1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Welding Questions

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by El Taco, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    to be honest i would go stick. i have been researcing welders for a couple weeks now and thats what i am goig with. mig has way to many settings for my liking, and mig you really have to use gas for it to be worth it. arc or stick welding is cheap and from what i have seen make better (stronger) welders they just dont look as good.

i am in the same spot as you man, i have looked and am going to choose between one of these:

the last one i have almost already ruled out. that middle or the smaller one is a F*CKING BEAST look on youtube that thing is pretty cool for its little size and little price. type in harbor frieght 80 amp welder there is som artist that uses it and he had it welding some thick stuff. the fact that its inverted is key.

you have a washer and dryer right? good chance one of those is 230/240 volt plugg into that. thats what i am going to do. at this point i am liking this:
    i dont know why people hate on the HF tools there great in my world. never had one break on me.

i am still new to this so dont judge me, also to the smart guys out there with the black smaller 240v welder, do you think i could weld smaller things like bicycle frames with it? or would it only work for the bigger stuff?

and too the orginal poster this is a good welder:

i think you could use it to welder your bumpers, as far as like trying to mount a winch to those bumpers at that point i would say i wouldnt trust that little thing. but as long as you dont make a crazy thick, or heavy duty bumper i bet you ??COULD?? get by using that. and remeber for a mig that can weld as strong as that little thing your going to pay atleast 2 times as much for.

2. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Toomacho

Toomacho Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Dawsonville, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access cab
    I have had the Lincoln Weld Pak with the Flux Core wire for years and love it. Very good for light welds. I have even done a few iight frame reinforcement welds on my 71 TR-6 and it did fine.
    True it is not like a 220 welder but for something that plugs right in to a 110 outlet it is fine.
    Just my 2 cents

3. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4

OK, I’m going to put my 2 cents in here and you decide! !! It has been my experience through the years that a good craftsman can accomplish a good job with a minimum of tools. On the other hand the less experience one has the better tools he/she needs to produce an acceptable job! ! !
    I would suggest that you purchase a machine that is better than you need and weld at mid range of its capability and before you weld on your bumper and sliders, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! ! !!! You will never be sorry.
    One last thing, with a machine that has an 18% duty cycle means you can weld 18 minutes each hour.
    That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! ! ! ! !

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I agree with Don, but the duty cycle is calculated as a % of a 10 minute period. 18% of 10 minutes means that you can weld for 1.8 minutes, then the welder must cool for 8.2 minutes. That calculates to 10.8 minutes of welding per hour.

5. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    x2 for the Hobart Handler 140. I have one and it's a great little MIG welder for something running on a standard outlet. Fantastic quality, and the 140 comes with everything needed to hook up gas when you're ready to get a tank.

6. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    just dont let some weld pop off and go into your belly button,it hurts so bad and you will have to rip it out,oouucchh.

7. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    :laugh:

8. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    Thanks for the correction but it is still a lot of down time when you are chomping at the bit wanting to weld, weld, weld! !! ! ! !:)

9. Jan 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I agree!

10. Jan 11, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Definitely get a machine with 50% duty cycle or better... 100% would be optimum, especially for those looongg beads!

11. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    Holling

Holling Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 DC TRD Sport
    Lincoln
    Hobart
    Miller
    You can't go wrong. Cheaper welders will more than likely become a source of frustration over time.
    I am partial to gas shielded MIG welding. Easy to learn and looks good out of the gun.

12. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Defiantly start with MIG. Start with smaller projects learning what happens when you adjust the power and wire speed, and how they affect the weld. Depending on how thick of a bumper you're planning on making 110V may not be enough. The shielding Gas really isn't too much of a hassle.

ohh and X2 on the at least 50% duty cycle........ waiting blows.

13. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I've heard that the Lincoln welders sold at the big box stores have different internals than those sold at welder supply places. Part #s are the same but internals are of a lesser quality.

Just passing along some potentially incorrect second-hand information.

14. Jan 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    Haven't heard that, probably true though.... I pretty sure that companies like Lincoln make units just for The Big Stores... "Home Depot Special"

15. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    El Taco

El Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    STP MN
    I appreciate ALL the inputs.

YES, i have considered many things and have looked at many angles and other possibilities into my decision on choosing a welder for my applications.

I obviously don't know much about the power outlets and their voltages (to include the amps each hold) in my house, so therefore my dilemma on choosing a 110 vs. a 240 type welder.

Taking classes at a JR college has also been considered, but i feel that doing good research and then buying a decent welder to practice may be a better route into "learning" how to weld. some classes take 2-3 courses before anyone can even touch or start the welding process. i feel the best route would be to start doing it to get better at it, while taking precautionary measures to ensure safety of course.

I understand MIG is "easier" and stick "takes more practice". I just don't want to deal with the extra costs of gases and the maintenance that is associated with gases. <<< As stated in my earilier posts, I'm trying to stay on the "simplicity" side as much as possible and not deal with many other potential add-on expences.

Also have checked on Craigslist often, but no good "deals" on there that's local to me. There are a few used lincoln AC 225 "stick" welders. <<< How are these machines, good enough for my application of building tube bumpers and sliders???

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.aspx?p=2493.

16. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    I am a carpenter that works with metal studs and have my welding certs and weld quite often in the light gauge area of 20ga up to 10ga.For most stuff a little 110 unit will get the job done unaided by gas.You can also fill holes you may make with it with easy.The trick is pratice and settings.Most units have a referance for the gauge of metal you are working with but most times depends on the welder himself and the speed you drag your weld at.I wouldnt bother with the stick ,that is a more advanced and angle of rod and such weight out more to the end product and with lighter gauges and lack of experance = burn throughs.A class may help but just working with it will teach you the most.Good luck!

17. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    Chester

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    I love the old 225 stick and use it at work often with 6018 rod,but with your experance level it is going to frustrate the hell out of you.During welding cert classes for my apprenticeship guys get welding rage going after a bit.I would stick to the wirefeed

18. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    indoheat

indoheat Active Member

Member:
    soMD
    Vehicle:
    take the welding class you were talking about before making your choice. i hate useing wire feed machines and would never consider purchasing a 120 machine. sure they are nice for little thin stuff but your range of use is very limited. i also weld for a living and maybe am a little picky. any kind of welding is frustrating to learn but i would stick weld before mig/flux. tigging is really the way to go however machines plugged into your home will never be able to produce enough heat. also a good grinder helps too

19. Jan 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    Chester

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    If you are welding 3/8's and up steel the stick will be alot easier to use for a novice depending on the rod you use as they all burn and pentrate different.With 6018 rod All you really need to do in maintain a 45 degree angle,and keep the rod away from the project about the same as the diameter of the rod you are using.If you get your amps figured out its damn near point and drag.Be smooth But like I said pratice!Oh and dont move faster than the puddle,as the puddle moves stay with it like a riding a wave.

20. Jan 11, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Also, you can weld Thick metal like 1/4 with a low powered welder like a Lincoln weld pack 100. Its all about prepping the metal. If you bevel the metal it makes it possible to weld that thick of a plate with a small welder. Or you can also do multiple passes.

Products Discussed in

To Top