1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

harbor Freight welder

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by mat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    mat

mat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    I just got a 90 amp wire feed welder as an early birthday present. I know its not that impressive of a setup, but it is so much fun to use, and it works great specially considering it was only 150 with a 2 year warranty. Ill try to post some pictures of my first beads later tonight!

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    fj6high

fj6high Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Tarpon Springs
    Vehicle:
    07' Fjcruiser
    6"Fabtech +OME Heavies and Custo Skyjackers. Way to much to list.
    I have a 20% off coupon and was thinking about buying that same welder. I really want to know if it works well enough to weld something thicker than a beer can...If I can get enough heat and penetration to weld a plate back onto the frame after a body mount chop.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    elite offroad front bumper, tool box, rustoleum bed liner, fog lights, alpine head unit, homemade bed extender
    well so far ive just been practicing on some 1/8 inch thick rectangular tube, and i gotta say im impressed, i dont even have it turned up all the way and its a super strong welder. Im goin make me a rear bumper first yoter! then im making a friend some skid plates, if it doesnt look to shitty im might try to sell some stuff but well see.

I would definitely buy this welder, but dont expect the welds to look good with the wire it comes with it splatters like crazy but ive heard lincoln wire and tips make it alot cleaner.

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    im almost done with my first project. Im building a bed extender out of some scrap i found at a friends farm!

5. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
  6. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    maestroz2

maestroz2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab Pyrite Mica TRD Sport SB
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech window visors, WeatherTech Floor mats, Access LE Bed Cover, Rocky Mounts Bike mounts, Astrostart 2-way Remote Start, TRD bronze beadlock wheels, Factory roof rack.
    I have been thinking about getting this one for a while now.

I got a 1970 cutlass as a project car and it only needs a little bit of welding so i didn't want to invest too much into one. This sounds like a good option, I think you just convinced me.

Some pics of your welds before/after Lincoln equipment would be awesome

7. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    anyone thinking abotu getting this welder to start out....do it. for the money, it's fantastic. my only suggestion is get some good quality wire. the stuff it comes with is shit.

i'm currently using it to build a roll cage for a small flatbed trailer that i'm turning into an off road worthy camper.

here's progress so far
    [​IMG]

and it is possible to get some nice beads with it.
    [​IMG]

Have fun with the new welder!!!

8. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    i will post pictures tonight if im not too lazy. My beads are not clean by any means but he is right the wire it comes with sucks. but 20 bucks for a bed extender that makes me happy

9. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Hmmmm interesting...I have been thinking about buying a welder for little welding projects.

10. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    mat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner sr5
    do it

im almost done with my first project!

11. Mar 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    just practice a lot, and you'll figure out how to lay a good bead witht he HF. i'm actually convinced that it's better to learn on a welder like this. after learnig how to get a good bead, consistantly, on this, whenever i go into the machine shop at school and use one of their real high quality welders, the welds come out beautifly with next to no effort compared to the HF one.

also, i've found that the lincoln tips i've switched over too make it a little easier too.

12. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    my friends step dad has one of these from like way back (still has it), what kind of wire did you use and where did you get it from? He's still got the wire it came with (along with the helmet lol). I have seen him do some test spots ... ... eh. but it's probably the wire he's using (also I don't think he's good at welding). Would like to see about practicing on his, and about the lincoln tips, what kinds fits/don't/etc?

13. Dec 22, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    harbor freight consumables are junk. can't remember the brand of wire off the top of my head, but i like .035 vs .030. just go to home depot/lowes/northern tool, or whatever you have by you and the wire there will be much better than what you have.

14. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    Nerd alert here, guys.
    I'm going to sound like a douche, but please be careful when welding stuff on the frame of your truck then using it at highway speeds. I am a dorkass that comes from a structural engineering background (I had to take a full semester of welding) and there are many factors that go into the quality of the weld. The simplest one is appearance, and many of you are probably judging the quality of the weld based on that. The appearance actually has not all that much to do with the strength of the weld. The electrode (wire or stick) has to be at the right temp and so does the base material. The bead can look beautiful like a roll of nickels sliding over, but it may not be bonded with the base material (because it's too cold) which could result in failure after only a little vibration (road bumps). Or contrarily, the base material could be significantly weakened from being overheated during the welding process, which means the metal under the weld could tear, again from only a bit of vibration.
    I'd hate to hear about someone suffering from a catastrophic weld failure at 70 mph. Making racks or tire carriers is one thing but doing stuff to the frame is something totally different.

15. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Slow down there chief, there isn't any serious welding going on with the Harbor Freight welder. It's good for basic projects-nothing structural. Nobody is going to be welding on sliders with it.

I've had this same welder for a few years now and it has served its purpose well. I've used it for personal use and light repairs at work.

16. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I've got one of those harbor freight wire flux welders, little bastard works pretty well.

I'll start by saying I'm def. not a welder, but I can stick 2 pieces of metal together & run a bead, ugly as hell but when you break test it, the metal tears away but leaves the weld intact, from what i was told thats a successful weld. that being said I had a friend of mine who IS a welder & had him give it a go... he was sticking all kinds of metal together of varying thickness, all being nice flowing,strong welds from what I saw he could weld sliders on a frame with it

17. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    DAVE94LIGHTNING

DAVE94LIGHTNING Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the 220v welder. Mug or flux. I'm still using the stock flux wire with no gas for basic stuff. Here's a welding table that I put some wheels on.

4b5403f7-9e49-26d7_8e7739bf7b2db7afc063af8fa577861c9f1cfab8.jpg

4b5403f7-9e8d-bf63_5239de4801188cf4fe7606f5ebe43ae98f35813c.jpg

4b5403f7-9ea0-a986_b650d9918b33a10b879677ea60f7c456e94f2e48.jpg

18. Dec 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    Mikehole

Mikehole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Short Bed TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec 3" Ultimate Lift w/ 285/75/16s and planning on OBA for sometime in the future. Also thinking about the HWMS and a Warn 8000 for it.
    (wipes sweat from brow)
    :)
    I'm just being cautious and encouraging others to do the same. I haven't welded for 15 years, so I don't remember much. What I do remember is laying what I thought was a perfect weld in class, then taking it over to the testing machine and having my tensile strength be woefully short of what it should have been.
    I didn't mean to sound like a nagging mother.

19. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I know this is a old thread.. But i thaught i would add to it.

I just got the 90 amp harbor freight welder, auto darkening helmet, the welding cart, and other stuff.
    I descided to go to Home Depot and get good .035 wire and contact tips, Also gloves...

Im a nube welder, just got it for learning and small projects. So far so good. It works perty good. Im happy with my purchase. :)

20. Nov 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    I got mine a few months ago and have done small projects like seat brackets for my jeep, exhaust hangers, etc... I also whent to Home Depot and got better wire. Not bad for $90 in my opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top