Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

How should I clean soot from tools?

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
claymc is on a distinguished road
claymc's Tacoma Gallery
How should I clean soot from tools?

Our family business burned back in January and we aren't rebuilding. We have basically finished the salvage process and now I have some of the tools. The good news is most of the tools were ok, because they were in a fire resistant vault. They are just coated with a layer of black soot since they were in so much smoke.
What's the best way to remove soot from the tools? I got mostly ratchets/sockets/wrenches but there are also a few power tools. Is Kerosene best? What would do a better job? I haven't tried anything yet.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymc View Post
Our family business burned back in January and we aren't rebuilding. We have basically finished the salvage process and now I have some of the tools. The good news is most of the tools were ok, because they were in a fire resistant vault. They are just coated with a layer of black soot since they were in so much smoke.
What's the best way to remove soot from the tools? I got mostly ratchets/sockets/wrenches but there are also a few power tools. Is Kerosene best? What would do a better job? I haven't tried anything yet.
when this happen to me i used wd40 and let them set in motor oil
good luck
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
No kerosene on the power tools!!!! If you can disassemble them, do so and use electronic cleaner.

For the regular tools, brake cleaner would probably be the best bet. Also, you may want to disassemble the ratchets to clean them. When you put them back together, dab some grease on the mechanism.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #4
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
brake cleaner
Old 04-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
I let all my sockets soak in WD40 overnight, then hit them with some old rags, and the cleaned right up. It wasn't soot, just caked on dirt and grime. I filtered the WD40 through a coffee filter and kept the container to use for the same thing. Seemed to work well for me. YMMV.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
claymc is on a distinguished road
claymc's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like several votes for brake cleaner. I'll give that a shot first. I tried WD40 on a few things and it worked ok. I want to see how brake cleaner compares.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I soak my tools in varsol, Or diesel for a few days. Take em' out and wipe them off and put them away.