Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Mountain bike in short bed..... with front tire on

Old 03-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
it is what it is
09TRD is on a distinguished road

09TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Mountain bike in short bed..... with front tire on

Ok, I did search this and didn't find anything much on it. I was wondering how you guys/gals are mounting your mtbs in the bed of a short bed taco with the front tire on and the tailgate up. I have been turning the front tire long ways (because with it straight it won't fit) and tying it down like a motorcycle. Doesn't take all that long but just wondering if there was a better way. How do y'all do it?................
Old 03-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
it is what it is

09TRD's Tacoma Gallery
fail........... lol
Old 03-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just throw mine in the bed on it's side and bungee it to a tie down so it doesn't slide. I have a tool box that hogs space but I also have a a bed extender. If I'm carrying more than one bike, I bust out the Thule Hitching Post 4 (Name?) and stick it in the receiver. I avoid taking off my front wheel, it's a hassle.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
What kind Mtn bikes. I'm looking at a single speed 29er.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
NumbNutts will become famous soon enough

Name: Josh
NumbNutts's Tacoma Gallery
Both of my 29er's didn't fit unless I took front wheel off and used the Rocky Mount SD Clutch and even then the tail gate would touch the rear wheel and I would have to force it shut. Bed extender will fix that issue. I hated taking off the front wheel especially on my Pivot 429 cause I am running a thru-axel and with the single speed the front wheel never lined back up with the brakes and would rub so I bought a Thule T2. The back of the bed is so small you can't do much with it.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Its_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shedIts_Taco_Time is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Its_Taco_Time's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 of the "rocky mounts" bike mounts that sit in the rail, fits a pair of 20" mtbs great. No front wheel on though. Why wouldn't you buy bike mounts and take the front wheel off?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
it is what it is

09TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Taco_Time View Post
I have 2 of the "rocky mounts" bike mounts that sit in the rail, fits a pair of 20" mtbs great. No front wheel on though. Why wouldn't you buy bike mounts and take the front wheel off?

I have the Yakima fork mounts but don't like with fooling with removing the front tire. I have disc brakes and sometimes they rub a little and I have to re adjust the tire. I also don't like having to worry with putting the front tire somewhere.

There just isn't alot of options with the short bed....
Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to get a toolbox soon so I'm going to have to get creative.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
it is what it is

09TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I did just run across this, maybe this will help someone else

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-hauling.html
Old 03-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Nowhereman04 is a splendid one to beholdNowhereman04 is a splendid one to beholdNowhereman04 is a splendid one to beholdNowhereman04 is a splendid one to beholdNowhereman04 is a splendid one to beholdNowhereman04 is a splendid one to beholdNowhereman04 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
Nowhereman04's Tacoma Gallery
i got one of those Dakine pads 09TRD, and it works good, but i hardly ever use it. this is how i lodge mine in the back with a toolbox on it. been hauling it around like this for years and it dosen't budge.
Attached Thumbnails
Mountain bike in short bed..... with front tire on-0320001428.jpg   Mountain bike in short bed..... with front tire on-0320001428a.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Ran's Tailwind recumbent. A few years ago I bought a Sportworks rack. fits on the trailer hitch and the wheels sit into hoops with spring loaded hold downs. This rack is similar to the Thule tray rack but the trays are hoops on mine.