Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Harbor Freight Floor Jack

Old 05-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Nothing beats a Butter Shave..
Hipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant future

Name: Tom
Hipster's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight Floor Jack

So I'm gearing up for my first DIY oil change (Mobil 1) at 5000k (Oil Stop did a dyno oil at 3000) and I'm going to switch out the rear shocks for Billys (thanks Toytec). I need to get a floor jack and was looking at my favorite cheep tool shop for one. The questions I have is on the lift height. Looks like the frame on the Taco is about 14" and the jack I'm looking at lifts to 16.5" Is that enough or should I be looking at the floor jack there that lifts to 20"??

Thanks for your help!

hip
Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
idk i have to use a 4x4 block now because i got spindles kinda sucks to be honest. but your at stock height you shouldnt need to jack it up just shimmy under there thats how i always did mine. but for the rear that jack should work lift from axle center but jack stands in the recommended area and lower the jack
Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I drive mine up on some ramps. No need for the floor jack.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
BuckshotJones will become famous soon enough
BuckshotJones's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BuckshotJones
the one you found will work fine, but IMO get one with a higher lift. It's not necessary at all with the stock height for doing oil changes, just block the wheels and shimmy under...plenty of working room. However when working on those shocks in the rear, the extra clearance can be a pretty big help. I've run out of free oil services at the dealer so I'm looking at getting a new jack too...
Old 05-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sears has a good 3 ton jack that lifts to 21". Never had an issue with it, and it will lift all of my trucks.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I just did a complete front suspension install with a horrible little jack that lifts like 12". I had to jack it up, put jack stands on the frame, the put some bricks under the jack and jack it up again to get to the correct height. It was horrible but doable.
You can see it in this pic.

I would get the highest lifting one you can afford.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-34271.html
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Hipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant futureHipster has a brilliant future

Hipster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
Yes, I was looking at both that one and an aluminum one on sale for $69. Looks like I'll go for the 20" one though for the extra clearance when I need to set the jack stands.

I used to have all this stuff (stands and floor jack) but I got rid of it when I had a company car (pharma rep), they paid for everything...drop the car off for service..pick up a rental...it was cake. I prefer the Tacoma though!

Thanks for all your help!

hip
Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I have this harbor freight one it goes to 21 inches, I would recommend it
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Haha I bet u got it cuz it's KTM orange huh?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
for the money, i would look into a racing jack...

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-92782.html

lift the truck from the pumpkin, then set it down on jack stands on the frame so you can cycle the rear suspension at the same time...

you can then install your rear shocks without having to compress the shocks...

then the floor jack is light enough to mount in the bed of your truck, so should you ever need to lift the truck, you have the convenience of a floor jack whenever, wherever...
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i had 2 harbor freight jacks. both died after 2 years of use. both the rams sprung a leak and theyd jack the truck up but you could watch the truck slowly sink back to the ground spreading oil all over the floor.

I bought a jack set from lowes and its been great. no leaks and it only takes one stroke to get the plate from full down to the frame. its fast and pretty rugged. had it for 2 years now no issues. $125 good price too

http://www.lowes.com/pd_89476-33680-...=true$Ntt=jack
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bigk0 View Post
Haha I bet u got it cuz it's KTM orange huh?
Haha, I know what I am going to spray paint now good idea .

I got this one cause after getting a blowout in my dads Yukon with 35s and the stupid bottle jack was like 12 inches tall and I was stuck lol
Old 05-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Craftsman jacks.My 3 ton lasted about 12yrs.. Just bought the 4ton Craftsman today. Lift range of 4-20". 150$
Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #17

Hipster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
I just may pick up that one. We'll call it the Katoom Jack! I'll park right next to my KTM 990ADV...