1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to safely remove paint off cement garage floor

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by TacomaPrime, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime [OP] Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'm not just talking about a spot of spilled paint. I'm talking the whole garage floor.
    bought my house 3 years ago, and someone who owned it before us PAINTED the garage floor, with what appears to be just regular paint. Well, after 3 years of driving on it, it is chipping off. Then it gets wet and on our shoes and we drag it into the house and all over the carpet.
    So the wife and I finally said enough. We are going to take the paint off, and either do that epoxy stuff, or do the race deck garage flooring.
    How do I get the paint off? Can i just get paint stripper and apply that and then scrape it off?
    Thanks!

2. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    It's going to be nasty any way you do it. Sounds like there isn't a vapor barrier under your garage floor. Test some stuff. There is paint remover. Gas is way to dangerous. Sand blast it.

3. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    It will be difficult, unless it is coming up by itself anyway. My guess is that it is only chipping in some areas. Sandblasting is an option, but it might be expensive. There is a tile product that snaps in place - floating floor, so it does not get glued down on the floor. You might be able to install something like that over the painted floor and not have to worry about getting the paint off.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

4. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If it really is just paint- Can you rent a floor sander and/or pressure washer to strip it up??

5. Jan 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Depending on how big your garage is, putty knife and a heat gun will work and avoid the use of chemicals. Otherwise paint thinner would work to soften it also but the clean up would still take a while and be messy. To avoid fumes and chemicals, I'd go with a putty knife and a heat gun. It'll be tedious but will get the job done.

I'm assuming the floor is a hard trowel finish (flat) and not a rough finish?

Edit: Brunes' idea of the pressure washer is a good one, they're effective paint removers.

6. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    yeah, thats like the race deck garage flooring. unfortunately, it's not cheap.

7. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    x3 on the pressure washer

8. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    Sand blast it, get a floor sander like said above. Then i would epoxy it and re-do it, seal it,e tc.

9. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Pressure washer with the highest psi rating you can find, like 3300.

10. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    With the pressure washer, aim towards to outside or you'll get paint all over your walls. Another option could be to steam it off and scrape as needed.

11. Jan 23, 2012 at 2:27 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    They sell floor scrapers which should work decently. They have an 8-12" changeable blade that is pretty sharp. they tend to be used to remove glue from old tiles.

A floor sander would also work. You will likely go through quite a few sanding pads though.

If you can go larger a sand blaster would remove it best, and the sand can be reused sometimes. This will remove every bit of paint guaranteed, but will leave A LOT of dust in your garage to be cleaned up. They also make industrial sand blasters which you may be able to rent which would do your whole garage in about half an hour. The dust while using these is very bad for your health and a respirator is the MINIMUM of what you should be wearing.

A pressure washer will remove paint. The fan setting may remove quite a bit, but not all. The jet setting will remove almost all, but it would take forever to do a whole floor with this setting. The water can damage the drywall and create mold.

Chemicals can soften it up and make it easy to remove with a hose or scraper. They tend to be bad for your health, and some can create a potential fire or explosion hazard.

If it were me I would start with the scraper and get as much as I could up and then go back over it with the sander to remove whats left.

12. Jan 23, 2012 at 2:33 AM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    rent/find some one with a good power washer and they can get it up quick.... our 13 horse rap's through paint.

13. Jan 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I was think of the scraper too.

14. Jan 23, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
  15. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    degraaf

degraaf Old School

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC Limited TRD Tacoma
    Method Racing 16" rims, Old Man Emu 883 springs w/Nitrocharger front struts, All-Pro expo leaf springs w/bilstein shocks on rear, deck plate mod, gray wire mod, ARE cap.
    A scraper won't do much except get the loose stuff off. I've done my entire basement and then stained the concrete and I've put an epoxy finish in my garage.
    If you're garage seeps water up through the concrete, you might as well cross out epoxy, as it won't stick well. You have to do a test on an area.

I've had the best luck with my concrete basement floor refinish and after doing my garage a different way (pressure washer cleaning and then muriatic acid wash), I'd only do it the way I did my basement, which was with a rented Home Depot drum sander. Don't tell them you're using it on concrete though or they won't rent it to you.

Get a drum sander with the most aggressive grit rolls. You need to grind down the concrete so it's absolutely clean and spotless. You'll need to wear a good respirator, not just a dust mask. If you have an area soaked in oil or something then you need to clean it first with muriatic acid (be very careful). Once you have the entire floor ground down to bare clean concrete, you can apply the epoxy mixture by following the directions on the packaging.
    I think you're wasting your time if you do it any other way... speaking from experience.

16. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    they paint with the sand or other gritty stuff in it or add to it and maybe you could just repaint..:notsure:

17. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    Piant stripper, followed by a good sanding...Home Depot rents some pretty bad-ass sanders.....just finished my man-cave!!

IMG_1476_43f5deaf1aad1f9e9aae78942a99b4ebfb65c0a1.jpg

18. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Looks great Roy. I was just thinking of some ceiling height shelving.

19. Jan 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I've had to remove paint from a garage floor once when I didn't prep the floor properly and it started peeling within a week.

I used a 3,400 PSI pressure washer (the bigger the quicker it takes) and pressure washed it all out, then once the water dried off the driveway I swept up the paint chips with a push broom and vacuumed up what the broom didn't get with a shop-vac. Haha your neighbors give you funny looks when you're vacuuming the driveway.

Also, do the ceiling storage! It's GREAT! I put 2 4x8 platforms above my garage door. It makes great storage in an area that's usually wasted space.

If you plan on re-painting the floor. Make sure you prep, prep, prep and more prep. Take their prep directions and do it twice. Then use a 2-part expoxy. Don't buy that 1 part garbage. It doesn't work and will chip up again. I did the rustoleum 2-part a year ago and it's still holding up great.

20. Jan 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    RoyR

RoyR Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Billies, TSB
    Yep, it's all about the prep...I didn't use the concrete edge that came with the kit, pretty useless IMO, get some real stuff. I used the 2-part water-based epoxy coating, probably should have used the "EPOXYShield Professional Floor Coating" that is a 2-part solvent-based epoxy.

The overhead shelves are the best, you'd be amazed at how much stuff is up there. I also used the 4x8 sheets...pre-painted everything and used lag bolts to secure it.

Products Discussed in

To Top