1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cordless Weed Eater Experience?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kingston73, May 10, 2010.

1. May 10, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Need to get a weed eater/string trimmer and need something without a cord because I've got a big yard. I wanted to avoid gasoline engines if I could, but that leaves only the battery powered ones. Any experience with them? Is it a waste of money?

2. May 10, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    What's the matter with a Gas one??? If you have a big yard, I'd imagine that battery will drain on you pretty dang quick.

3. May 10, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    betz.steven

betz.steven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TE 4Runner
    I have one of the 18v Ryobi +ONE battery powerd ones and it works great, granted you arent going to be cutting anything serious down with it but for tall grass and weeds it does the job just fine

4. May 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    That was actually the one I was looking at, HomeDepot carries them for about $120. It's mainly going to be used for the fence line and around some trees in the back yard, nothing major. I also need to replace my old cordless drill, and the Ryobi drill that uses the same battery looks to be pretty nice, so I'd basically have 3 batteries for the 2 tools.
    How much useful life do you get from 1 charge?
    and how long does it take to re-charge?

5. May 11, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I second the gas notion...I have always used Stihl trimmers/edgers/hedgetrimmers. Great stuff, and lasted forever with a LOT of commercial mowing abuse.

6. May 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    I used the 18v Black and Decker trimmer. Average sized suburban yard and one battery lasted plenty long enough. Trimmed around the house, both sides of backyard privacy fence, and around the deck and edged the front driveway and sidewalk.

Then I moved and we don't have grass here.

7. May 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I bought a cordless one a one a couple of years ago. It was great at the beginning however after a couple of years one battery will barely get the front yard done, and I have to use a backup battery now just to finish the backyard. If or rather when I replace this one it will be with a gas powered.

8. May 11, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I use to sell the batery powered ones at lowes, I would pretty much never recomend them to customers unless they had a "Zero lot" home. You said you have a bigger yard, I would go with a gas for sure. I have two gas weedeaters. a 60 dollar one from home depot and a really nice stihl brand one. well the cheap one doesnt get used any more :D

the stihl one has a clutch thing inside it, once you let off the gas the trimmer head stops spinning, kind of a nice feature for when I walk through the garage from the front to the back yard

9. May 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Spend a little extra money and buy gas. Don't waste your time with that electric crap.

Also don't waste your time with that curved shaft crap too. Buy a decent straight shaft trimmer and you won't be disappointed. its way easier to edge with a straight shaft trimmer.

One of my neighbor's uses all electric crap including a lawnmower and its funny watching him mow getting the cord tangled around things. I cant wait till about a month from now when bermuda is so thick that his electric mower won't be able to cut through it. He just moved in and has never mowed grass before and thought electric would be the way to go. Maybe I will sell him my spare gas mower :D

btw its a trimmer not a weed eater :D ...thanks to weed-eater's marketing that term has become the norm.

10. May 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    ScubaCougr

ScubaCougr Active Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '08 PreRrunner
    nerf bars
    How big a yard / where are your outlets? If you can reach with a 50' -75' extension cord, I'd go that route. As powerful, one third the cost. I'm a fan of Ryobi 1...in 2-3 years when your batteries no longer hold a good charge, the batteries are cheap to replace, often by buying another tool [​IMG]

If you do need gas, I vote Stihl too...or at least don't cheap out. The higher price buys a decent engine that will hold up and start much longer.

11. May 11, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    agreed. I have had my ryobi for about 4 years and its about to shit the bed. It will soon be replaced with a stihl FS90

12. May 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    x2

13. May 11, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Gas all the way! Cordless trimmers are junk. Stihl or Echo are the best. My Dad has an Echo that is over 20 yrs old and still runs great. I can't get more than 4 or 5 yrs. out of the cheaper brands. Straight shaft is the easiest to use and more durable.

14. May 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Get at Stihl, you won't be disapointed. It will last a lot longer than the crap you can get at the big box stores.
    http://www.stihlusa.com/
    [​IMG]

15. May 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We have both..... The gas one for major jobs and edging. The chordless one gets used after every mow to clean things up / quick jobs. I have to charge the batteries almost every time because if I don't, it starts to die when I start use it again the next time.

Other than that...I love the chordless. It's light weight and you can whip around the yard with it. The gas powered is 'old reliable' and heavy duty for those bigger heavier jobs.

16. May 11, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    INVEST is a quality unit, not the home depot/Lowes crap.
    Highly recommendgoing to a professional lawn shop and spending a little extra cash on the professional gas units. It will last forever.
    spend the money today instead of having to rebuy and rebuy

17. May 11, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i have an older Echo SRM2601 and a somewhat newer Husqvarna 323L. both have been excellent. the Echo is more for brush cutting and has a saw blade, and i use the Husqy for trimming...the "L" series Husqvarnas are super light...you can literally use it w/one hand. all i have ever done to either is a plug change every couple years.

electric trimmers have potential...but won't be practical until new battery technologies arrive.

go with gasoline power. if noise is an issue, i believe some of the manufacturers offer "quiet" models...but honestly the string spinning & cutting makes more noise than my Husqy's motor does.

18. May 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

thats the one I have! it cuts like a dream:cool:

19. May 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    As homeowner I can't stress enough to invest in good equipment.
    Not only will it go a better job but 10 years from now you'll be saying, Damn please die so I can buy a new one.
    The tough sell is the wife. Why spent $300 to $400 on a weed whackers.
    We have 3 Home Lite POS weed whackers in our garge. They are best at taking up room and getting in the way.
    Now when I mention buying a decent one I get, we have 3 of them already.
    We had a cheap crapsman lawnmover for 3 years.
    I went out and bought a $600 honda lawnmower, she nearly KILLED me. That was 11 years ago. it took 6 pulls to get it started this year.
    Since then one or two pull and the baby is purring.
    She cuts the grass so every year I make a snide remark about the lawnmower, she casts the evil eye at me

20. May 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    macgyver

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    Exactly..not mention when you buy from the local dealer..you will get more support for repairs, parts, etc should that piece of equipment break than you will ever get from HD or lowes. Basically you won't get any help from lowes or HD other than..."send it back to the manufacturer" or they will let you return/exchange within 30 days of purchase.

Products Discussed in

To Top