Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Starting Welding

Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Starting Welding

If I'm just starting out welding, never done it before would this be good to buy and what to look for
http://hiltonhead.craigslist.org/tls/1756906811.html
Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I would look for a better brand since I cant even tell what that one is. Will you be welding indoors? If so, stay away from flux core and get a bottle of gas, the welds will be much cleaner.

Look for a miller 140 (the one we have), a hobart, or a lincoln. You will be much happier.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
I'm Not Your F***ing Brother
Paul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaul's TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paul's TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from it. those little cheap welders are more a pain in the ass. If you want to start welding go ahead and to the home depot and get yourself the lincoln welder that has the option to weld with gas CO2 mix. this is the best way to go. It's what i have and make motorcycle frames and all kinds of stuff. My first trade was welding and have used all kind of machines, so I know these welders. really any comparable welder around $500.00 bucks is good. Stick to these brands, Lincoln, Miller & Hobart. they all make nice small gas-able welders.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I agree with getting a better one. That one said it had 10% duty cycle, that means you weld one minute and wait nine to let the welder cool down. I would get a welder with a higher duty cycle.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thanks for the suggestion, i was just thinking about getting this cheep one and messing around since most of my money will be going towards starting a new business
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I started recently too and picked up a Hobart Handler 140. Great little box and so far it's done a great job on everything I've welded.

My welding has been all outdoors so I'm using flux core. A bit sloppy but it works for now. The 140 came with everything needed (except the bottle, of course) for gas shield welding, so that'll be a convenient switch when I have room to do stuff indoors.

Once you get started you're gonna have a lot of fun welding. Incredibly useful skill to have.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
It comes with a welding mask?
Looks like a pair of cutting goggles too me

WTF are those guys selling it thinking of other then a nice future case of skin cancer.

Protect the skin from welding rays and always wear a hood.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
It comes with a welding mask?
Looks like a pair of cutting goggles too me

WTF are those guys selling it thinking of other then a nice future case of skin cancer.

Protect the skin from welding rays and always wear a hood.
seriously. You will get a nice sun burn in no time with those things. To the OP, make sure you invest in a nice welding hood with auto dimming. They are soooo nice!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I went through the same thing about 10 years ago and I'm glad I waited. I bought a Lincoln welder and played around with flux core. It's messy hard to do. I bought the regulator and a bottle and it's so much easier and cleaner. If you ever plan on welding sheet metal or anything that will show you will want the gas or you will be grinding little boogers off of everything. Also, that welder doesn't handle real thin wire so welding any sheet metal with it will be pointless.

That looks like one of those cheap Harbor Frieght welders to me. Chicago Electric or something like that. I'd hate to try and find parts for it in the future.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
seriously. You will get a nice sun burn in no time with those things. To the OP, make sure you invest in a nice welding hood with auto dimming. They are soooo nice!
yeah I can get a good deal on an auto dimming mask from my friends dad, I definitely wouldn't want to cheep out on safety
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500500-...5930972&sr=8-1

If you go for the package deal you'll get the welder, hood, and gloves for $551. If you're an Amazon Prime member you even get free shipping.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

If you go for the package deal you'll get the welder, hood, and gloves for $551. If you're an Amazon Prime member you even get free shipping.
thanks for the link! I thought it would be a bit more expensive, I'm getting a welder instead of a hunting bow now!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

I was looking at that same model.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6073_200306073
Old 07-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
toy4whatever is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
toy4whatever's Tacoma Gallery
Some of the cheaper welders are actually a great starting point if you don't have the funds for a name brand. I started off welding with a Lincoln 225 stick back in the day. My first welder that I bought was a Clarke 180. Itís a 220v welder that held up great for my smaller projects. Once I started making bumpers I quickly realized I needed a new welder. One thing to look at is the duty cycle of the welder. If youíre just doing small projects and welding a little at a time then a lower duty cycle will work. Also take into consideration how thick the metal will be. An 115v unit is good for up to 1/4" max. Welding with flux core is also a good starting point. Once you get good with it your welds will look professional when you get a bottle.
I would check out pirate4x4.com and the tool vender section. You can get a great deal and warranty for a cheaper welder like Longevity. I have one of their plasma cutters and I'm very pleased so far.