Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

New CA smog law for 2013

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
New CA smog law for 2013

So I just read that 2000 and newer vehicles in California will not need to pass a sniffer test starting in 2013. They will only have a diagnostic check through the OBD 2 port. If it doesn't pass then you go in for a sniffer test. Sweet. We can mod all we want and it will be fine as long as the CEL stays off.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet
Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So I just read that 2000 and newer vehicles in California will not need to pass a sniffer test starting in 2013. They will only have a diagnostic check through the OBD 2 port. If it doesn't pass then you go in for a sniffer test. Sweet. We can mod all we want and it will be fine as long as the CEL stays off.
The sniffer test was never the problem for newer modded vehicles. Most would pass no problem. It was the ridiculous "visual" inspection. Basically if they couldn't find a CARB sticker on your shit it would fail regardless of what the sniffer test says. Its pretty fuckin stupid. if you are below the level it shouldn't matter what you did to it, fancy sticker or not.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreRunnerSeth View Post
The sniffer test was never the problem for newer modded vehicles. Most would pass no problem. It was the ridiculous "visual" inspection. Basically if they couldn't find a CARB sticker on your shit it would fail regardless of what the sniffer test says. Its pretty fuckin stupid. if you are below the level it shouldn't matter what you did to it, fancy sticker or not.
Agreed. CARB certification is just another way for the state to ge money. The article didn't say anything about future visual inspections.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. Link to source?
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Cool. Link to source?
It was in the newest edition of Westways. I'll search for a link.

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2010/...-check-program
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
I am pretty sure the visual will still be enforced and like already mentioned it's not the sniffer that is a big deal, it's the visual.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
I am pretty sure the visual will still be enforced and like already mentioned it's not the sniffer that is a big deal, it's the visual.
Yup:

"The visual inspection will remain a component of California smog checks."

All well. Pay the fucker off.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully it will be cheaper now as more places will be able to perform the smog check because expensive machinery is not required. I like it.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
doesnt affect me, newest vehicle ive ever owned was a 99 and i now have a 97

luckily i dont smog unless i sell a vehicle, my stuff is all registered in Lake County which doesnt require biannuel smogs
Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
CARB is a perfect example of what is wrong with modern government. Even if they started out with good intentions (reducing polluting emissions) they have abused their power to try to force people to keep their vehicles exactly as they came from the factory. Those bullshit visual inspections have nothing to do with improving air quality. If your car passes the sniffer, that's all that should matter.

The CEL test makes sense because if an OBDII car is emitting enough to fail the sniffer test, it's almost guaranteed it has a CEL.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
They will probably pop you if you don't have the factory map! God I love this state....

NOT
Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Trever1t is on a distinguished road
Trever1t's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
CARB is a perfect example of what is wrong with modern government. Even if they started out with good intentions (reducing polluting emissions) they have abused their power to try to force people to keep their vehicles exactly as they came from the factory. Those bullshit visual inspections have nothing to do with improving air quality. If your car passes the sniffer, that's all that should matter.

The CEL test makes sense because if an OBDII car is emitting enough to fail the sniffer test, it's almost guaranteed it has a CEL.

Just to play Devil's advocate I will say that this is untrue. Just because a vehicle can pass the sniffer under controlled conditions doesn't mean it isn't a problem with emmisions. Long tubes, adjusted VE maps, etc. may not cause an issue at low rpm (like on the roller at a smog check) at higher rpm and during acceleration a modified vehicle is probably a gross polluter.

That said, I'm looking for a 'friend' in the business
Old 12-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
They will probably pop you if you don't have the factory map! God I love this state....

NOT
Doubtful. I don't think their equipment can read what tune you have.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I had an incident with a guy at a smog shop a while back. He failed the visual on my 98 jetta because of the intake I had on it. It was a Neuspeed intake, and I had the carb sticker. He failed me even with having the carb sticker. His shop burned down a couple weeks later.

j/k it didn't burn down. would have served him right though.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
There are ways around the plug in test.

When I had my turbo accord, come emissions time, I would disconnect the wastegate so I wouldn't make any boost, put my factory injectors, egr valve, evap canister, and factory ecu back in the car. Drive it for a few days to let the ecu run through all the readiness checks. The car would pass the plug in test just fine, even though I was running 2.5" straight exhaust from the turbo-back no cat only had a muffler which was pretty much straight through..you could see right through it. I used the spark plug no fouler trick on my rear 02 sensor to fool it into thinking I had a cat.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #17
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever1t View Post
Just to play Devil's advocate I will say that this is untrue. Just because a vehicle can pass the sniffer under controlled conditions doesn't mean it isn't a problem with emmisions. Long tubes, adjusted VE maps, etc. may not cause an issue at low rpm (like on the roller at a smog check) at higher rpm and during acceleration a modified vehicle is probably a gross polluter.

That said, I'm looking for a 'friend' in the business
i understand the devils advocate part, but your points are wrong. Headers don't have a negative impact on emissions. They also do test your car at idle and at running rpm. They don't test at 7000rpm for any cars for a reason. They don't care what it puts out at 7000rpm. Also, a tuned ecu won't fail a visual inspection anyways. If a car is a gross polluter, it will show during the sniffer tests they perform. They test under the conditions that the car spends 99% of it's life at. They don't care about the 1%.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

97T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
Headers don't have a negative impact on emissions.
gotta disagree with you there, when i had my 96 acura integra b18b1, i still passed but my numbers were higher with the carb legal dc sports 4-2-1 ceramic header i had. Eventually took them off cause dc parts are complete garbage and the fuckin thing cracked, furthermore i had gotten a state ref ticket for a non carb compliant intake and put the stock airbox and header back on so i would pass, i passed with flying colors and the apexi n1 catback exhaust i had was determined to be legal .... after all of this bullshit with being pulled over all the time by CHP, i have vowed not to own another modified honda as long as im still living in calfiornia (hopefully not much longer)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
Eventually took them off cause dc parts are complete garbage and the fuckin thing cracked.
Really? I threw on a set of DC ceramic 4-2-1 headers on my 97 Civic EX with the D16Y8 engine 10 years ago and they are still on the car with no leaks and cracks. My aunt drives it now though.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
Resident T100 guy

97T's Tacoma Gallery
from what i understand the cermaics were the most likely to crack ... some people like you are able to have no problems, and i was screwed after 2 years.