1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding Spoilers

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by gorilla33, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dec 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    gorilla33

gorilla33 [OP] Stock Radiant Red

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    05 trd sport
    Hey guys, this question doesn't involve my Tacoma. It is about my wife's Maxima. We purchased it used about 6 months ago. It has always had a light in the dash that illuminates when the brake pedal is depressed. The light indicates that a bulb is out. However, they all work. I have recently discovered that the spoiler that is on the car was not a factory installed option. It is a nissan product but was added after purchase. I know this because my trunk lid does not have the beefed up torsion bars to support the extra weight of the spoiler. The Maximas that come with spoilers have these. Also, there is a plastic "plug" that fits into the hole where the high mount 3rd brake light used to be in the window, which was removed during the installation of the spoiler.
    I have found through research that sometimes wiring the spoiler incorrectly, or not properly removing/disabling the old window high mount light can cause this "stop light out" indicator light in my dash. Does anyone have any experience wiring spoilers or have any idea about this?

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    No specific experience w/ what youre issue is, but what about a resistor in the old location? Should at least get rid of the idiot light on the dash. Does the brake light on the spoiler work ok?

3. Dec 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Try changing all the break light bulbs. Best to replace bulbs in pairs as the new ones can draw a little more.

4. Dec 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    gorilla33

gorilla33 [OP] Stock Radiant Red

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    05 trd sport
    This is the approach i took over the weekend, and it worked. Idiot light is gone, and all lights are working. The spoiler was obviously wired in wrong at installation, and I think the previous owner tried to fix the problem. The plug for the bulb was the wrong size, but the voltage in the wire was correct. Who knows what happened previously. I discovered that if i completed the circuit with a piece of copper wire that the idiot light went out, but that also made my other lights quit working. So I went to Radio Shack, bought a $2.50 resistor that has the same characteristics as the bulb, and boom, fixed. Basically tricking the computer to think a light bulb is there.

Products Discussed in

To Top