1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever get hassled for driving a non-domestic truck?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by nmtim, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I was at a wedding in Ford country, (I live close to a plant that used to maked transmissions for Fords) I came outside to find a a note of my truck. "Jap man: Fords rule the world, buy a FORD"

I wouldn't own a Ford if my life depended on it.

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Moving all the time
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD-OR
    Tinted windows, Plasti-dipped emblems (black), white 2011 grill w plasti derped white toyota emblem, Weathertech dontfits; Clarion HU, Hertz-165 Coax, Alpine 500w mono to 8" JL 3w3, Wet Okeles, CBI sliders, Eibach/5100's @0.85 in front, Dakar leaves and OME shocks in rear, Leer topper.
    I just got mine, but I fully expect to.

I haven't even lived here a year, but I used to live where tacos are very common which makes me notice the severe lack of tacomas. Definitely since I started shopping for my truck and looking into the purchase seriously, not as many here mainly full sized dodges and fords. This is the land of monte carlo's and F150's.

When doing the truck research I even asked a few people in town about differentials, as soon as I said "locker" the tone of the conversation changed... "what you gettin a mazda or toyota or somethin?" in a superior attitude kinda tone.

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    i dont get it? :confused: i was in a ford f150 fx4 the other day and it has a rear locker. oh and just throwing it out there those new 2011 f150s are freakin nice

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    I used to. My reply was that my truck was built in California. Not much anyone can say to that.

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    we went mud riding with some friends one night, it was my yota, 2 f250's and a few z71's and im the only one who didnt get stuck, and i stayed in 2wd most of the time ha ha

6. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:15 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I get hassled every once in a while but nothing serious. I could care less what people think of me for driving a foreign vehicle. I think my profession speaks for itself, I risk my American to save your American life, so who cares what I drive!!

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    2 friends of mine drive chevy, and 2 others drive dodges (all full size pickups) and gave me a little shit until I took em for a ride. Never heard a thing since. She's speaks for herself

8. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Moving all the time
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD-OR
    Tinted windows, Plasti-dipped emblems (black), white 2011 grill w plasti derped white toyota emblem, Weathertech dontfits; Clarion HU, Hertz-165 Coax, Alpine 500w mono to 8" JL 3w3, Wet Okeles, CBI sliders, Eibach/5100's @0.85 in front, Dakar leaves and OME shocks in rear, Leer topper.
    I'm not sure what the deal was, but two separate conversations local guys guessed I was lookin at Toyotas when I mentioned the locker. I was just assuming the locker was only on the new F150s and whatever chevys, and toyotas didn't bother looking into it.

But these guys like their trucks, and I'm expecting to get a little undeserved flack for havin a "jap" truck.... I was warned before I moved here, if you wonder what its like there, think 1950's anywhere else.

9. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    soupbill

soupbill Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma/2017 Tacoma ORDCSB Super white/2019 ORDCSB Black
    nothing just gas & go
    Yes I have & it was FUNNY. I live in a town with a GM plant. I was @ the local bakery one morning & left my Tacoma running (it was COLD). this guy walks in GM badge on belt & says ,Is that your Truck & I said sure is. He says must be nice leaving your truck running like that. I said it was a Toyota & it gets great mileage. He then told me that that was what was wrong with this country & I should be ashamed of myself for not buying American.I told him I would never buy Gm.They would not hire me back in the day (they told me to join the Army that I was going to get drafted anyway) (just told my age) back to story I took that as the end of the story,walked out side & saw he was driving a Buick,Lacrosse . I had just read an article that the Lacrosse was made in Canada.My Tacoma was made in California. So I marched back in & told him, he said no way. So I proposed a wager, the persons vehicle that was not the most American would buy coffee every time we ran in to each other in the bakery. he agreed. He bought 3 times have not seen him since.

10. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Occasionally.

But then their shit breaks, and mine is still running.

11. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Welcome to TW Soupbill

12. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    who is the guy on here that got shit for running an American flag on his tacoma? ha seriously some ppl must have nothing better to do than to judge others by what they drive.

Shit, if any one ever gives me shit I'll just say "did you give up four and a half years of your life for this country?, yep I must be very unpatriotic"

13. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    hahaha do it, you have every right then :)

14. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

HAHA fuck yea :rofl:

15. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:

hmm now I can't wait till the day comes... :D

16. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    daftcon

daftcon too many clowns, not enough circuses.

Member:
    First Name:
    François Dillinger
    places
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner
    just about black everything. i don't dig the chrome.
    i live in arkansas and there are your typical "redneck" whatever guys around here, and some not. i saw one guys chevy truck that had big magnets that read "BUYING FOREIGN IS TREASON" and a separate one that read "BUY AMERICAN WHILE THERE STILL IS ONE". i could do nothing but look at him and laugh. he glared back at me with much disdain.

17. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    yeah i remember that. ill try and dig up the thread in a second.
    it was right around the time people were getting in trouble for wearing american flag shirts to school

18. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
  19. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!

I've never really come across that situation living in canada, Maybe its just a different mentallity. I'm more likely to get shit for not buying a certain brand, like ford vs. chevy for instance, then someone would give me shit for not buying north american.

20. Nov 29, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I usually hassle them for not driving a Jap truck... though mine is messican.

Products Discussed in

To Top