1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aged Tires: A Driving Hazard?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by humanoid, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jun 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM
    humanoid

humanoid [OP] bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
  2. Jun 24, 2008 at 7:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That was really interesting.... I can totally believe the 'science' behind it.
    Rubber does get 'dry' and the internals (belting, nylon, whatever) can be worn without your knowledge.

Same thing as a timing belt in our trucks. They recommend you change the timing belts at XXX miles because they can break without warning. Same deal with tires...

I just ran out and looked at mine... truck has 3406 (07 tacoma) and my husbands car (06 MDX) has 0606. :thumbsup:

I can understand how or why the US hasn't made any regulations - probably because there hasn't been enough proof that these older tires are at fault. I mean.... you could probably drive around town on a really old set of tires for years. But to take them on the highway where speed, pressure, & heat play a major roll in self destruction....

Thanks for the post!!

3. Jun 25, 2008 at 1:30 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    MUST READ.I'll be crawling around looking for this #. Thanks HUMINOID.:proposetoast: 3106 on all 5.

4. Jun 25, 2008 at 2:50 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
    Thanks for passing that along Humanoid . . . +1

5. Jun 25, 2008 at 9:06 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Good info. Thanks.

It applies to motorcycle tires too. There's a bike at work that has tires on it from 1995!

6. Jun 25, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Yeah old tires suck, I had bought some that were a "deal" a month later I was on the side of the road with 2 flats, never again.

7. Jun 25, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Not cool! The tires I bought 4 mo ago are from 2003. The wives CRV is good with tires from 06.

Good post, humanoid. +1

8. Jun 25, 2008 at 11:34 PM
    humanoid

humanoid [OP] bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the props guys.

I posted this on another forum and there were some not so nice comments about the piece. After viewing it again there were some inaccuracies such as "you can see shredded tires all over the highway". The bits of tires shown on the hwy in the piece are actually retreaded truck tires that the 18 wheelers use.

9. Jun 26, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I thought that too. There are inaccuracies sure, but the information about how to check the age of the tire is the most important to me.

Here's an NHTSA bulletin dated Jun 2, 2008.

10. Aug 3, 2008 at 10:10 PM
    humanoid

humanoid [OP] bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Bump for the noobs and not so noobs.

11. Dec 15, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    humanoid

humanoid [OP] bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Another bump for the newbs.

12. Dec 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    4.0L has a timing chain should never has to be changed.

13. Dec 15, 2008 at 10:21 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    That was the first thing I checked when I got my new tires last month. Goodyear had to order them from a warehouse. I was thinking they would be old. But they were made this past summer.

14. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    From my tire bible-- this is my gospel. Do what you wiish of this information-- :D

The mounting pressure (seating pressure) of 58 psi/4.0 bar overpressure must not be exceeded before both tire beads are evenly seated on the rim flange.

If new tires are to be mounted or the tires of one axle are to be replaced, tires of the same make, the same type and with the same specification code must always be used on each of the two axles.

If tires are replaced on one axle only, the different tread depth from that on the other axle can cause a noticeable change in the familiar handling. This is especially the case if new tires are mounted on the rear axle. This effect decreases with increasing tire mileage.
    When replacing a tire on an axle, make sure that the tread depth of the new tire does not differ from that of the other tire by more than 30 %.

If a tire is damaged and it cannot be determined with absolute certainty that there is no ply damage - with all of its consequences - or if the tire was thermally or mechanically overloaded due to a loss of pressure or other prior damage, we recommend replacement of the tire in question for safety reasons.

Repairs on “ZR” tires are not permissible, as is the use of inner tubes in tubeless tires. Tires age due to chemical and physical processes, which can impair their function. Tires that are stored unused for an extended period harden and become brittle faster than tires that are in continual use. Hairline aging cracks can occur on older tires. On tires in continual use, the kneading action activates the plasticizer in the rubber and thereby prevents hardening and cracking.

Therefore, attention should be paid not only to the tread depth but also to the age of the tire. Tires should not be older than 6 years. The age of the tire can be determined via the DOT code on the sidewall, which
    indicates the production date of the tire: e.g. DOT 2201= 22nd week of 2001.

Tires/complete wheels must be stored in a cool, dry and dark room with adequate ventilation. They must never come into contact with fuel, oil, grease or chemicals.

Complete wheels can be stacked for storage; it is advisable to increase the tire pressure by 0.4 bar.

If the tires are not mounted on wheels, it is best to store them in a vertical position. In this case the tires should be turned every two weeks in order to prevent excessive flattening. If the tires are stacked in horizontal position, they will become severely deformed and cannot be seated in the rim flange easily when they are fitted.

15. Dec 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    To all--
    I don't repeat DON'T mess around with tires in general.
    I inspect once per week or at every fill up by walking around my truck.
    ESPECIALLY when towing!! I can't stress this enough..

The only thing between you, and your loved ones and the road are the TIRES!!

Products Discussed in

To Top