Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Soooooo Who just got a 1992 Chevy 1500

Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Soooooo Who just got a 1992 Chevy 1500

Yep! ME! Because my budget was so low and I couldnt find anything decent as a platform truck for Project Zero Racing Baja truck, I have bought my Uncle's old truck. It needs alot of love right now.

I am going to semi-restore it and then sell it so that instead of a $500 budget for a truck, It'll be in the high $1k and low $2k. Also gives me more money for parts for my truck.

I will be going hopefully this weekend, or tomorrow, to pick it up. I will take plenty of pictures, Before and After.

Right now its a dark red, almost like the Impulse Red on our trucks. Should I keep it that color? Or go with something alittle cleaner...?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a 4x4? I did the same thing kinda... My uncle got a 09 F150 so i bought his 2000 F150 4x4 for 2k put super swampers on it and using it as my off road rig/project truck
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Well I forgot to add that I bought this so I could get more experience in with mechanics, Make it look close to showroom condition again and then sell it so I can get in the thousands.

But to answer your question, its not. I most likely will take out the motor and transmission and put it in the race truck.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
So how do you plan to restore and sell a truck with no motor or transmission??
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you just wanted an motor and tranny you could have bought a used LQ4 6.0 out of a later 1500 HD or a LS1 from just about anything and not have to bother restoring a vehicle.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
So how do you plan to restore and sell a truck with no motor or transmission??
Cards are in my hands right now. I could do so and then put in a crate engine and transmission.

At the shop we have 2 motors just lying around, one for sale and one being a donor engine for the FJ40 we are working on. I might just take one of those. It also depends on if the motor runs well enough. It does have 225,000 miles on it.

The transmission is a 5-speed with a Chevy Small block. *that is at the shop now.**
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If you just wanted an motor and tranny you could have bought a used 6.0 out of a later 1500 HD or a LS1 from jsut about anything and not have to bother restoring a vehicle.
Back to where I was about a month ago. I have very little funds running through my bank account right now. Anyways a 6.0L Chevy engine would be WAYYYYY too heavy for Baja.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Back to where I was about a month ago. I have very little funds running through my bank account right now. Anyways a 6.0L Chevy engine would be WAYYYYY too heavy for Baja.
Iron block with aluminum heads. They aren't that heavy and weigh more than a fill iron block and head engine out of a 92 truck.

If you don't have money then why burn what you have on a truck you are just going to burn more money on that probably won't sell without an engine and trans.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Ok am I forgetting to say something here?

I bought this truck so that I could restore it and then sell it to get more money towards my race truck. Taking the engine and transmission out of the Chevy was just a thought. I dont know for sure yet what I'm going to do.

I have alot of inside deals with the shop and with companies around Auburn. I'll just see what happens and how bad of shape the Chevy is in to think any further.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but maybe you should wait before you get into something like this, if you don't have any money for it?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Truck View Post
pics?
Not any at the moment. It looks like this though. I think its a short box though.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...DSCN0583_1.jpg
Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Banned
So you are wasting money on a truck only to waste more restoring it when in the end you will probably just end up even? Do what you want but I wouldn't do it. Just have patience. Some projects take years to make they don't just happen overnight unless you have unlimited cash.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but maybe you should wait before you get into something like this, if you don't have any money for it?
x2 why dump money into something that may not net you any return in the long run?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
agreed. sorry man. doesnt seem like a very wise financial decision to buy a truck based on your current financial situation right now, only wanting to spend more money to fix it up.

Save the money you would spend on buying the truck and the money you would spend on fixing up the truck. you will be better in the long run. this purchase seems more of a liability than an asset.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...I'm not completely broke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So you are wasting money on a truck only to waste more restoring it when in the end you will probably just end up even? Do what you want but I wouldn't do it. Just have patience. Some projects take years to make they don't just happen overnight unless you have unlimited cash.
Nope. Just enough money put into it to make it run smoothly and look like it did at the dealership lot in 1992. This doesnt mean replacing every bit of part there is on the truck. Mostly maintenance and just cleaning it up..Very little money involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
x2 why dump money into something that may not net you any return in the long run?
It will. Like I said, very little coin will be put into it. I'm going to stretch my dollars.

Dont say it cant happen, cause it can. Saying this to everyone. I just found 5 1/2 half life(Little more than-) Nitto Terra Grapplers from someone on here for $125.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Nope. Just enough money put into it to make it run smoothly and look like it did at the dealership lot in 1992. This doesnt mean replacing every bit of part there is on the truck. Mostly maintenance and just cleaning it up..Very little money involved.
Just wait until you start working on it. It will need this and that and all of a sudden you dumped a pile of money into it when you could have just saved to build the real project. Like I said earlier you can do what you want but it doesn't sound like a smart idea. You are expecting to spend $100 and get $5000 more than what you spent on the restoration but you won't get it.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I've learned its always best to put aside however much money you think a certain prject is going to take. then add another 25% to that for fuck ups and just in cases.

If i were you i would just save my money and get what i really wanted from the beginning. not some old beater chevy.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of maintenance can be done for almost free. All you need is a shop with ALOT of tools, great personnel to work with you, and PB Blaster and some starter fluid.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #20

Yeah, because I tell ya what, people are paying big money for 2wd 1992 Chevy 1500s with 225k on them.

I wish you the best of luck. But I still don't think it's a smart financial decision. And "restoring" and "cleaning" are 2 different things, fyi. To get showroom new will require some $$$.