Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Lets see YOUR WELDS!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #21
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: I was a mechanic
JCfromDEMELLO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjdweldingman View Post
Here's my beads in MIG welding

and my stainless steel TIG test i just took yesterday.

sorry for the pix being soo big...
Elvis H. Presley ...well, I can make welds like that but I have to go lower voltage, lower wire speed and 99.99999999999999999% of the time they look pretty as hell until they come back from the powder coater and the sliders are covered in bubbles. Every time I weld like that, it isn't hot enough to seal around the seams and gas escapes in the ovens at the powder coater, making bubbles that we have to pop, scrape off, and fix up cosmetically with textured finish spray paint.

I'll still to my higher temp welds. See next post. ...but DAMN man. Good job.

J. C. P.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #22
JCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCfromDEMELLO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

This is what I do. Wanna see my welds in person? Buy a Demello product ...hehehehe, I had to, sorry.

Sorry if I over did it ...

J. C. P.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCfromDEMELLO View Post
This is what I do. Wanna see my welds in person? Buy a Demello product ...hehehehe, I had to, sorry.

Sorry if I over did it ...

J. C. P.
You do run way too cold.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #24
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by only_K View Post
You do run way too cold.
Maybe the last pic... That vertical looks nom.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_K View Post
You do run way too cold.
You think so? The only criticism I've ever gotten has been for running too hot. Hmm.

I do both, cold and hot. Just depends. I go hot as hell most times though, because I don't wanna be responsible for something failing and welds cracking on a trail somewhere. I'm professionally trained but self styled and have zero certs, namely because I don't plan on doing this for the rest of my life.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #26
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
in fab class we touched on oxy acetlene (sp) (i sucked at that) and we mainly featured in arc (stick) and mig. for my own use i figure im alright, but i would never trust my stuff for anyone else. only pic i got of my welds.. keep in mind it was a really awkward position with the tailgate right there in the way.

edit: ok yeah after i looked at it it looks pertty bad
Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
Always wanted to learn how to weld, as it comes in handy a few times a year. Have lots of friends that DIY their projects, and when I need something done I pay them in beer!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
NoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoKz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NoKz's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I miss welding. Took it in high school. But they canceled it my sophmore year. Teacher said I was a natural.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #29
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Scweet! I like this thread! Here's a pic sample I took of some MIG welds on the inside of the bumper I built for JD (Stillfly199). Not the best welds i've done, but not too shitty and in my favor I was using straight CO2 not mix. (note: the HAZ is not visible from this side of the metal, on the other side its visible and these welds were just slightly on the hot side IMO).

I think im going to buy myself a TIG welder. I've had a bit of experience with all other types of welding, but only a little on TIG and I'd love to master it. Clean TIG welds just look so badass.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #30
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I think im going to buy myself a TIG welder. I've had a bit of experience with all other types of welding, but only a little on TIG and I'd love to master it. Clean TIG welds just look so badass.

Im with you on that one, I do about 2-4hrs a day with a mig, and roughly 8hrs a week stick (on site jobs). Never really had the chance to mess around with a tig, I would love to have one to mess with and be able to get nice clean welds, not to mention not have to buy a new lense for my helmet every few weeks! haha.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #31
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
www.weldingsupply.com has lincoln tig units very reasonably priced
Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #32
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery

My personal best. Just playing around with the MIG welder in shop class.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #33
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got a chance to get some pics for this awesome thread. My welds are nothing compared to some of you guys but Im still a novice.
I've been building a jet ski trailer for the past week or so and its coming out great. I even used the old leaf springs off my truck on it lol.

the whole thing and yes it is going to have brakes!

sweet custom shackles haha. Oh and we normally use flux core so the tank is just bungeed on there for this build to get the pretty welds, at least when the stupid wind isn't blowing.

sorry for going off topic lol.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #34
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytacos View Post
what is that arc?
looks like mig too me. He said he was using straight CO2 which won't be as pretty as argon/CO2 mix. They still look really good though.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #35
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
looks like mig too me. He said he was using straight CO2 which won't be as pretty as argon/CO2 mix. They still look really good though.
Yep, you nailed it. Next time I think i'm going to go and do the mix gas because there is just so much less spatter to clean up and the welds look a lot nicer.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #36

Here's the welds on one of the shackle points on a bumper I just built for Oh-man. Still using straight CO2 on a miller 210
Old 07-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #37
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Question test

What do they score on with the testing? do they cut a cross-section out and see the penetration? porosity ?slag? Check for martensite?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #38
braaap

My new best. And no I didn't weld it with the carpeted block on there.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #39
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What do they score on with the testing? do they cut a cross-section out and see the penetration? porosity ?slag? Check for martensite?
here in canada most of the time its bend tests, see if the welds will break, cut a plate into three cupons bend them, if they break you can tell why: porosity,slag, incomplete penetration, dirt, are most common for making a coupon brake. I will post some pics of my welds later today and i will post pics of the coupons
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #40
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery

this is the only picture i've got