Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

any body have tips on a yard sprinkler system?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
any body have tips on a yard sprinkler system?

I'm getting ready in the next few hours to go down to lowes and buy everything I need to put my sprinkler system in. I have sod being delivered Saturday morning! Right now I have a drip system hooked up to the front yard that was installed by the builder, I will be T'ing off that for the back yard.

The area is 44' by 18' for all but only 750SF of grass, because we are bumping out the back porch a little (6' x 13').

Just looking for some useful tips and tricks to putting this thing as smooth as possible. I've already started to dig trenches and what not.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't ask Chris how to fix the timer.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
Sounds like a good story lol...
just dont use the really thin wall PVC. the previous owner of my house did, and I want to kick him in the shins if I ever see him again. It breaks soooo easily.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
just dont use the really thin wall PVC. the previous owner of my house did, and I want to kick him in the shins if I ever see him again. It breaks soooo easily.
So are we talking the .125 stuff, sorry that's the only number i know
Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Desert Dweller
Holling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud ofHolling has much to be proud of

Holling's Tacoma Gallery
Masada,
Schedule 40 3/4" PVC is what you want to use.
Cry once and buy your quality valve(s) at Sprinkler World or Ewing.
Purple primer first then Christies Hot Stuff glue.
P.M. with any questions.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
.Don't be like my brother and draw up a plan on a grocery bag.
The basics are measure the water pressure
Draw up a scale drawing of the area, deciede which sprinkler heads you are going to use. With this you will get the coverage and overlap and number of heads on a circuit. Don't stretch the calc and say thats good enough add more heads than you think you can get by with. Its a lot easier to put them in now rather than later.

X2 on the Sch 40

make sure you have something good and sharp to cut the Sch 40 pipe, you will be cutting a lot of pipe!

Dig the trench deep, rent a good trencher. Don't think you can dig with shovel you will regret it

keep the plan you drew up, you will need it when you put in the pool or what ever in the future
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
sdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nicesdnicker2000 is just really nice
sdnicker2000's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to put your backflow (if you are required to have one in your town) so you can remove it during the winter so it doesn't freeze. This is how I did mine. I know it gets cold where your at!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Banned
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holling View Post
Masada,
Schedule 40 3/4" PVC is what you want to use.
Cry once and buy your quality valve(s) at Sprinkler World or Ewing.
Purple primer first then Christies Hot Stuff glue.
P.M. with any questions.
Yep, I went to lows and got the schedule 40 pipe and some fitting and went at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnicker2000 View Post
Be sure to put your backflow (if you are required to have one in your town) so you can remove it during the winter so it doesn't freeze. This is how I did mine. I know it gets cold where your at!
The back flow was already installed on the system so I didn't have to do this. I love my builder, they made it easy to do this house mod lol

One of my neighbors saw me digging around and came over and started talking to me. He works in the industry and gave me a way better valve for free! Such a cool guy.

All in all, it went pretty well for my first yard. I didn't have too many hiccups other than it raining while I was putting down the yard lol.