Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

If You Had To Replace Your Tacoma Regarding MPG...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
If You Had To Replace Your Tacoma Regarding MPG...

...what would you get?

No haters here please. Might be considering selling the Tacoma and having to buy something that gets better mileage due to several factors...all of course coming down to financial reasons. The thing is, I have been fishing around looking at cars (for some reason primarily VWs, Acura TLs, etc.) and have yet to find anything that excites me as much as getting my truck did. Sure makes it hard to really consider the whole option lol.

Skip the jokes and kidding around. Im curious what those of you would buy if you needed a fun and reliable vehicle that gets better mileage than your Tacoma for highway driving. Something that is still in the same region pricewise as the Tacoma as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
A 4 banger taco???

Just downgrade but keep it real... Well as real as a 4 banger gets I guess. lol
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Cars with good mileage generally aren't that exciting
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
akyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud ofakyota has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
akyota's Tacoma Gallery
The 4 banger!!
Old 07-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Probably an Infiniti G35/37. How much improved gas mileage are you looking for? Acura TSXs have a fun 4 cylinder with a 6 speed, and get 30mpg or so.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
VanCity Taco.
ilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to behold

ilg's Tacoma Gallery
VW GTI 2.0T or even a Subaru WRX would be my first choices if I had to get something other than a Tacoma (even a 4cy).

But assuming you live in the US, just be happy you don't pay as much for gas as we do in Canada or even Europe for that matter
Old 07-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::childstoy:: View Post
A 4 banger taco???

Just downgrade but keep it real... Well as real as a 4 banger gets I guess. lol
The hell with that. The only Tacoma that exists in my world is a 4x4 DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Probably an Infiniti G35/37. How much improved gas mileage are you looking for? Acura TSXs have a fun 4 cylinder with a 6 speed, and get 30mpg or so.
Not sure how much specifically. Something in the 25-30+ range for sure obviously. I have been putting a lot more highway miles on than I anticipated, and with my wifes new career change we had to modify our living arrangement to accomodate her drop in pay (but greater earning potential in the long run!)

Who knows.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2009 4- banger 4x4 acess cab, i get 28mpg, but I take it easy and am rarely loaded down. When I do insane long trips for work, I take my dads 2002 VW TDI Jetta and get 54 mpg. VW are very reliable, but you pay and an arm and a leg to get them fixed. Personally, I want to get a Mini-D imported...or to have the US allow them...they get around 75 per gallon and are ridiculously fun to ride in (only road in a gas one, but I am sure its the same ride for the diesel one)

Just my two cents!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonesTrumpet View Post
I have a 2009 4- banger 4x4 acess cab, i get 28mpg, but I take it easy and am rarely loaded down. When I do insane long trips for work, I take my dads 2002 VW TDI Jetta and get 54 mpg. VW are very reliable, but you pay and an arm and a leg to get them fixed. Personally, I want to get a Mini-D imported...or to have the US allow them...they get around 75 per gallon and are ridiculously fun to ride in (only road in a gas one, but I am sure its the same ride for the diesel one)

Just my two cents!
The best mileage I've ever got out of my 2008 4 banger 4x4 access cab is a touch over 23 and that was all highway. I'm not saying you didn't achieve 28 mpg, but the op needs to know that 28 mpg is unusual for a truck rated at 17 city, 22 hwy. My truck in mixed driving gets a respectable 21 mpg.

Good call on the Jetta tdi for gas mileage. In my area diesel is now cheaper than gas. Added to the amazing gas mileage figures of the tdi, you can save a lot of dough driving one of those. That is if you can get one for the same price as a gasoline powered car.

My suggestion would be a car I own. A Honda Civic EX coupe. It handles good, has great steering and brakes, and averages 30 mpg in mixed driving. I was very surprised how much fun the car is to drive and other than a broken sun visor, it has been typical Honda reliable.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
A smart car, jk. Prob a 4 banger single cab taco
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Right now I'm not thinking about replacing my Taco but getting a second vehicle that gets better MPG. But if I was replacing for a new car I'd consider a GTI, Rabbit, Golf, Civic, XB, Soul, Focus, TC or Yaris but if I was going for used I'd also looks look at CRX, Integra, SI hatch or RSX. No truck in there because a truck is a brick and although a 4 banger Taco will get pretty good MPG it doesn't compare to a 4 banger car.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha Zuma for sure

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
id say a vw tdi. check out fuelly.com and look through what people have put in for their vehicles. i know with my friends tdi jetta he can get 1200km (not sure in miles) and is about half what my taco 4 banger is to fill up (talking price here).

there is also a nissan cube, but i think those are fugly just like the xb. but it is a possibility
Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
The best mileage I've ever got out of my 2008 4 banger 4x4 access cab is a touch over 23 and that was all highway. I'm not saying you didn't achieve 28 mpg, but the op needs to know that 28 mpg is unusual for a truck rated at 17 city, 22 hwy. My truck in mixed driving gets a respectable 21 mpg.

Good call on the Jetta tdi for gas mileage. In my area diesel is now cheaper than gas. Added to the amazing gas mileage figures of the tdi, you can save a lot of dough driving one of those. That is if you can get one for the same price as a gasoline powered car.

My suggestion would be a car I own. A Honda Civic EX coupe. It handles good, has great steering and brakes, and averages 30 mpg in mixed driving. I was very surprised how much fun the car is to drive and other than a broken sun visor, it has been typical Honda reliable.
I have a tonneau cover, don't pull out from a dead stop like a jack rabbit outtahell, no lift, wheels always at appropriate psi, and use a Scan Gauge II to moniter real time mpg and trip avg. I've gotten 32 on long trips, but I also drive the speed limit usually, unless im in a hurry, the worst I've done to date is 22 and I was going approx 80 on the high for a good bit of the trip. I've put over 30k miles on it already. I guess its all how you drive? But back to original question, I'd buy something thats diesel in the form of a smallish car. Untill the Mini-D is allowed in the US, I'd stay around the VW TDI Golf or Jetta for a bit more room.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
The_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The_Dude's Tacoma Gallery
VW GTI TDI - Coming out soon I believe?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go back to a camry for a fuel saver vehicle. My 99 was a great car. I would've kept it but don't have the driveway space.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
VW GTI TDI - Coming out soon I believe?
Oh forgot about that, yes, thats supposed to be out this year. Basically, all VW TDI's get really nice mpg. Avoid passats...they have had too many issues for my liking. What I dont understand, is if VW has a diesel engine that meets the standards...why can't the Mini? VW is owned by BMW, who also own Mini (at least I'm pretty sure, I may be wrong though). Wouldn't you think they'd share technology?

Alot of people think diesel is more of a polutant than gas engines, because they see all the black smoke from large trucks, but what they dont realize, is with a diesel, you can sometimes get TWICE the mpg, which means you are using less fuel which means you have less emissions than a gas engine. Plus, gas engines pollute the air, where most of the diesel pollutants are in a solid form, which is a heck of a lot easier to 'clean-up' than trying to filter out the air.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #20
RMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMTacoguy30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Jay
RMTacoguy30's Tacoma Gallery
VW TDI... Or the new Civics are alright.