1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to fix this house door?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by CUtacomaTIGER, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER [OP] Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    I guess from repeated attempts to open door when it was locked and cheap wood caused this to happen. Not a break in or anything like that. So how would you go about repairing this? I have a little bit of knowledge on how a frame house is built but was not a construction science major and don't have many non-mechanics tools.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sep 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    deog

deog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    snicklefritz
    Las Vegas. As far west as you can go.
    Vehicle:
    work in progress
    gucci interior and chandelier.
    Replace the one jamb side. or clamp it all back in place, counter sink and screw it back together to the stud behind it, bondo and paint.

3. Sep 5, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    There are jamb reinforcers that can be purchased at any Lowe's/Home Depot etc. But it would be best (especially with the leg damn near split all the way) to replace the jamb leg and then add the jamb reinforcement. Single jamb legs can be had for $20 or so.

4. Sep 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    I would buy an entire new jamb for that size door and replace. Take door off hinges, remove hinges from existing jamb and save or replace with new, then rehang door. That jamb is in disrepair. (in this carpenters opinion)

5. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You might be able to glue and clamp it back together but whatever you do , replace the deadbolt with one that has a security plate that is secured to the framing with large screws behind the decorative top plate

6. Sep 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    ok thanks guys. you've got me started.

my plan is either:

replace the striker side door jamb, install striker plate preferably with a box and 3" screws to dig into 2x4s

or glue up existing broken striker jamb best I can and install fix/repair metal jamb around glued/broken original.

7. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    so i went ahead and replaced the entire leg jamb and put new striker plates with 3" screws.

I broke the outer trim so I need to get a new piece and put some foam or other kind of insulation in the gap btwn the jamb and stud, but other than that i'm good and will post a pic

now I need help with the following for a friend (the door was for my mother). I'm too helpful.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/general-automotive/294292-04-chevy-colorado-vibration.html

Products Discussed in

To Top