Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Scraping disk brakes

Old 09-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Scraping disk brakes

So the wifes 2001 WG Rear drivers disk brake has a scraping sound like a rock stuck in the disk. It's only apparent at low speeds and doesn't seem to affect braking power.

Any clue what in the happy fuck that could be?

There's no squeaking from the brakes or pulling to any side.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Drain the tranny fluid, and dump it into the coolant...

Take it to a car wash, and spray it out really good. It could be a rock stuck in it. If it doesnt go away, It may be the noise maker telling you it needs new [ads.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Should I be using a pressure washer or just a good solid hose with a nozzle?
And anyways, I'm not doing an oil change. If anything I'd remove the spare tire and mount it where the radio antenna is.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Should I be using a pressure washer or just a good solid hose with a nozzle?
And anyways, I'm not doing an oil change. If anything I'd remove the spare tire and mount it where the radio antenna is.
Yeah, A pressure washer is fine, but keep the nozzel about (sorry) aboot 6" away...not sure what that is in CM's or whatever shit you use to measure....
Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Drain the tranny fluid, and dump it into the coolant...

Take it to a car wash, and spray it out really good. It could be a rock stuck in it. If it doesnt go away, It may be the noise maker telling you it needs new [ads.
hey,i did that........it made my waterpump start shifting
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
hey,i did that........it made my waterpump start shifting
GAH!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future2gtacoma has a brilliant future
Name: Daniel
2gtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
to me sounds like the wear indicator is letting you know its getting low. Why dont you take off the rear tire and inspect it.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I KNOW!

Take it to a professional and have them take a look at it.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What vehicle is this?

Drive in reverse and put the brakes on, should dislodge any rocks/debris.
2001 Grand Cherokee.

I'll get the wife to try the reverse thing tomorrow.

I thought wear pads were supposed to squeak? Not sound like an iron dick rubbing up against the rusted leg of a giant...
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #12
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2001 Grand Cherokee.

I thought wear pads were supposed to squeak? Not sound like an iron dick rubbing up against the rusted leg of a giant...
On older cars I've had some pads squeek and some make a grinding noise. Then I had one that I ignored the squeek for too long and it turned into grinding...oops!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
This just happened on my girlfriend's car, the pads were shot. No squeek, just grinding metal on metal. I'd check sooner rather than later otherwise you'll put some nice digs in the rotors and will end up buying them also.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #14
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2001 Grand Cherokee.

"Squealers", as they are called, do make the squeal sound. But if the pads are worn enough and the squealers are none existent, then it does sound like and iron dick rubbing up against the rusted leg of a giant.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
do they look like this?

Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Now that's impressive
Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2001 Grand Cherokee.

Oh dear god.... Grand Cherokee brakes SUCK major ass. We had a 99 and my mother-in-law currently has it. When we first bought that thing (used)- the first thing we replaced was the rotors & calipers on the front (TSB calipers). Not 3 years later, replaced the front rotors again. They warp soooo frigin easy. Then, after selling it to my mother-in-law.....had to change the rear rotors/calipers because they were all messed up (gouged/chewed up). It's been fine since, but she only drives it 3k miles a year. We're eventually gonna get rid of the damn thing!!!

Did you inspect the rear rotors? They might be all gouged up and/or too thin.
On ours....we didn't get any warning of the rears being gouged. The pads were fine and the last time we checked them (maybe 2 years), everything looked good. Seems sometime in that 2 years, those rear rotors went to shit (wearing thin). That's just my experiences...
Old 09-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #18
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
do they look like this?

Ive seen this in school buses before...and worse..
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #19
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Oh dear god.... Grand Cherokee brakes SUCK major ass. We had a 99 and my mother-in-law currently has it. When we first bought that thing (used)- the first thing we replaced was the rotors & calipers on the front (TSB calipers). Not 3 years later, replaced the front rotors again. They warp soooo frigin easy. Then, after selling it to my mother-in-law.....had to change the rear rotors/calipers because they were all messed up (gouged/chewed up). It's been fine since, but she only drives it 3k miles a year. We're eventually gonna get rid of the damn thing!!!

Did you inspect the rear rotors? They might be all gouged up and/or too thin.
On ours....we didn't get any warning of the rears being gouged. The pads were fine and the last time we checked them (maybe 2 years), everything looked good. Seems sometime in that 2 years, those rear rotors went to shit (wearing thin). That's just my experiences...
I'll have a look at that. I knew the pads were already warped because when braking it kinda pulsed (Not ABS style pulse, but fucked up rotor pulse).
The thing that is concerning me now is that I took it for a drive yesterday with the window down and it makes a lighter sounding scraping sound when driving at low speeds. Sound goes away at around 20mph and oddly enough when turning right. And comes up again if you hit a bump.

This is the weirdest vehicle I've ever seen...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll have a look at that. I knew the pads were already warped because when braking it kinda pulsed (Not ABS style pulse, but fucked up rotor pulse).
The thing that is concerning me now is that I took it for a drive yesterday with the window down and it makes a lighter sounding scraping sound when driving at low speeds. Sound goes away at around 20mph and oddly enough when turning right. And comes up again if you hit a bump.

This is the weirdest vehicle I've ever seen...
The sounds go away when you step on the brakes? So you know for sure it is the brakes?

Have you visited the jeepsunlimited forum? There will be a shit-ton of information regarding the GC and its wonderful personality.
The WJ section
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...splay.php?f=21