Notices

Truck Cap

Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
thenomad will become famous soon enoughthenomad will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: Way
thenomad's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Cap

Does anyone know if Leer or any other brand can hold a decent amount of weight? I was thinking of putting a maggiolina on the top and was wondering if it would withstand the weight?

Has anyone done this? Pics? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I had to look up what a maggiolina was. I'd be worried about that much weight on the top of my leer cap. The thing weighs a ton but I don't know how that it would support 500lbs + worth of people and tent on it. I really don't have any stats to support that though.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
These are probably pretty pricey but they are very strong.

click here
Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Different caps are rated to carry a load on the roof. It's not universal for all Leer caps, it will depend on the model. I wouldn't trust my ARE with that much weight on the roof. I'd talk to a dealer and see if they can recommend a brand or model that fits your needs.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough2007tacoOldLineSt will become famous soon enough
2007tacoOldLineSt's Tacoma Gallery
I have been in the market for a cap for awhile. A few of the manufacturers have specs on their site. Most list the load rating at 200-250lbs, but the "contractor" grade fiberglass can be as much as 500. BUT...BUT, BUT, BUT, thats a ton of weight!

I am considering a rack from Surefit that will go around the cap.

Just load 500 lbs of sand bags or concrete in your bed, 50-80lbs at a time, FEEL that weight, than imagine it on top of a fiberglass cap. I know "engineers" supposedly design them and they "know" what the load rating is, but when you read the fine print on the warranty, it may change your mind.

And before anyone writes back about distribution of weight through the mounting points, and gives me a "tutorial" on how load forces are distributed, I get it...this is just my opinion.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007tacoOldLineSt View Post
I have been in the market for a cap for awhile. A few of the manufacturers have specs on their site. Most list the load rating at 200-250lbs, but the "contractor" grade fiberglass can be as much as 500. BUT...BUT, BUT, BUT, thats a ton of weight!

I am considering a rack from Surefit that will go around the cap.

Just load 500 lbs of sand bags or concrete in your bed, 50-80lbs at a time, FEEL that weight, than imagine it on top of a fiberglass cap. I know "engineers" supposedly design them and they "know" what the load rating is, but when you read the fine print on the warranty, it may change your mind.

And before anyone writes back about distribution of weight through the mounting points, and gives me a "tutorial" on how load forces are distributed, I get it...this is just my opinion.
The maggiolina is a roof top tent. Compressed it's not that much weight, but obviously when you're sleeping up there it's very heavy. You wouldn't be traveling with over 500+ lbs on the roof of your cap. It's not as bad as it sounds. Plus you'd have your camping gear in the bed, nice and low.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
thenomad will become famous soon enoughthenomad will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: Way
thenomad's Tacoma Gallery

anyone know what kind that is? So sweet