Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Long term outdoor tire storage solutions

Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Long term outdoor tire storage solutions

So, I'm purchasing some winter tires for my Tacoma, and due to lack of space, I can't store my stock tires indoors. I've had an idea for getting some Tire Bags/Tire Totes, but I'm specifically looking for ones that are fully enclosed, to keep out the elements.

So far the only ones I've seen are used more for just carrying the tires, or storing indoors where weather is not a factor.

By the way, it gets down to -40 degrees C around here some days, so I'm not really thrilled about doing this, and would much prefer indoor storage, but thus is the nature of the beast.

Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
The Wombat is on a distinguished road
The Wombat's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe just a plywood box? Cheap and easy - little more durable than a bag too. If you leave it up against the house, it may even absorb some ambient heat.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wombat View Post
Maybe just a plywood box? Cheap and easy - little more durable than a bag too. If you leave it up against the house, it may even absorb some ambient heat.
Plywood box built off the ground (maybe 2x4 on end of 4x4 skids), silicone the edges and cover with a tarp? When it snows, leave it on the box, it's an insulator and will at least keep the temp inside the box somewhat consistant.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
-40 c!!!!!!! ouch
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
We've stored our summer rims/tires on pallets (free) in the plastic swap over bags at the tire shop (free) up here in Vermont with no problems.

Wrap the pallet with a couple of tarps/bungees & some moth balls to keep mice out.

If you want secure, then a plywood box with a lock. I would still use moth balls if kept outdoors.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I use for my studed tires:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091379
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help so far guys. I did find a business in town that stores tires in a temp controlled warehouse for $9.99/month. So I will probably go that route. I'm mostly concerned about the extreme cold degrading the rubber, as opposed to someone stealing them. If it comes to it, I'll just stack them on a pallet off the cement.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Extreme cold won't degrade the rubber. Just keep the tire dry (to retard mould or mildew) and protected from UV. Black garbage bag will work.