Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

air compressor opinions......

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
air compressor opinions......

getting a compressor for the garage pretty soon...and narrowed it down to 2.

first i was looking at this one.......

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...065&lpage=none

one by kobalt at lowes. 80 gallon,

and then i found out i get a work discount, so im looking into this ingersoll rand SS5L5.........and i can get it for around $625. has some pretty nice reviews too.

http://www2.northerntool.com/air-com...em-1592047.htm

im pretty sure a 60 gallon compressor will do all i need it to do at the house...even working on cars/trucks....running impact guns and such.

what ya'll think?? i think the ir is probably a better deal, and even tho its smaller...probably alot better quality than the kobalt.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i think the ir is probably a better deal, and even tho its smaller...probably alot better quality than the kobalt.
x2
As I'm sure you know, IR has a good rep in air compressors. It may be smaller, but I'd think the quality would be better.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta throw a vote to the IR....They are great compressors.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely go with the IR. It is more industrial, more durable and runs off of a single large piston instead three small ones. The IR is comparable to the recips that we run at work.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looks like the IR has a higher CFM than the other one too....
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Definitely go with the IR. It is more industrial and runs off of a single large piston instead three small ones. The IR is comparable to the recips that we run at work.
Actually, I think that model has a 2 piston unit. Its a paralell set up.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future4low2go has a brilliant future

4low2go's Tacoma Gallery
IR makes great compressors. Have a 175psi two stage 5hp 80gal, had it for about 5 years, and it runs like a champ. I usually have it regulated down to 100psi, and then increase the pressure when needed, like for a difficult balancer bolt.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
The IR looks like it has a 3 year warranty if you get the startup kit (synthetic oil) which is as good a warranty as the kobalt if that's of any concern. The reviews of it on the NT website are really good too.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

I'm pretty sure This is the one we got. No complaints, works great.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
kroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
buy a new house and have to fill it up? Looks like the IR is a smokin deal for you, but what do you need all that compressor for.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

I'm pretty sure This is the one we got. No complaints, works great.
Yes. But thats not one of the 2 choices given.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yes. But thats not one of the 2 choices given.
WEll I have no experience with either of them and am just being a good post whore......
and ummm, screw it

I keel you!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a Husky 60 gallon this past weekend. It's a repainted / rebranded Campbell Hausfeld, and I'm pretty sure the Kobalt stuff is too. I was in Tractor Supply and looking at the CH units, and the one that's 399 is the exact same as my Husky that was the same price. The IR units were out of my price range, but they sure look nice!

I plumbed mine in the basement / garage / shop area with all 1/2" galvanized pipe and used a 24" long 1/2" hydraulic hose rated for 2000 psi as the link from the galvanized union to a shutoff valve on the compressor. That way vibration in the line is minimized and we don't feel it in the floor in the house above.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
ive run an impact gun on a 2.5 gallon compressor no problem

60-80 should do you just fine
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
WEll I have no experience with either of them and am just being a good post whore......
and ummm, screw it

I keel you!
oh nO YOU DONT!!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #16
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroggy View Post
buy a new house and have to fill it up? Looks like the IR is a smokin deal for you, but what do you need all that compressor for.
i could probably get something smaller....but no point in doing so, since eventually im gonna put a lift in the shop and already have work plans for it. and $630 aint bad at all.

i think im gonna go with the 60 gallon ir.....hellava deal and the reviews are awesome!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Harbor Freight 25 gallon (forgot the HP) I have had for about 4 years...still runs like a champ. I have used it to paint multiple cars and use it for all sorts of tasks. I feel like I have gotten my money's worth at this point. I only paid like $200 for it.

I am going to buy a pancake compressor sometime in the near future for quick projects since it takes a while for the big one to fill up. I always empty it when I'm done to prevent rust from condensation in the tank
Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Craftsman (Sears) 30 gal. 1.5 hp compressor in 1997 and it still works great.

To this day I have done no maintenance to it other than draining the condensation from the tank every few months. BTW, it has a oil less motor.