1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maytag fridge/freezer ice maker water freezing?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Zac808, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Feb 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 [OP] Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Yes, I know, that's what it's supposed to do. But it's doing it on the halfpipe from the rear of freezer to the ice maker. I squirted hot water on it last week to melt it off. And within a week the thing is frozen, not allowing any water to the ice maker. Any suggestions??

2. Feb 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    If you can post a pic of the inside where th I/M is located. Include the sides of the inside

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This is what I do for a living. You either have low water pressure to the fridge, or a leaking fill valve.

If you have a reverse osmosis system (RO), that is the likely culprit. They only run at 30-35psi when everything is perfect, and they drop under any kind of load (filling a pot at the tap on the sink). The fridge needs 30 psi constant to hold the icemaker fill valve closed. If it drops too far, water leaks into that fill tube one drop at a time and freezes.

It's possible the valve itself is bad, but I don't see that often on Maytags. Usually we check the water pressure and it's low. If you have RO, the solution is to call the RO guys and have them get the pressure back up where it needs to be. It's not going to be the first time they've heard of this problem.

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 [OP] Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Yes I do have the RO.:( I'll give them a call. I have been noticing the RO tank under the sink has been making a vibrating de-compression sound when using the RO water.

Products Discussed in

To Top