1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Im an addict - tools

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by packfan88, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    I dont know why but I buy everything. Even things you can borrow or rent like a coil spring compressor or a ball joint removal tool.

I bought a hand held Porter Cable router to use on one project. And a router bit set. Sitting on a shelf.

I bought a shop press to use on a Camaro bushings. $100 taken apart and put on a shelf to be used again....no idea when.

I have cases and cases of things on the shelves in my storage unit (no garage).

If i can justify it by saying "i need it atleast once" ill buy it.

2. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    The money you saved by doing your projects yourself probably paid for the tools.
    Now about all those tools collecting dust, I hate to see them go to waste. You could always send them my way. I promise I will use them and dust them regularly!!;)

3. Mar 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever Get Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Tacoma Sport
    Check Out The S/C Build
    This reminds me of when I bought a pulley puller for the supercharger. Still have to do the job but I don't know if il ever use that puller again lol

My father might borrow it here and there for work

4. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads

the cases or boxes collect dust :D like new inside.

5. Mar 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Im right there with ya dude, not quite as bad as buying stuff that you can borrow or rent from Autozone, but I am ALWAYS looking for reasons to buy new tools. Power tools, hand tools, it don't matter I LOOK for a reason to need them so I can justify buying them. When I do, I don't only get the one little piece that I need, I have to have the whole set of em, like once I needed a torx bit for my Mustang, I knew what size I needed, that part was given to me in the walk through I was reading. But I drove right at 40 mins to get to a Sears store (Autozone tools don't cut it for me, I like CRAFTSMAN), I paid through the nose for a large set of torx bits. Yeah I could have made a 5 min drive to Autozone and paid 10 bucks for the bit that I needed but nope..... I had a reason to buy the set. LOL.

6. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I too Have this addiction. I have Bought Tools that I haven't even used yet! I bought spring compressors that I still haven't used. I think it is a Better addiction than smoking and alcoholism because even if you never use it you still have something to show for it. I also don't like to through things away like scraps of metal and such because I never know when I might need something like it to maybe fix something else. I fear that I'm a hoarder like that. The Problem is that as a child growing up my father always had some piece of junk laying around that he could use to fix something else and for some sick reason I aspire to be like that. How ever sadly I just had to move out of the house I was renting and downsize to fit into an apartment. I had to let a lot of stuff go. It was sad. All My tools are in storage now and I feel vulnerable not being able to get at them.

7. Mar 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I do it, too. I like good quality hand tools, Harbor Freight is good for things you don't use a lot. I have a 2-stage compressor and an engine hoist for crying out loud.

I also hoard anything mechanical or electrical in case I need spare parts. I do occasionally go through it and throw stuff out that has not been touched in a year or so, and it does not cause me too much grief. So I think I am OK.

8. Mar 23, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    My grandpa dad and I both have this same addiction-were good on tools but Im still buying stuff we have 3 others of cause its a good buy, or Id like one to keep in X or for a backup lol

9. Mar 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    I am seriously addicted to buying tools, and just the fact of having them. I can never walk into a store that sells tools and walk out empty handed even if i end up buying something i already have. Especially if its on sale i am buying it. Just today i went to Sears to get an attachment for my shop vac and ended up buying impact socket sets they had on sale even though i have about 7 different socket sets already. If my GF wasn't waiting in the car for me i would have probably found other things. Over the years i have accumulated 1000's of dollars worth of tools, and i keep them neat, clean, and rust free after use.

My uncle that is ASE certified is always trying to buy tools off of me since i have so much of the same stuff.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top