Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Toyota is Out of their Goddam Minds

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota is Out of their Goddam Minds

So today, my 2003 Matrix, after 8 years and a little over 175,000 miles, had its catalytic converter go bad. Had Advance Auto pull the code, called up my local dealer, who is usually pretty good, and inquired about a OE replacement.

Thirteen. Hundred. Dollars.

Thirteen HUNDRED dollars.

THIRTEEN. hundred. fucking. American. Dollars.

And that was just for the part.

When I got done GUT LAUGHING at the service lady over the phone, I informed her I'd be buying an aftermarket universal cat for about $100, paying an exhaust shop about 30 minutes of labor to have it welded in, and thanked her for her time.

What the hell is IN that OE Cat? Platinum or something?!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
yes
Old 12-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
Not surprising at all. This is why thieves jack peoples cats from their vehicles with sawzalls. The honey-combs is where its at!

That being said... it certainly blows that its big money.. but hell, what isn't these days!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriZonaD54 View Post
That being said... it certainly blows that its big money.. but hell, what isn't these days!
I don't mind paying big money when there's a reason. But this is fucking ridiculous when you can get an installed solution for 1/10th the cost.

If it came with a blowjob while I waited for the install, maybe.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
platinum homie dog G
Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
BlueXenon is on a distinguished road

BlueXenon's Tacoma Gallery
Thank god you don't own a BMW or Porsche. You don't want to know what the OE cats cost on those cars.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If it came with a blowjob while I waited for the install, maybe.
That better be some damn good head.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Yup...Pretty standard answer- IDK what engine your Matrix has-but the 2.4L 4-banger in my tC was gunna be like 900 bones.

Insane...but true.

1ZZ-FE 1.8L Four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
That better be some damn good head.

Agreed. I wouldn't settle for some nyah nyah there-I-did-it shit. I want at least 15 minutes of quality, and she better be convincing.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Hey used part of your post as my sig lol FUNNY AS SHIT
Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Jk its not working
Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
So today, my 2003 Matrix, after 8 years and a little over 175,000 miles, had its catalytic converter go bad. Had Advance Auto pull the code, called up my local dealer, who is usually pretty good, and inquired about a OE replacement.

Thirteen. Hundred. Dollars.

Thirteen HUNDRED dollars.

THIRTEEN. hundred. fucking. American. Dollars.

And that was just for the part.

When I got done GUT LAUGHING at the service lady over the phone, I informed her I'd be buying an aftermarket universal cat for about $100, paying an exhaust shop about 30 minutes of labor to have it welded in, and thanked her for her time.

What the hell is IN that OE Cat? Platinum or something?!

Only surprising part of your story is that there is an aftermarket cat for $100. Catalytic Converters are crazy expensive and always have been.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
Everbody is on a distinguished road

Everbody's Tacoma Gallery
So you want to live and have your ancestors live with poisoned air? Start crapping in your back yard and live with that poison.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #17

Per magnaflow's website, this is correct for my application:

http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Outl.../dp/B002MEOP3U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everbody View Post
So you want to live and have your ancestors live with poisoned air? Start crapping in your back yard and live with that poison.
Don't know where you got this, but I'll play:

I don't much give a shit about poisoned air, myself or ancestor-wise. We all gotta die from something. If it ain't gonna be smog, it's gonna be smoking and alcoholism. Get over it an pick a vice.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has
rhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhodehard09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
rhodehard09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everbody View Post
actually my ancestors lived with much cleaner air than we have now.
our exhaust is only a minute part of the problems with clean air
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Only surprising part of your story is that there is an aftermarket cat for $100. Catalytic Converters are crazy expensive and always have been.
Aftermarket cats are actually reasonably priced.

Products Discussed in this Thread