Notices

Miter Saw Recommendations

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
bcliff is on a distinguished road
bcliff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsullyman View Post
I wonder if there is a substantial difference between the Kolbalt one and the craftsman saw, I see the one is more expensive, but they look identical.
I'd be surprised if they were the same saw. Craftsman doesn't typically do private label stuff. My saw is pretty substantial, solid and heavy.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #22
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
you can always by a used one. i bought a 10" bosch sliding miter saw that came with a table that folds down and rolls. it has swing out bars on each end to hold long boards. i got the whole setup for $175. it was a steal. craigslist is the bomb.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
I have a dual-rail Makita LS1212. Love it. I built it into a bench so there are 6' extended benches on each side of the saw, with a vacuum pickup behind it.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #24
paulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Name: paul
paulm09tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i also have a 12" ridgid. it cuts like a razor. i love it. would recommend it to anyone. its too bad the stand costs $170. but still worth every penny.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsullyman View Post
I wonder if there is a substantial difference between the Kolbalt one and the craftsman saw, I see the one is more expensive, but they look identical.

I think that might also be the same as the Ryobi. I know that a few years ago Ryobi made most of craftsmans power tools.

Bottom line is it all depends on how often you will be using it. If you are gonna use it for one project a year than go with the cheaper.

I have quite a few Ryobi power tools and they are fine for what I use them for. If I were a contractor using them everyday I would buy more expensive stuff.

My ryobi stuff includes
13" power planer
12" Drill press
biscuit joiner
4" finish sander
18V drill w/ recip saw and stupid worthless circ saw
14A 7.24" circ saw
jigsaw corded (has good solid weight and feel to it)
power hand planer
table saw

The only thing I have had issues with is the blade is crooked on the table saw (I got it for free so I cant complain) and I have to occasionally tighten the bevel part of my jigsaw to keep it at 90 degrees. It occassionally comes loose. I use them for furniture building and DIY projects around my house.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: McLovin
HARDSHELLTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Dewalt...Enough said.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
Glamour Shot
ajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shedajohnson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ajohnson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 10 View Post
the rigids are guranteed for life so you can take them back if they fail. I know the one guy was talking about dewalt, stay away, they are not the same company that built there old great tools, shitty warranty and no service centers cuz they dont back their stuff. Get a 12 whatever you buy. There will be a time you need it and then the 10 will be worthless.
My company furnishes chop saws, so I don't own one but the one I use is the Dewalt in my company van. For me, Dewalt and Makita are the best. It also depends on the blade you use, your gonna know if you got a cheap blade.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #28
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 10" Rigid that I use around the house. It's okay, seems well built, but not entirely accurate. At work I use a small (8 1/2, I think) Hitachi slider. Don't really need a giant blade with a slider. The Hitachi is highly recommended by me. Also have a DeWalt 12" nonslider for anything the Hitachi can't handle. Rarely use it. I'd get the best slider I could afford. You can slide the blade out and put it right on your mark before cutting half way through your board to find out you missed your mark when using a nonslider. As far as cutting a 4x4, you're looking for a trim saw, not a chain saw. You buy a nice trim blade($$$) and you aren't going to be cutting 4x4's with it. Hope this helps you.

Products Discussed in this Thread