Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Suzuki Samurai?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Suzuki Samurai?

Hello TW
So we just got a lake house and are in need of a rig to get down to the dock and back, and just running around down there. The trail requires some fairly serious rock crawling. We looked at stuff like side by sides but for half the price we can get twice the truck. I found a 1989 Samurai on CL that is pretty well built... Lifted, rear locker on 33s, 4.92 gears in the T-case. I am going to go look at it sometime pretty soon. Anyone know anything about these? I found some common problems with google but just wanted to gain some background. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
I know that they had a problem rolling a lot back in the day. Thats all I know. Don't drive like a tard and you won't roll it.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
samurai's are like cockroaches.

they never die.

what i would do for a sammi
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
All I know is that they use a divorced transfercase and they can go anywhere when modded correctly.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
They're cool as shit when they're built & maintained properly.

Aside from being a samuri.... That CL find - make sure you see it in person, drive it in every possible situation (highway, city, 2WD, 4WD, 4Lo, etc) and give it a really good GO-over before you buy it.

Not any different than what I would do when buying a used vehicle.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
x2 if they are built up correctly, they can go anywhere. A friend of mine had one and he had that thing following the quad runners which were by no means easy trails.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Alright going to look at it now... I'll take lots of pics
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #9

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry tried to do it when i got home but the droid was taking forever to upload... so without further delay...

Ahhh it's dinner time. I'll be right back
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
samurai's are like cockroaches.

they never die.

what i would do for a sammi
lol so true. we all had them in high school.they are great for trails.really not much bigger than a quad.you cant beat that they are cheap,4x4, convertible, and great on gas. anything lifted will not be highway friendly. shit even stock they arent highway friendly. ive been looking lately too. this one has been for sale for 2 years or so.it just popped up again. so bad ass.it had a rotary motor in it last year

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1901441359.html
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

Name: derek
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
ask away..ive got an 87. i know a good amount about them.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #12

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Paintdiddy, that one kinda contradicts everything you just said about them haha... Still pretty cool though. Anyway this time is for real. I got some of them that didn't upload to work so here it is:

Sorry for the blurry one... but you get the idea. None of the other ones of the underside came out, but it was very clean. Dirty, but free of rust. The driveshaft angles looked kind of extreme, but nothing was really out of order. The owner really knew his stuff and did everything right. I drove it around in a field and tested 4-hi, 4-lo, everything worked. I didn't try to spin it to test the locker because it was basically his lawn in the middle of town. It sure was cool to drive. He's asking $3000 but said he'd take $2800 cash. I think I got the old man's approval, but my mom said its ugly haha. She yelled at me for not looking at the mileage, she doesn't understand how really irrelevant it is. Women...
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
damn at my lakehouse we just walk down some stairs to the dock
Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
pretty good deal for 3k! looks like an JX, well at least the seats are out of an JX lol
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #15

derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
check out www.zukikrawlers.com its a great site!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thats a nice sami.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #17
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
They're great. We have one in Baja for putting around on the beach and in the washes. Goes anywhere... if you get hung up, 2 dudes can lift it off a rock.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #18

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Just gotta get dad out to see it and hopefully make it ours. I'm sure he'll haggle the price down too he won't pay over $2500 for it.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #19

derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
good luck man
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Thats a nice find! My dad and I had 5 samurais on our property at one point and now we're down to 3. They are great little trucks just don't take them through deep water or mud.