1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sticking parking brake(Honda Civic)

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by cornwall325, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Sep 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 [OP] Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    I just bought a 97 Honda Civic from a girl and noticed today that the parking brake is sticking. With that being said this is my first Honda I've ever owned and was wondering what the best way to go at fixing it is? Hopefully someone here has owned a Honda Civic and has had similar problems and will pitch in for me.

thanks everyone

2. Sep 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    ChompsterTacoma

ChompsterTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chompster
    Fresno,Ca
    Vehicle:
    TRD offroad 4x4
    Bone Stock
    Check rear brakes and hand brake cable attached to it. Make sure it is not seized. Clean it out with brake cleaner. Check hand brake and make sure nothing is blocking it. Lastly get yourself a manual. You can find them used on Amazon or fork up 20 bucks at vatozone.

3. Sep 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    id say start with the obvious first pull of the center console and check that the cables are in good condition and not kinked and then id get under the car and follow them to the rear drums and make sure they are clear of debris then last pull off the rear drums and inspect that the cable is hooked up properly to the engagment e brake arm and that there is not alot of brake dust accumulation / clean .Its only at these point you have to worry about servicing the e brake components. not much else to look at. just my .2

4. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    I didn't have any problems until I checked the e-brake to make sure it was holding and that's when the problem started. The driver's rear tire is the one that is wanting to stick. I'm getting ready to head to Advance and get some brake cleaner so that I can use some to clean things up a bit once I check it out. Any other Honda owners out there got any helpful tidbits of info.?

5. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I use Honda-tech forums a lot for my Del Sol.
    Yesterday I just had my friend Nate tear apart my rear caliper for it was sticking. My parking brake has gotten frozen before too though I did not fix it since I have my friend Nate :)
    It seems like it happens a lot where I live since the car sees so much salt.
    My next project is the rusted out rear bumper support, my back end is sagging :eek: That forum though has lots of good info...judy

6. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Ok I got everything fixed where it's good to go for now. The emergency brake holds on the passenger side rear but not on the driver's rear. I'm going to tear into it one day when I have more time to spend but for now it will be good since I have brakes with the pedal. I just won't use the e-brake for now until I tear into it further. I'm thinking there may be an issue with the e-brake cable or just that I need to adjust the e-brake on the driver's side rear.

7. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    how are the rear drum pads id suggest staying away from adjusting the cables and adjust the shoes first and or inspect and replace they are cheap and easy to replace.

8. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    check the parking brake cables.

Products Discussed in

To Top