1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ford ecoboost

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by cantac09, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jan 12, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Which is why he said as long as the motor is well engineered and designed to handle boost from the get-go, then it's a non-issue.

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Possibly, yes, but it's still not quite that simple. Look at the difference in typical compression ratio for both types of engines.

Also, there's the simple physics of heat and pressure....stronger and different alloys can help some in those circumstances, but sometimes at the end of the day you run into the wall of there's only so much metal there.

Again, we'll see. I'm going to make them prove it to me, like I do with everything.

3. Jan 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    I will chime in on vw here, I have had my passat for 3 years and 65k and it has only been to vw for the scheduled service. Its my wifes car and she drives the piss out it. It has been across the country twice now and I have to say if her next one is as good as this car they have a life long customer. However it does suck in the desert!:D
    All and all a little competition for toyota will be a good thing for the next generation of taco's.

4. Jan 12, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    That's how I feel about VW for the most part. My Mom drives a 2005 Jetta, and aside from 1 or 2 trips to the dealer (for trivial things), it has been solid. Actually, I almost bought a new GTi, but I knew in the back of my mind that I still needed a truck. Those 6 speed transmissions in the GTi's are smooth as glass...maybe I'll go an test drive one again soon, just for fun. :D

5. Jan 12, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Eco boost doesn't sound like a 150k motor yet, and who believes Ford's numbers anyways.

But if it doesn what it says and stays dependable...Yes your stupid not to consider this option. I need more MPG period...and I'm going to have to jump ship if Yota can't compete.

6. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    walleyeguy

walleyeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB TRD OR Auto MGM
    JKD,

I completely agree with you above and previous statements in this thread!

To the others complaints that you can’t compare full size to mid size or 6+ year old engine versus a new Ford V6:
    Toyota went from being first in technology for example I believe they were the first to market with a 6sp auto in a truck, the Tundra with the 5.7, they were for sure the first with variable valve timing in a truck engine.
    However the competition has caught up and passed Toyota.
    It doesn’t matter where Ford uses the 3.7 liter V6 (whether it would be in a Ranger or the F-150) the fact is it still puts out more hp and torque with better fuel economy than the Toyota 4.0.
    We need to see a more fuel efficient V6 for the Tacoma, perhaps a smaller displacement direct injection with dual variable valve timing. An updated automatic transmission with at least 6 speeds as well. How about electric power steering? (Ford did it in the F-150)
    I too am worried that the only update we will see is the dual VVT-I 4.0, which is not enough in my opinion.

7. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    walleyeguy

walleyeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 DCSB TRD OR Auto MGM
  8. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    In the end diesels were designed from the ground up to handle boost. Ecoboosts were designed from the ground up to handle boost. It's a very good example of how if it's properly designed, boosted engines can last just as long or longer than n/a engines.

And my opinion on VW's comes from working on them. Ask anybody who does and they'll tell you the same thing.

9. Jan 13, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean? You don't expect one to last 150k miles? I'd bet twice that.

10. Jan 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    If this was Toyota's Ecoboost motor, most people on here would be all over Toyota's nutsack...just because its Ford, they can't just admit that Ford has their shit together.

11. Jan 13, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    After seeing the great thought Ford put into the Ford Transit, even a 2010 model, why anyone would want to purchase Ford is beyone me.

The Ford Transit...ment to haul things around town. Decent size little cab that thing has on......

....On top of an extended Ford Focus Frame.

-Front Wheel Drive
    -2.0L Engine
    -Standard "car/minivan" type suspension. McPherson's up front and a trailing bar between the rear wheels.
    -Had one in the shop a few weeks ago. Was in for GRINDING Front Brakes. At 25,000 Miles.

Literally threw an oversized van body on a Focus frame.

J.U.N.K.

12. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    shampoop

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    Maybe that's exactly what some people need. Why waste extra money up front and on gas for too large of a vehicle when you don't need to?

13. Jan 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 [OP] Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    alberta im guessing?

14. Jan 15, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Lloydminister me thinks hey?

Well I can't speak for the ecoboost, but after driving that 6.2L around for the past 4 nights, I can say without a doubt that fucker pulls like a diesel.

15. Feb 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    anybody drive the ecoboost ferd yet?

Products Discussed in

To Top