1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do I get this type of wood finish???

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by swise, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    swise

swise [OP] TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    I'm trying to duplicate this type of finish for a dresser I am making, but I don't know how to get it. (I have always used a tung oil finish or paint and have not learned any other finish methods.) It is the Merlot/ espresso that I see on all kinds of cheap new furniture.
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks

IMG00507.jpg
    IMG00508.jpg

2. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Are you asking about the gloss or the color?

3. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I am thinking both..........

4. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    It also helps to know what the dresser is made of (wood type)

5. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    swise

swise [OP] TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    yes, both - I'm trying to match the finish in the photos
    I have not decided what material to use yet - I default on poplar if finish will be painted. Im a big fan of African Mahogany with tung oil rub, but that limits color options for the piece. Im not sure what to use to make it look like the wood in the photo.

6. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:27 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I can't see any grain structure in the photos? Is it a laquer?

7. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Swise,
    When you have a chance go to your local Home depot & go to the paint dept. There you will find an 8' bay of MinWax Products. From the picture it looks like the "Jacobean" stain. depending on the species of wood, you'll have to xperiment to get the color right... as far as clear coating... that's also a matter of preference but I prefer to spray-on smaller pieces - it comes out nicer...
    PM me if you have any questions. I've refinished quite a few pieces of furniture...
    Good Luck!:D

8. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    swise

swise [OP] TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    I saw an episode of dirty jobs at a furniture factory where they had plain pale wood and applied a dripping painter mitt of some heavy dark stain or glaze or something and got the finish Im looking for. I dont think its regular stain because it had a polished sheen in one step.

9. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    From the pics it's hard to tell what wood that is.......mahogany maybe???? Doesn't look like it has much in the way of grain lines. If so, I would get a few small cans of stain and try them on a sample or a hidden piece of the furniture to see which matches best. Follow the directions on the can for staining the piece. For the top coat you just build up 2 or 3 coats of gloss polyurethane and finish with either semi or gloss poly, depending on what you are trying to match. The water based poly's works very well and are easy to use. You can even wet sand and wax if you want to go that far with it.

10. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    swise

swise [OP] TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thats the key - the finish is super opaque like paint, but looks like a gloss stain

11. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    X2 MinWax Products

12. Jun 29, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    swise

swise [OP] TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    I have tried the options in the past that you all have suggested, but did not get the look exactly. I guess I'm looking for a magical one simple coat application that will mask any wood type or color and give the finish in the pic. (besides paint:))
    Maybe more patience and skill on my part will help......

13. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:04 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    honestly, it will be tough b/c it is most likely some type of veneer over press board.
    the majority of furniture is made that way these days. i always just look around and
    buy antique stuff. the quality is alot better, plus you can sell it for what you have in
    it. a awsome product for furniture, is old english scratch cover. it is a liquid that is sold in 2 shades for light and dark woods. several rubbs of that stuff on furniture will
    make it look brand new.

14. Jul 16, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    I can't think of any one-coat cover I'd use to get a decent finish. Having refinished everything from dining tables to vintage guitars, there's a lot of different ways to get to the end but they all take patience, time, and multiple coats.
    The simplest is the stain/sealer, where you get the wood to the color you want, then I use a spray gun with polyurethane for the clear coat. Refinishing instruments is a whole different story and process.

Products Discussed in

To Top