Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

ford ecoboost

Old 01-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
ford ecoboost

i might even condsider one if everything they say is true. http://communities.canada.com/DRIVIN...ter-power.aspx
Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah if what they are saying is true it would be tempting.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i'll wait a year or two just to see how good they really are and if its all true, might be good bye to the toyota.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Why wouldn't it be true? Do you think they're just lying and are going to tell everyone "HA, we got you fuckers! It's only half as capable as we say it is!"

Will be interesting to see how the motor holds up with extended heavy towing and the other wear and tear it will be prone to opposed to the motor being in a car. The figures are impressive nonetheless. Towing over 11,000lbs and getting 22mpg highway out of 3.5L. I'm sure a lot of people will be hesitant though, I know I'd probably just stick with the 5.0L.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Ford should take that kind of power, put in a midsize truck and start competing in the midsize category again. I've always liked Ford trucks, but I have no desire or need for a fullsize.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Yep if its true, Bye Bye Toyota
Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Well the sticker on my taco never matched what I got at the pump, winter gas whatever it was just saying if they can really get that in real world conditions I would be very interested. I never expected to get 15 mpg out of a mid sized toyota, so if a full sized could almost double that by the time i added a lift and tires it would still be over 20mpg and maybe I would switch back to ford. Maybe.
just reread it and it only gets 22, thats not double by any means. My mistake.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
the numbers they give out sound pretty good. but i think i'd rather get another taco than a ford, thats just me
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Clever white boy.
wired_af is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
wired_af's Tacoma Gallery
420 lb. ft. of torque? That's pretty damn impressive from a stock 3.5L V6.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

its twin turbo
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
that would be sick. ecoboost a ranger that's about the size of a 2nd gen tacoma.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
Not to mention companies like banks will come out with reflashes that will open it up to who knows how much power.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Why wouldn't it be true? Do you think they're just lying and are going to tell everyone "HA, we got you fuckers! It's only half as capable as we say it is!"

Will be interesting to see how the motor holds up with extended heavy towing and the other wear and tear it will be prone to opposed to the motor being in a car. The figures are impressive nonetheless. Towing over 11,000lbs and getting 22mpg highway out of 3.5L. I'm sure a lot of people will be hesitant though, I know I'd probably just stick with the 5.0L.

This is my concern. Longevity. Boosted applications NEVER last as long as N/A.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
im no Ford guy, but if this thing is as good as they say it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1zdFZwlLU&feature=fvw
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"equivalent miles"

aka "not attached to anything".

I'm skeptical. I'll remain so until given reason to believe otherwise (i.e. these trucks are still around without issue around 150k miles).
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
This is my concern. Longevity. Boosted applications NEVER last as long as N/A.
i had the exact same initial reaction, but have you seen the torture tests they've been doing? something like 100-200k simulated miles, then race in the baja 1000, some other stuff, and afterwards it they dyno'd it again and it had the exact same power numbers as it did from the start. I think it might be the real deal.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"equivalent miles"

I'm skeptical. I'll remain so until given reason to believe otherwise (i.e. these trucks are still around without issue around 150k miles).
i understand the "equivalent" miles, im more impressed with the towing capabilities... but thats if the video's legit
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #18
Quote:
"equivalent miles"

probably a water brake for loading on the dyno.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I red an article about HD trucks in Motor Trend recently. This one was about Ford vs Chevy HD trucks. Ford brags all day about the new 6.7 but in the end the Chevy was faster and the towing capacity was close. Maybe this will be the same. All that power and blah blah but MPG will only be 1 or 2 better than a V8.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
i had the exact same initial reaction, but have you seen the torture tests they've been doing? something like 100-200k simulated miles, then race in the baja 1000, some other stuff, and afterwards it they dyno'd it again and it had the exact same power numbers as it did from the start. I think it might be the real deal.
Simulated miles make me lol.

Stresses on an engine in a truck in the field are far fucking different from the lab.

Ford makes good trucks. The engineers know what they're doing. But, and it's a big but, the primary driving force behind these smaller displacement, force-fed engines is CAFE standards. Detroit can't do without trucks...it's the only thing that kept them semi-afloat the past decade or so. Boosting engines is harder on them. Always. And I see that causing a problem in the image department because "good" truck is synonymous with "durable", "reliable" truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
i understand the "equivalent" miles, im more impressed with the towing capabilities... but thats if the video's legit
I'm sure it tows just fine for a few tests. Give it 100,000 real miles of breathing dirt, dust, and fumes on the road, being worked in scorching hot days, starting thousands of times, many of them in very cold temperatures and let's see if it holds up.

I'm not saying it's going to be bad - I'm saying manufacturers have historically had problems with force-induced engines in the reliability department. They all have good engineers. I'm wondering what Ford has supposedly figured out here that no one else has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
probably a water brake for loading on the dyno.
Leaves out a lot of factors.