1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why would a spark plug blow out?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by sooner07, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Jul 3, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 [OP] 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The lady friend drives a 99 civic. The she was driving though a hilly area and said the car was acting sluggish and the CEL came on and then went way. After that, the car drove fine.

Today, coming back through that same area the car did the same thing, but didn't get better. A few miles latter she described the sound the car was making as that of a lawn mower and the CEL stayed on.

When she got home, I opened the hood and could see one plug wire laying out and no plug to be found. I don't see any damage to the threads in the block. Anyone have a guess as to what the underlying cause might be?

2. Jul 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Somebody forgot to tighten it "correctly". There is no way it would fall out otherwise.

3. Jul 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 [OP] 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Pulled the codes and it was showing a misfire on all 4 cylinders. I figure when it blew the plug out, and that cylinder was getting 0 compression, that they others all started losing timing.

I looked at the piston head and didn't see any damage, so I am pretty sure it didn't detonate or physically touch the plug. So, at least I have that going for me.

After changing the plug and the plug wires, I restarted it and it sounds fine. No codes are popping up. So, I guess that plug just worked its way loose and then finally was pushed out by the compression pressure.

4. Jul 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I bet it just was forgotten to torque and just hand threaded in

5. Jul 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I had an '82 Corolla that used to launch them like Scud missles every few months. The threads in the head were worn or something. Loud bang, run like shit, pull over. The plug was usually still attached to the wire. I'd tighten it back up and drive away.

Products Discussed in

To Top