Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Dremel Tool

Old 12-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dremel Tool

I was going to pickup a dremel tool today to cut the bars out of my stock grille in preparation of a grillcraft install, but got overwhelmed by the various models, attachments, etc and left. One dremel was 75.00! Is that really worth it? There was a black and Decker beside it with a cutoff wheel for 25.00 I am not really sure how much I'll use this thing after I finish the grille. What dremel or similar tool do you guys have?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Whenever I need to use one, I usually wait until Chris has some free time and we use his.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhodes View Post
I was going to pickup a dremel tool today to cut the bars out of my stock grille in preparation of a grillcraft install, but got overwhelmed by the various models, attachments, etc and left. One dremel was 75.00! Is that really worth it? There was a black and Decker beside it with a cutoff wheel for 25.00 I am not really sure how much I'll use this thing after I finish the grille. What dremel or similar tool do you guys have?
the black and decker will be fine for what you are gonna use it for. my father in law has an old black and decker dremel knock off, and has used it for lots of things...never had any probs with it.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
Whenever I need to use one, I usually wait until Chris has some free time and we use his.
I just have a"regular" corded dremel tool. Personally, I think the Ryoby ones have more power than the Dremel ones. For cutting the grill, use a "Rotory Cutter", kinda like the Roto Tool bits.....Not a cut off wheel.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
the dremel will probably last you longer (i have one) but if you dont plan on using it much(which i cant see because you are a member here) get the black and decker.
the only real problem you will run into is that if you run the tool really long without giving it a break the internals will melt(been there)
Old 12-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I just have a"regular" corded dremel tool. Personally, I think the Ryoby ones have more power than the Dremel ones. For cutting the grill, use a "Rotory Cutter", kinda like the Roto Tool bits.....Not a cut off wheel.
x2 on the rotary cutter just watch the speed.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well chris it looks like you are gonna cost me some extra cash! The 75.00 dremel has a rotary cutter like you are describing. Do you think its worth 50.00 more to cut the grille out with this rather than using a cutoff wheel?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well chris it looks like you are gonna cost me some extra cash! The 75.00 dremel has a rotary cutter like you are describing. Do you think its worth 50.00 more to cut the grille out with this rather than using a cutoff wheel?
Any rotory cutter will work as long as you use this bit:

It doesnt have to be a "DRemmel".
Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The pin router bit works great for getting into tight spots and lasts longer than those cutting wheels....always wear eye protection!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #12

Quote:

That looks like a drill bit? I thought you were talking about something like this:
Dremel Tool-dremel.jpg
I guess this is what jacks the price up to 75.00 It cuts perpendicular lines up to 1/4" thick.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
That looks like a drill bit? I thought you were talking about something like this:
Attachment 44738
I guess this is what jacks the price up to 75.00 It cuts perpendicular lines up to 1/4" thick.
Yeah...I havent tried that peice on plastic, and there are some curve parts in the grill that need to be cut. i used the pin router bit (thanks OffroadToy ) with good results.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 10 speed Dremel 300 .. I love it.. The most used tool I own.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Every shop needs a Dremel or some type of rotary cutoff tool, so don't hesitate on the buy. FWIW I've had about 4 Dremels, A black&decker wizard, and a couple other rotary tools. They all worked plenty well although the Dremel has the name behind it and usually a better feel to it.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to add, if you have any Lowe's nearby, you can pick up damn near any bit or attachment known to man there for a Dremel.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #18

So I got the 10spd Dremel 300 which came with a rotory bit. Chris was right, not that I doubted him, it cut like butter. And OffroadToy wasn't kidding....ALWAYS wear eye protection. These little tools sling debris like crazy! Here are some shitty phone pics of my new grille...still gotta get it color matched.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #19

Looks great!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #20
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i made the big mistake of getting the cordless. I am kicking myself big time. The battery pack dies so fast it takes all day to cut anything.