Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

New CA smog law for 2013

Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #21
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Well if I ever get a Honda again I'll be sure to steer clear of DC headers.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #23
dwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura aboutdwntwnall4u has a spectacular aura about
Name: Kevin
dwntwnall4u's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it will be worse going thru OBD2 port. They can see everything going on in your engine.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #24
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Guess the moral to the story is: another not-to-useful "smog law" that'll add more to the states couffers than anything else probably, from the OP's assessment this new law sounds like a "win" for the consumer ( Outwardly it sounds like it to me too) but we'll just have to see what the results are aftewr the 1st I guess, & only other thing to add is MOD to your hearts desire but I wouldn't shit can ANY OEM emissions equipment...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #25
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
gotta disagree with you there, when i had my 96 acura integra b18b1, i still passed but my numbers were higher with the carb legal dc sports 4-2-1 ceramic header i had. Eventually took them off cause dc parts are complete garbage and the fuckin thing cracked, furthermore i had gotten a state ref ticket for a non carb compliant intake and put the stock airbox and header back on so i would pass, i passed with flying colors and the apexi n1 catback exhaust i had was determined to be legal .... after all of this bullshit with being pulled over all the time by CHP, i have vowed not to own another modified honda as long as im still living in calfiornia (hopefully not much longer)
Probably had nothing to do with the header. Exactly how much higher were the numbers? Probably a negligible amount. You can go in on 2 separate occasions with the exact same equipment and get very different numbers depending on many things like ambient temp and if you actually got your cat to proper temperature before you tested it. Also how long you idled in line while waiting for the test letting your cat cool down. etc.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #26
08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TAYLOR
08chocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
im thinking of a muffler delete for my truck, i know about the loss of power i could deal with, but do you guys think that it will effect the smog test that much? im not too worried haha i jsut want to know
Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #27
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Probably had nothing to do with the header. Exactly how much higher were the numbers? Probably a negligible amount. You can go in on 2 separate occasions with the exact same equipment and get very different numbers depending on many things like ambient temp and if you actually got your cat to proper temperature before you tested it. Also how long you idled in line while waiting for the test letting your cat cool down. etc.
i dont remember which numbers were higher but it wasnt too far from failing, i ran my plate (which i remember) thru the dmv smog history site and got this

STATE OF CA SMOG CHECK REFEREE CTR /
OROVILLEACURAINTEGRA199602/13/2008 08:29 a.m.PMU925538C REDWOOD AUTO SMOG TEST /
NAPAACURAINTEGRA199609/13/2006 11:57 a.m.PVB188910C

unfortunatley numbers arent shown, as for temp it was prob high 30s low 40s when the top one was done for state ref. generally its 70 - 80ss in september in napa

the car was warmed up for about 10 miles before getting the napa smog done and it was driven right in, for oroville ref it was driven 20+ miles down the freeway then sat for 30 - 45 mins before being smogged.

The car has never been smogged since due to the new owner living in a non biannuel smog area of california.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #28
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
as for temp it was prob high 30s low 40s ...... then sat for 30 - 45 mins before being smogged.
there are a lot of variables that can affect the outcome, but those 2 things alone can very easily have a huge impact on the test.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
yumyumtaco will become famous soon enough

yumyumtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i dont understand how changing the header... forces you to not pass smog? if you still have your orig Cat, and minor modified exaust cat-bck. there should b no reason why u shouldnt pass right? other than visual... but if the smog dude is cool?....
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #31
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtaco View Post
i dont understand how changing the header... forces you to not pass smog? if you still have your orig Cat, and minor modified exaust cat-bck. there should b no reason why u shouldnt pass right? other than visual... but if the smog dude is cool?....
Because the CA law is that everything that is related to 'pollution control' remains the same. I am still waiting to hear back from a ref for moving my tank on an 1980 pickup truck. CA sucks. I would love to live in a place where they just test your emissions. I could put on a Propane conversion get better gas mileage and pollute less - but not in CA.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #32
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Because the CA law is that everything that is related to 'pollution control' remains the same. I am still waiting to hear back from a ref for moving my tank on an 1980 pickup truck. CA sucks. I would love to live in a place where they just test your emissions. I could put on a Propane conversion get better gas mileage and pollute less - but not in CA.
Just another reason to bail this POS state Paul, after 55 years (native ca.) & remembering how it used to be here & what it has become (& getting worse) I'm sooo done with all the leftist AND conservatives & there mindset of needing an agency of oversight for every Goddamned aspect of our lives just makes me mad as hell !!! Seems all we're here for is to feed & support a machine of fat fucking useless oxygen thieving political fucktards, their cronies & a population of deadbeat lazy fucks that piss & moan with their hands out wanting more of something for nothing, like they're "owed"... Fuck'em all... DMV is at the top of this shit pile too.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Just another reason to bail this POS state Paul, after 55 years (native ca.) & remembering how it used to be here & what it has become (& getting worse) I'm sooo done with all the leftist AND conservatives & there mindset of needing an agency of oversight for every Goddamned aspect of our lives just makes me mad as hell !!! Seems all we're here for is to feed & support a machine of fat fucking useless oxygen thieving political fucktards, their cronies & a population of deadbeat lazy fucks that piss & moan with their hands out wanting more of something for nothing, like they're "owed"... Fuck'em all... DMV is at the top of this shit pile too.
someone is a little upset... lol me too... :ce nsored: I love how i can find a smiley for every mood... this pretty much sums it up...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyumtaco View Post
someone is a little upset... lol me too... :ce nsored: I love how i can find a smiley for every mood... this pretty much sums it up...

Well, yeah I am & anyone who lives in Ca. that works & pays taxes should be too, theres money & services for everyone except for the poor bastards footing the bill... just reading about how some of the agencies & so called "public servants" cry about having to take a deferrment day here & there because money is tight (keep in mind that state workers have had it too Goddamned good for too Goddamned long) I mean they make better than decent money than those in the private sector, have carteblanc status as for termination, ya gotta really fuck up to get fired, they get automatic cost of living raises & with little to NO out of pocket expense on their part for medical for them & their famiilies the average lazy fuck you see along the road holding a stop/slow sign or leaning on a shovel is right around $50k-$60k a year with benefits... These people wouldn't last a week in the private sector where you have to actually PRODUCE something. Here in San Diego, the SDFD & SDPD often retire making MORE than they did pre retirement, & that crap about them being there for public safety so they should get more falls on deaf ears, they knew damned well what they were getting into for a career, & yes you could say.. "Well stop bitching & work for the state/county/city/etc;"

It's not so easy, when I was a youngman I applied for ALL those & took all the test that pertained to positions desired & actually did well in all of hem.. never heard back from any of them, & i always checked back, ironically the positions would all be filled... with family members, THEIR family members, this is fact , Neptitisim is rampant (it aint even who you Blo, its who you know or related too, I know guys that work for the state & straight up told me that to apply/test with these agencies is a waste of my time because the slots are already filled before hand...

& last thing I'll say is when the civil service workers for whatever agency or position held lives better/has more opportunities/ & retires better than the people that have supported & basically given them their pay checks thru taxes... there is something seriously wrong

done ranting...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #35

and one more final amen:
Old 09-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #36
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

97T's Tacoma Gallery
until due to a medical issue and they had to lay me off, i did emissions tests here in colorado. Higher limits, we dont give a fuck if the check engine lights on (gets noted on the test, but not an auto fail like california is), and no C.A.R.B. nonsense. If your rigs got everything thats supposed to be in the exhaust (cat, air system, o2 sensor ... varies by car on whats needed and if theres no sticker under the hood we got a book for that, and passes out the pipe, youre good!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #37
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I say screw emissions a cat is enough to clean the exhaust of a car and honestly I don't get how diesels need all that crap they do now. To me If I can't see the emissions or smell them then they are clean enough
Old 09-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #38
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I say screw emissions a cat is enough to clean the exhaust of a car and honestly I don't get how diesels need all that crap they do now. To me If I can't see the emissions or smell them then they are clean enough
Like Sarin
Old 09-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #39
Resident T100 guy

97T's Tacoma Gallery
given colorado dont got the population of california, but you guys know how everything 75 older is exempt there? Oldest rig i had to smog was a 1957 chevy pickup!!! WTF how often do the people drive that

Furthermore there was a state study here that they should either get rid of it or exempt cars less than 10 model years old. Friend of mine asked me about it and i was like they should, takes me longer to hook up the equipment than to smog the damn car!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #40
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
until due to a medical issue and they had to lay me off, i did emissions tests here in colorado. Higher limits, we dont give a fuck if the check engine lights on (gets noted on the test, but not an auto fail like california is), and no C.A.R.B. nonsense. If your rigs got everything thats supposed to be in the exhaust (cat, air system, o2 sensor ... varies by car on whats needed and if theres no sticker under the hood we got a book for that, and passes out the pipe, youre good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post

Yeah but Ca. & New York are probably the worst sticklers for the visual, i've never seen ANYone get past the visual if it fails, they dont see the equip you're done, make corrections go back, i think thats why they check it first, if they hook any equip on you prior they have to charge you