Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Satoshi fiberglass kit help

Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
AZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
AZtacoma05's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Satoshi fiberglass kit help

So I've never used fiberglass before but I have used epoxies. I mixed the resin with hardener as exactly as I could and mixed it and everything seemed fine. I put some on the plastic where I was going to put the fiberglass then put the cut cloth piece into the resin as the directions said.. as i pushed it in the epoxy turned into a gel and got really hot like it does when its hardening but the directions said I had 12 to 15 min and this was only after about 1 min. It then turned solid in about a minute after i pushed the fiber piece into it. What did I do wrong?? too much hardener??

The wired thing was that it was like pushing the fiber piece into the epoxy sped up the reaction.. I still have half the bottle left (about 4 oz) so hopefully I still have enough.. any ideas??
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Too much hardener is correct, that or you need to work faster.

Try not pouring out as much so you don't waste any and you can just mix more as you go along.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
AZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thats a good idea.. I guess I probably only need an ounce at a time. Thanks man I'll give it another shot!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got lucky when I did mine and it set up in 20 min. Good luck bud
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
If it set up that fast you used WAY too much hardener.

I've had stuff set up that fast, but was trying to see what it would do

Good luck
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
I just used barely enough gel that I thought I would need to coat the two pieces and I think I used 14 drops of hardener, mixed like a madman for 30sec, used the little stik that came with it to pour and spread onto a piece of wax paper with the cloth. After they were saturated, I think I had about 5-7min before it got gummy.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Hmm the wax papers a good idea.. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow.. I thought I followed the directions pretty well but I guess not