Notices

Modded possible money pit 05 GTO or stock 05/06 GTO

View Poll Results: What would you get
Modded Possible money-pit GTO 2 8.33%
Stock GTO 22 91.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Modded possible money pit 05 GTO or stock 05/06 GTO

So my buddy totaled his 06 GTO a week ago with only a year left of payments. He spent money on it making it fast but he only got $11.5 in pocket after paying off the loan. He is currently looking at an 05 GTO with an APS twin turbo kit, built transmission and 408ci LS2. The car makes 672hp and 685ftlbs of torque to the ground. This car was going for $25k with everything but the owner said he was driving on Monday when the coolant temp hot light came on and he pulled over before the car really overheated. It needs a head gasket on one bank now. Not sure if the head suffered any damage but the owner says not likely since he pulled over quickly and the head has studs instead of the stock tty head bolts. Also one of the turbos needed a rebuild so the guy bought a new turbo and replaced it. My buddy really wants this car because of the turbo kit. The owner only wants $21K as is. So off the bat he would have to spend about $1500 to have the head gasket replaced on top of the 21 for the car. I say no on this car. He can't even use it to its full potential because the car would need a cage to run on the track and the diff is stock so it would grenade itself with slicks on.

The other option would to buy a stock 05/06 GTO for about 16K and start modding again. The benefit with this option is that he can use 11.5 as down and get the remainder financed. He would only have about a year of payments then he would be free to mod it as he wants.

My friend is an alignment tech at a Just Tires so he isn't pulling in much and it doesn't help that he just got married and they are on their own. Whatever car he gets would be his DD car and he is set on buying another GTO. Personally I'd go for the stock one and start again. What would you do?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Option one should be: Modded possible money pit GTO
Old 12-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
That tricked out car is going to be nothing but trouble IMHO.

I bought a truck like that-Pushing 500Hp to the ground by the time I was done fixing all the stuff the first owner messed up. Too bad it took me an engine replacement to get there. I don't buy stuff that other people build up.

I think you are talking sense- but in the end it's his life.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Brunes.
You never know what all the previous owner did and if it's going to be his DD, I would definatly say go for the stock one.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
It's never fun driving another person's project. Like brunes said, you end up fixing all the crap they never addressed. Plus mods rarely add significant value to a car...let alone nearly 10 grand. Now that it's not working he's only knocking off a few grand? No way. It was worth maybe 20 when it was running right...now it's maybe worth 16 since you don't know for sure the extent of the damage.

All things considered though...doesn't sound like he needs a faster GTO...already has enough trouble handling a stock one (and it's a pretty easy car to handle already).
Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph View Post
All things considered though...doesn't sound like he needs a faster GTO...already has enough trouble handling a stock one (and it's a pretty easy car to handle already).
Well he rear ended a car on the street. Everyone slammed on their brakes and he just stopped short. The isn't that bad but total damage was about $10K because the parts are hard to come by.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That gto you described will be such a money pit. It will need tons of upgrades if it's putting down that much power, and as you said it will also need a new head gasket as well as a cage.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Well he rear ended a car on the street. Everyone slammed on their brakes and he just stopped short. The isn't that bad but total damage was about $10K because the parts are hard to come by.

No offense, Thats not a GTO.

This is a GTO vvvvvv

Pontiac should be ashamed of themselves putting "GTO" on that car. Spend your money elsewhere. My .02
Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
I see...well scratch that point...I still would prefer building one myself even if it costs a few grand more. You'll save at least that much knowing your car better and being able to better deal with it as a result.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
That gto you described will be such a money pit. It will need tons of upgrades if it's putting down that much power

Not necessarily true. My little 5.3L puts down 625 rear wheel hp and 762ftlbs to the rear tires and is/has been headache free for the last 40k miles. It's not like I can drive it around WOT all the time, right?

That said I'd stay with a stocker as that one does sound like it's been beaten on.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Quakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud ofQuakee has much to be proud of

EMS: EMT
Name: Eddie
Quakee's Tacoma Gallery
1: Buy stock mustang
2: Built mustang
3: ???????
4: Profit.

my .02
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
Banned
Again he is set on a 05 or 06 GTO not a shitty mustang or a classic GTO. Also a GTO is a GTO no matter what year.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Again he is set on a 05 or 06 GTO not a shitty mustang or a classic GTO. Also a GTO is a GTO no matter what year.
copy that

i got nothing for ya then.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
GTO is a badass car. Easy to mod with the best aftermarket. Mustang? Slow slow slow.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile View Post
copy that

i got nothing for ya then.
Lol. No worries. I would have a classic car but you have to be rich, really really lucky or have a family member that bought it new and held onto it.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
03-04 cobra. "Drool"
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
I meant
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
03-04 cobra. "Drool"
Nice but $$$.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
Banned
Well my buddy smarted up. He was thinking about a G8 gt but decided on another GTO. It is a 06 with 30K miles. I think he got it for 17,000. It is all stock except for a navi head unit. Basically it is the same car as the old one except this new one has the optional 18 inch wheels.

Here is a pic of the old one: