1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Funny dealership experiences.....

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by chris4x4, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Jun 21, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    What is the funniest thing that has happened to you at a dealership?

Me:
    One time when I was in my 2000 2.7 with a supercharger, I pulled into a Toyota dealership to get a filter, and the "Tech" pointed out that I had a "bad power steering pump". I said "no, I dont". He mentioned he could tell because it was makeing a wiring noise. I said "No, my pump is fine. I have a supercharger on my engine". At which point he started laughing saying that they dont make them for the 2.7 and that I was an idiot for thinking my PS pump was a supercharger. :rolleyes: At that point I was comming back out to my truck and he had his comrades with him, saying "show us your 'supercharger'". I poped my hood and they all went like this: :eek::eek::eek::eek: when they saw the Alpine unit bolted to the side of the motor. :)

2. Jun 21, 2008 at 9:47 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    HAHA!! Goes right back to your saying about dealer techs-IDIOTS!

3. Jun 21, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    At the time this happened, there were 2 other guys that did the Alpine supercharger on their 2.7 Tacomas. One guy (Nuke) decompressed his head and ran more boost, the other guy ran a lower boost (5 psi iirc), and I was running 6.5 psi, non decompressed. I got a call from Toyota one day and they told me that ( I cant remember his name ) from TRD wanted me to bring my truck back to the dealership so he and his "Techs" could look at it. When they saw what I did to the FMU they told me that they cant belive that it ran. I then explained to them that the mod that I did to the FMU allowed the ECU to fuel the engine in direct relation to how much boost was being produced, and to run in a normal condition when running "bypassed" or under vaccume. After I explained all that to them, and pointed to the parts that I re worked and why, they all were :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Thats when it dawned on me that these guys only knew stuff from a manual, and nothing more.

4. Jun 21, 2008 at 10:26 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    They stumble over their own feet every time we bring in Rosie's '87 Celica GTS for something. I had to arrange a permanent relationship between the "master mechanic" and her car because he's the only one in the entire dealership who has enough 'old school' wisdom to be confident with this car!

5. Jun 21, 2008 at 11:05 PM
    Siafu

Siafu Eat My Dirt

Member:
    Redlands!
    Vehicle:
    V6 Camry XLE
    Limo tint on Windows, Removed all emblems, Powdercoated Rims Black
    umm helllooo the real mechanics are in the colder part of the country. in minnesota all the techs and mechanics have nothing better to do all winter than tinker. out here thay have ummm a more southern mentality of modin truks like chrome, lower it to the ground, big rims, sound....

the techs at my dealership are constantly effin stuff up. i had to go out the other day and show a tech how to replace a windshield wiper blade...and these are the guys we are trusting to work on our prius's...i got out of my mind sometimes.

6. Jun 21, 2008 at 11:07 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    LMAO!!!! :D

7. Jun 22, 2008 at 12:45 AM
    bauermike

bauermike Western Alliance

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08' Prerunner, Radiant Red
    Billet Grill
    When I bought the Tacoma I own today, I told the dealer I didnt want the chime to go off in the truck when the seatbelt isnt secured. He was trying to be pleasent and said, "Mr. Bauer, we cant take that out." I acted as if I was disapointed. I think it made the haggling easier, he wasnt a strong salesman. I did this same "disapointed" customer thing with Cox Cable company when I told them I didnt want any spanish channels. They told me that I didnt have to pay for the channels, but I insisted that my television would not have any spanish channels. I ended up getting the first two months of cable for free for being so disapointed.:)

Little off topic sorry

8. Jun 22, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Good one though-nice ideas:D

9. Jun 22, 2008 at 8:32 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    probably the funniest thing was when i went to get my leaf spring tsb done....tsb in hand mind you......after they were done....they say ok, you are good to go!! i look for a second, walk back in, and say uh....wrong parts!!! they couldnt believe it!! its funny that i had to tell them which were the right parts to order........even the service manager had no idea!! clueless i reckon!

and when i told the tech who did the work that they were the wrong springs....he says "well......it rides stiffer now", to which i countered" yeah, the old springs have 30k miles on them......i think the new ones will ride a little stiffer....what ya think??".......needless to say, that dude didnt have anything else to say!!

10. Jun 22, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    see this is why i refuse to go to any dealership

assholes wouldnt even talk to me when i wanted to buy a truck...they just assumed that a 20something year old was just looking

so i got my truck from carmax and it hasnt been back on a dealers lot except the one time i needed touch up paint

11. Jun 22, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    Not really to funny. But each time I go to the dealer ship for something. They are always insitsting on giving me a good deal trading in my truck. And the special parts lady is always trying to sell my something. I dont need running bords they will just get in my way when i try to get out of my truck. She says I will hurt my back and knees if I have to keep jumping in and out of my truck. Maybe so. I dont need to spend 400 bucks on running bords that I still cant lift my leg onto lol.

12. Jun 22, 2008 at 9:11 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    There is an old saying: when you're green you're good-when you're ripe you're rotten. I would have liked to been there in your moment. :thumbsup:

13. Jun 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    X2!!! When I had my TSB springs done, the guy put the wrong U bolts on. I told them that it was fine and to just give me all the parts that came with the springs. I went over the part #'rs with the service manager, took them home, and installed everything mysel THE RIGHT WAY. :rolleyes:

14. Jun 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    not all techs are idiots and not all idiots are techs. i have seen some wild stuff from customers and i have even put my own foot in my mouth. my recomendation is to find the best tech in the dealership and establish some kind of relationship with him/her. sometimes humility and just being yourself goes a long way. i should know i work as a tech.:D

15. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:03 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I knew it was a matter of time before you showed up! :) I agree with your comment, but, its not feasable for me to try and find someone who SHOULD know these trucks like the back of their hand. Im always a nice guy to people (Techs included) and I belive that if Im paying for a service, it should be done beyond my expectations. Too many people only seem to give 70% in their field of expertise, when they should be giveing 100%. I digress, but its one of my pet peves. :)

16. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    itsmyturn

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    i agree with you 100%. too many techs SHOULD NOT be allowed to touch a vehicle let alone tools. i seen them come and go and hack up more stuff than you would believe. a lot of that comes from the service manager not making sure his techs are top quality and will do the job right the first time.

17. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:32 PM
    itsmyturn

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    its not just the automotive field either, my last cable installer was a moron. i told him to leave and i would install it myself.

18. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:47 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    I guess I will put a different spin on this subject since I am an idiot tech looking out from the inside. My top three customer complaints of all time first generation Prius customer car towed in customer yelling screaming does not want car it’s a lemon we pull codes lean and misfire codes ask customer what happen says dash lights came on mil came on coasted to the curb service manager talks with tech then customer Ma you do know you have to put gas in these cars right it was out of gas.
    Customer brings in early 2000 4runner states on cold mornings all the windows defrost except the right rear the defroster is not working sir that is not a defroster that is the a.m. radio antenna in the glass.
    Female customer brings in 2006 Camry xle states drivers seat was making grinding noise when moving now it won’t work at all says she does not have a lot time and would like it looked at right now. Service manager brings car in to shop to have team lead look at it service manager brings customer in to shop to look under seat with him hand customer a flash light she looks then has a blank stare and turns fire engine red service manager ask her if she would like us to remove it for her she says no she will what we found was the cord from her sex toy caught up in the electric seat track preventing it from moving. I guess you can say there are idiots on both sides of the steering wheel it is the luck of the draw. I happen to see myself as one of the better swimmers in the Toyota tech gene pool as what you guys have encountered.

19. Jun 22, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    I also have issues.If i wanted 50/50 work done I'd go to a shade tree mach.The letters out front say TOYOTA. At 85 an hr my level of expectations for quality go way up.Being charged 2.5hrs labor for a job done in 45mins.is not good service.It's extortion.End of rant. Carry on.:D

20. Jun 22, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    LOL, I have done that. The guy installing my cable for my satilite was being a real dick and was getting ready to drill through my wall RIGHT were I told him not to. My wife threw him out. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top