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
impact drivers

been looking into getting a couple of impact drivers for the garage. i have used a bosch impactor before,and they are pretty nice...but i think i like the dewalts a lil better. problem there is.....the 1/4 inch dewalt impact driver is right around $250...and you can get the 6 tool set for right around $560.

also looked at the porter cable and the ryobi......not really impressd with the ryobi.

what all do ya'll have.....what have ya'll used? pros/cons??? thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Malcolm3.4 is on a distinguished road

Malcolm3.4's Tacoma Gallery
I have used pretty much all brands on a professional level. I ended up going with Ridgid 18v for my own personal tools. Between Ridgid and Dewalt you can't go wrong. The price difference between those two and the lessers isn't really that much.

You get what you pay for.

For home needs, it really depends on how much you are going to use. My older brother swears by ryobi but then again he did cut off his middle finger with a table saw.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
I usually swear by milwaukee tools, but I just got a ryobi driver for 50 bucks at home depot on sale with two batteries and a charger and case. Never used ryobi before, I've heard mixed things about them though. Some good some bad. We'll see... I'll keep ya posted.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i didnt think to look at home depot yet. i am looking around at lowes,cause its 5 minutes from the house, and i got some lowes gift cards.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
pneumatic or battery?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
pneumatic or battery?
battery/cordless. i need one around the house, and when i go off somewhere for work.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
battery/cordless. i need one around the house, and when i go off somewhere for work.
ahh I'm no help then, sorry
Old 12-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a harbor freight impact wrench with 2 year warranty for $53 and Im satisfied so far.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i got the 6 piece dewalt set for christmas last year...lemme tell ya, that the 1/4" impact driver has plenty of power. I used it to drive lag bolts into a wooden cart we made for a generator. I'm not sure for about ALL day use, but for workin on your truck or probably even building a deer stand it should have tons of power.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i got the 6 piece dewalt set for christmas last year...lemme tell ya, that the 1/4" impact driver has plenty of power. I used it to drive lag bolts into a wooden cart we made for a generator. I'm not sure for about ALL day use, but for workin on your truck or probably even building a deer stand it should have tons of power.
im leaning towards the dewalt kit....even tho its a lil more than i wanna spend...and a couple of the tools may not see much use at all.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
im leaning towards the dewalt kit....even tho its a lil more than i wanna spend...and a couple of the tools may not s
ee much use at all.
I love it..The only thing I havent used so far is the grinder, but thats just cuz the grinding disc they give you sucks, and dosent fit on the grinder. Im to cheap to go buy new ones..haha

Everything else I have used at some point and works great. Im itching to really try it out, and build a deer stand with it just for something to do..haha
Old 12-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
i saw some of the makita stuff.....never really used any makita tools. how are they?? they hold up to heavy use pretty good,Chad?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
You get screwed when you have to buy replacement batteries. I recently bought a pair of batteries for my DeWalt XRP for $149.00

I prefer pneumatic. Cant go wrong.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
You get screwed when you have to buy replacement batteries. I recently bought a pair of batteries for my DeWalt XRP for $149.00

I prefer pneumatic. Cant go wrong.
i have 2 half inch pneumatic impact guns......use them alot, but alot of times....im where there isnt any electricity...so i gotta rely on hand tools a good bit....and cordless tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Over the past 21 years in the electrical trade I have used just about every brand and, Makita always holds up the best!

1. Makita
2. Mill
3. PC
4. Bosch
5. Dewalt (Black n decker)
cool...i'll look into them as well.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #15

i forgot to add to this thread the other day..........at home depot...i picked up the dewalt xrp 18v 6 piece kit.....1/2 inch drill, 1/4 inch impact,sawzall,grinder,light, and circular saw, plus 2 batteries and charger for $490......which beat lowes price of $570. im gonna get a few more batteries and charger eventually, along with a 1/2 inch impact to go with it.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Im a Carpenter, and I use them alot. My boss got the Dewalt kit, and that Impact is pretty good. But My Makita I think is alot better, quality wise and it has a LED light.
One of my co-workers has Makita also. Best tool I have baught so far...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
Im a Carpenter, and I use them alot. My boss got the Dewalt kit, and that Impact is pretty good. But My Makita I think is alot better, quality wise and it has a LED light.
One of my co-workers has Makita also. Best tool I have baught so far...
the drill and the driver that came with my dewalt kit have the led area light as well. handy as hell.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
cmouse will become famous soon enough

cmouse's Tacoma Gallery
I have a ridgid and it is great...until the battery expired! I have used them all at one time or another if you go cordless lithium batteries are a must and maybe the only ones available any more. I like the makita kit that has a impact and screwgun. It is reall nice to have both at the house or on the job. I like the Ridgid warranty so I tend to go that direction. It has paid off several time for me. Plus you save a little over dewalt. I personally think your batteries will die before you wear out the tool so replacement cost is a big consideration.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using a 12V Makita impact for years. I love it because it is light - doesn't ware your arm out using it all day and does the job. Bits and nut drivers never get loose in the 1/4 inch drive like they do in a chuck. The impact is great zip screws, carbide bits, sockets everything. I also have a chuck for it for drill bits.I got my son in law a Makita kit for under $200 on sale on the internet, included 2 14V bats, charger, impact driver, regular drill and a florescent work light. A lot for the $
Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Skil 2372-01 7.2-Volt Lithium-Ion Power Wrench for my last b-day.
http://www.amazon.com/Skil-2372-01-7.../dp/B000P7MAGU
At first I thought I was going to exchange it but I used it a couple of times and the thing works good. Don't expect a lot of torque. It's good for small stuff, like taking off the tail light assy. However, I did use it to disasemble my garage door opener to replace the worn gears.