Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

cheapest gas price you can remember

Old 08-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #21
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
I remember about .65 a gallon but seem to recall a few places that was about .55 but that was a long time ago!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
When I started driving in 1970, it was 32.9 cents. I was quite upset when I couldn't get 3 gallons for a dollar anymore. But I don't want to mislead you on my age--I started driving when I was 6 years old!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
Ha...ha....not a granpa yet, but getting up in age. Had children late in life so if do become a grandpa...well lets put it this way, I will be in my mid/late 60's when my girls get out of college.

A gob is a round chocolate cake about the size of a softball, cut in half with frosting in the center. If I can remember correctly they had some guy/kid on the wrapper. And the coke was real coke, (no not the drug kind) it just tasted different from a glass bottle.
ah yes, glass coke bottles. out of a slide top cooler or vending machine that you pulled them out yourself.

old coke was better than the new 'old' coke anyway.
real sugar- not corn syrup- was the difference.

man, this makes me think of road trips as a kid.

beef jerky, moon pies, RC cola or Nehi soda- glass coke bottles, zero bars and sleeping in the back of the station wagon
Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #24
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
mmmm...zero bars.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
mmmm...zero bars.
Most people today only think of cell phones when you refer to zero bars!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I think they still make Zero bars. It has probably been about 12 years since I've had one.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #27
dizrick is on a distinguished road

dizrick's Tacoma Gallery
Loved frozen zero bars. My first job was pumping gas in 1971 and we had a price war with the gas stations on the other two corners of the intersection. We were selling it for .27 a gallon. I remember my buddies pulling in and getting two gallons for .54.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #28
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombot View Post
ah yes, glass coke bottles. out of a slide top cooler or vending machine that you pulled them out yourself.

old coke was better than the new 'old' coke anyway.
real sugar- not corn syrup- was the difference.

man, this makes me think of road trips as a kid.

beef jerky, moon pies, RC cola or Nehi soda- glass coke bottles, zero bars and sleeping in the back of the station wagon
Bobby, is that you??

Glass bottles, man I remember those days! Family trips to Nags Head, seemed to take forever! I remember when there were very few houses between the Winks grocery store and Kitty Hawk. And the beach was endless!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #29
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
yeah they still make zero bars- i tried one again to 'take me back'...
but they are so sickeningly sweet now..maybe they changed the recipe or maybe my mouth is too old to care for them anymore.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #30
Robbie will become famous soon enoughRobbie will become famous soon enough

Robbie's Tacoma Gallery
I can't remember price per gallon...I remember five bucks would fill my '72 Toyota Corona and getting an NFL drinking glass too! I think I still have it someplace. (The glass not the Corona.) LOL!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #31
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
I am telling my age, but in 1972 when I was 18, the normal price was 19.9˘ a gallon. If a GAS WAR was in progress, it could drop to 16 or 17.9˘ a gallon. Plus they pumped it for you, and cleaned your windshield and checked the oil if you wanted.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #32
Beware the Puma...
swatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really niceswatjoe592 is just really nice

swatjoe592's Tacoma Gallery
My first legitamite vehicle was a silver GMC Sierra single cab long-bed. That beast cost me a twenty spot every week to fill-up on 87 cent gas. I remember wanting to sell it because that tank was killing my paycheck.

I waited in line to put $73 in my Tacoma last night before the 'hurricane'.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #33
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91r100gs View Post
I am telling my age, but in 1972 when I was 18, the normal price was 19.9˘ a gallon. If a GAS WAR was in progress, it could drop to 16 or 17.9˘ a gallon. Plus they pumped it for you, and cleaned your windshield and checked the oil if you wanted.
I'm editing my response because I just read yours.

19.9, gas wars, some of the time and they checked your oil and cleaned the window at the full service pumps. I started driving in 1974 and it may have been slightly higher by then. This was in mid Missouri.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #34
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
When I was a young man and never been kissed, I got to thinking it over and gas was $ .29 a gallon normally and went as low as $ .19 during the occassional local gas wars.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #35
rfields is on a distinguished road
rfields's Tacoma Gallery
Cool fuel pricing

well i am late fifty and can remember buying amaco @ the corner station for 7 to 13 cents a gallon and the pure station had it fo 9 to 16 cents dureing gas wars between ststions.but these days it is against the law to sell gas cheaper than what you pay for it . we had a radio ststion sell for .99 a gallon and the powers to be made them stop even if it was a promotion .
Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #36
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Gas wars....yeah. And they washed your windshield, checked the oil and gave you free stuff like glasses....and don't forget the Green Stamps. My mom always wanted to go to certain filling stations (that's what they were called then) so she could get the stamps.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #37
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Less then 25 cents. A quarter would overflow a 1 gal can.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #38
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Gas wars....yeah. And they washed your windshield, checked the oil and gave you free stuff like glasses....and don't forget the Green Stamps. My mom always wanted to go to certain filling stations (that's what they were called then) so she could get the stamps.
Ya, ya, bringing back the memories, plus checked the air in the tires. Remember my dad told one guy to back away from his car. Believe that was outside Ft. Knox. He just washed and I believe waxed it.
MAN times have changed.
Oh ya, they wore whire shirts and pants or blue body suits I guess that's what you would call them.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #39
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Im only 20 so i dont go back to far, But I rember my mom paying 99 when I was like 5 or 6
Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #40
Synapse is on a distinguished road

Synapse's Tacoma Gallery
Yep filling my old 91 Eclipse up at .92 back in 1995. We could fill up that car for $12 and ride around all week.

back then I worked in after highschool for $5 a hour (chick-fila) which was pretty good pay at that time fastfood wise.

Work two hours to fill my tank up.........I wish I could say that now!!