Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Water Heating Question: House Related - Help Plz

Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Water Heating Question: House Related - Help Plz

Does anyone know how long it would take to get hot water when the water heater is 80 feet away going through 3/4'' pipe at 1.2 gallons per minute?

Someone asked me and I had no clue so I figured some of you smart guys would know what formula to use or how long it would take.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
1 foot of 3/4 pipe holds 3.5 oz. So you get about 1 gallon of water in 36 feet of pipe. 80 feet of pipe holds 2.2 gallons. So it should be just under 2 minutes. (I think)
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
1.2 gpm from a 3/4 pipe?
Seems way low. What is the water pressure like?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #7
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
The water pressure is 65 lbs psi, but with new Cali Laws and the faucet being a low flow that's why it's only flowing 1.2gpm out.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, so riddle me this... I'd like to know how much water ended up under my house when the pipe burst inside the wall. It took me roughly 45 minutes to get the water turned off at the street (partly because I am an idiot). Not sure what the actually water pressure is, but would assume around 65 PSI and there was virtually no restriction in the 3/4" pipe.

What is the typically rate of flow in a 3/4" domestic water line?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
LazyNavyTaco will become famous soon enough
Navy: ET2, USS Nassau, i work the radars and gyros
Name: Jared
LazyNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
The water pressure is 65 lbs psi, but with new Cali Laws and the faucet being a low flow that's why it's only flowing 1.2gpm out.
well i was a licensed journeyman plumber in Mississippi before i joined the navy and in my experience with low flow faucets getting more water out of them is simple. if you unscrew the cap at the end of the faucet that holds the screen you can remove the piece that restricts the water flow. but if your not happy with the time it takes you to get hot water to your faucet and you live in cali you might want to try the in line water heaters that dont actually make hot water until the water passes through them. not only are they vastly more efficient but here in Virginia im pretty sure they give you a break on your taxes for having them... just an idea....