Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

New Garage Floor

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
New Garage Floor

Quikrete brand (made by Valspar) 2 part Epoxy base coat in Covered Bridge tint ith tan flakes and 2 part Clearcoat Epoxy top coat.
Attached Thumbnails
New Garage Floor-garage-epoxy-base-coat-flakes-clear-coat009.jpg   New Garage Floor-garage-epoxy-base-coat-flakes-010.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Very Nice! Is this the cabin garage or home?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Ya but where is the hoist ?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
onrjenbfv s;dn csdfl I'm still jealous of your "new" house (Isn't really new anymore since you've had it for a little while now)
Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
s2studio is on a distinguished road

s2studio's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome! Great job man
Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Wow...that's a nice garage!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
onrjenbfv s;dn csdfl I'm still jealous of your "new" house (Isn't really new anymore since you've had it for a little while now)
x2!!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
Just Enjoy Life!!
Fern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: San Antonio Fire Department
Name: Fernando
Fern's Tacoma Gallery
BADASS BRO!! I'm actually start that exact same project too but gonna do it in dark blue. Just gotta replace some sheetrock first and paint the walls. Was the Quikrete kit pretty easy to do?
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! I'm adding that to my admittedly lengthy wish list.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
BADASS BRO!! I'm actually start that exact same project too but gonna do it in dark blue. Just gotta replace some sheetrock first and paint the walls. Was the Quikrete kit pretty easy to do?
Yes, the quickrete base coat and clear sealant are very good and easy to use. HOWEVER, the BondKote that comes with it and claims to be a degreaser and etcher DOES NOT WORK. Consider it a dgreaser only. If you need to etch, you will HAVE to use Muritatic acid. I used the Bondkote twice and finally pissed it off and used acid. Be VERY careful with the acid, it's powerful stuff. No matter what is says on the box, it takes a full 30 days to totally cure and I personally am only putting vehicles on it with cardboard under the tires after a full week. ALSO, FOLLOW THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE HUMIDITY INSTRUCTIONS ON THE LABEL!!!! Also, if you use the 2 part epoxy, your ONLY use the 2 part clear coat. DO NOT MIX 1 PART BASE or SEALER with 2 PART BASE OR SEALER (you willl REALLY regret this mistake.....will ruin the floor).
Old 06-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
Just Enjoy Life!!
Fern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fern's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it comes out.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
waynesworld will become famous soon enoughwaynesworld will become famous soon enough
Name: wayne
waynesworld's Tacoma Gallery
good job dude.where did u buy it from , and how much was it ?did it take long 2 do entire job?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynesworld View Post
good job dude.where did u buy it from , and how much was it ?did it take long 2 do entire job?
My garage is basically 2 1/3 single cars dimensionally, so I bought 3 of everything. It took 2 1/2 cans to do the base coat but I covered the entire floor with only 2 cans of the clearcoat top coat. The coverage areas on the cans are pretty accurate: the base I think covers 200 sq feet and the clearcoat 300. The key to doing this correctly is in the floor prep. The acid eats away some of the cement surface and it is very important to thoroughly wash this cement dust off the surface...using a large floor squegee is a HUGE help...the epoxy will not bond well if there is powdery cement dust left on the surface. I used a 50/50 mix of 31% Muriatic acid because my floor surface had been troweled very, very smoothly so it had a dense surface layer. You should get your floor to where it feels like at least 50-80 grit sandpaper when you run your hand over it. I will tell you this, this epoxy bonds extremely well with the cement and Quikrete claims the cement surface will pull away before the paint does and I believe them. For this reason, the stuff is not supposed to lift under hot tires. I'll let you know in a couple months if this true.

I bought a pair of spiked sandals to where to walk on the wet paint to sprinkle the color flakes. I ended up not useing them as I painted small areas at a time.....but if you want to paiint a larger area and walk over the paing, the spikes are necessary. I had some flake clumping because I had to reach out and throw flakes. You will get a better flake dispersion wearing the spikes. I paid $25+shipping for them, if anypone wants them, I will sell for $12.5 plus shipping.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
Just Enjoy Life!!

Fern's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Pster,

How long did ya let it dry before ya started walking and parking in there again? I put on the 2nd coat of clearcoat Saturday morning and left it alone to dry ( I only used 1 can of clearcoat ). Its pretty hot here so it dried up pretty quick. I'm planning on putting up posters tomorrow and other things.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #18
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Pster,

How long did ya let it dry before ya started walking and parking in there again? I put on the 2nd coat of clearcoat Saturday morning and left it alone to dry ( I only used 1 can of clearcoat ). Its pretty hot here so it dried up pretty quick. I'm planning on putting up posters tomorrow and other things.
Fern, I called Valspar (they make this for Quikrete) and they told me that the epoxy technically doesn't fully cure for 30 days. They told me to put cardboard under the tires until then. I also think the humidity in the air affects the cure time. To be safe, just put down some cardboard after about 72 hours and you should be ok.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey Pster,

I haven't put my second coat of clearcoat on yet. Does it look noticeably better than one coat? I did notice that if water gets on the coating before it fully dries, you may get a white hazy spot. I think this stuff really reacts with moisture in a bad way.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Just Enjoy Life!!

Fern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
I haven't put my second coat of clearcoat on yet. Does it look noticeably better than one coat? I did notice that if water gets on the coating before it fully dries, you may get a white hazy spot. I think this stuff really reacts with moisture in a bad way.

Thanks for the info bro. Both my girl & I noticed a good difference after the 2nd coat. It just amazed me that it didn't take alot of the clearcoat to cover the entire garage even for 2 coats. That stuff was very waterbased. I noticed the haze when it dried if it was in a small puddle when I didn't roll it out evenly on the 1st coat. I think its worth it to put on a 2nd coat.