LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

$175 a Lowe's

Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
$175 a Lowe's

I've got $175 in Lowe's gift cards in the mail (Credit Card reward points I forgot about for 2 years).

I've got the basics. Sockets, wrenches, pliers, stuff to beat on other stuff, and stuff to stick it back together, and a box to hold it all. Don't need a stand-up tool box yet, as much as I want one.

Garage is basically a clean slate. While the previous homeowner was content nailing a bunch of shit to the inside of the house, they more or less left the garage alone.

Not so much worried about piecing together the little stuff like bike hooks and tool hangers. I need storage or work space.

I'm competent and planning on buying some gently used power tools off craigslist depending on how this decision making goes.

So with $200 to spend at Lowe's and an empty garage, can I afford enough lumber to build a work bench, shelving, or both? This is a crucial decision to be made before I step into the big boy toy store. Last time, I went to Lowe's to buy a socket to change my diff fluid, I left with a tool box. Time before that we went to buy home air filter, I left with WD40 and an extension cord and no filters. It's a problem.

Readyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy go.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I need a 4" angle grinder please.
Yea, it's next to the tool box. Lemme know when ur gonna stop by if you wanna borrow it. Eddie lost the disc removal tool so you gotta use locking pliers but it works fine :P Just used to to take the paint and surface rust off butters' sliders.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
$175 is plenty money to build a bench and shelving. Made this bench for under $100 a few months ago. Tools not included...
Attached Thumbnails
5 a Lowe's-image00001.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I need a 4" angle grinder please.
Got one....................
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Just used to to take the paint and surface rust off butters' sliders.
Thats exactly what I need it for. I gota touch up the shrockworks and do a TON of cleaning on the red truck (frame, front axle)
Old 03-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #7

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
$175 is plenty money to build a bench and shelving. Made this bench for under $100 a few months ago. Tools not included...
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at. Some work space and a shelf to get some off my stuff off the floor and organized. Then I just need some shelves on the side of the garage to organize a bunch of tough boxes and duffel bags.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #8

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats exactly what I need it for. I gota touch up the shrockworks and do a TON of cleaning on the red truck (frame, front axle)
Seriously, go to Lowe's and get the cheapest one they have. That was my recommendation from Bud (BudBuilt). The more expensive ones last a little longer but for 3x as much as a cheapo it won't as long as 3 cheapos would. I got my for maybe $40 and it's hacked apart skids, exhaust, bolts, stripped a set of sliders, sharpened axes, etc. Lasted me like 2 years now.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's a nice looking bench for under$100. Props.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #12

luni's Tacoma Gallery
Gift certificates came in today. I still have a fsckin couch though.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
A couple sheets of 3/4" plywood & some 2x4's goes a long way to a nice workbench w/ shelving! I'd either double the plywood for the bench itself or get thicker stuff for it.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats a goos looking bench!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
Seriously, go to Lowe's and get the cheapest one they have. That was my recommendation from Bud (BudBuilt). The more expensive ones last a little longer but for 3x as much as a cheapo it won't as long as 3 cheapos would. I got my for maybe $40 and it's hacked apart skids, exhaust, bolts, stripped a set of sliders, sharpened axes, etc. Lasted me like 2 years now.
yup, harborfreight FTW...haha I got my 4" angle grinder from there. used it to cut off my leaf spring center pins and an old clothes line post in the back yard.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
I know your looking for a workbench but I love my epoxy covered floors. Its something that should be done before you load up your garage with too much stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_224198-4-002...garage%20floor
Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #16
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you're supposed to lay your planes on their sides.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlancoTaco08 View Post
I know your looking for a workbench but I love my epoxy covered floors. Its something that should be done before you load up your garage with too much stuff.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_224198-4-002...garage%20floor
THis stuff is CRAP! I would know. I coat floors lol
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Looks good. What is the work surface?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #19
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
THis stuff is CRAP! I would know. I coat floors lol
That brand or epoxy floors in general?

I've had mine for nearly three years and it still looks great. I have a different brand though.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
talk to me b4 you buy a tool box, i have 2 and need 1