LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

What to buy next Toyota Tundra or GMC Sierra 1500?

View Poll Results: Which truck would you pick?
Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4WD 50 68.49%
GMC Sierra 1500 CREWCAB 4WD 23 31.51%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Timmy
timofthehill is on a distinguished road
Name: Timmy
timofthehill's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to timofthehill
What to buy next Toyota Tundra or GMC Sierra 1500?

Hello everyone,
I have been looking around for my next truck and I need something a little bigger then my Tacoma. I was looking for a duramax but I won't be towing much many once in awhile and for the price it wasn't worth it. So I am looking in the 1/2 ton range. I want a crew cab and be able to put a dyed diesel 90 gallon tank in the back of the truck. I am looking to get them fully loaded too with 4WD. I just need it to pull a 14 ft snowmobile trailer once in a while.
Let me know what you think or what you would pick.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Tundra
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I say Sierra.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
spenccstevens is on a distinguished road
Name: spencer
spenccstevens's Tacoma Gallery
go with the tundra...i had a sierra before my tacoma and absolutely hated it. Look up the valve tapping issues and active fuel management issues wiht sierras. People going through 3 or 4 motors within 12k miles
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Sierra
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Do you care about resale value? If so I would get a tundra.

My buddy went from an '06 Silverado 2500 HD duramax to an '08 tundra and he said he likes the Tundra way better and he said it actually tows better than the deisel did other than gas mileage. He actually had two duramax's. The first was on '05 crew cab and the second was an '06 extended cab. Both of them started having problems, mainly electrical gremlins. The '05 was actually having transmission problems. He only got 23k for the '06 which kinda sucks considering it was a ~$50k truck when he bought it new. He hasn't had any problems with the Tundra yet. He puts A LOT of mileage on a truck with 60% of those miles towing cars since he's a dealer.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I personally like the Tundra and the Sierra but I feel the Tundras are much higher quality and will last longer.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Timmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Do you care about resale value? If so I would get a tundra.

My buddy went from an '06 Silverado 2500 HD duramax to an '08 tundra and he said he likes the Tundra way better and he said it actually tows better than the deisel did other than gas mileage. He actually had two duramax's. The first was on '05 crew cab and the second was an '06 extended cab. Both of them started having problems, mainly electrical gremlins. The '05 was actually having transmission problems. He only got 23k for the '06 which kinda sucks considering it was a ~$50k truck when he bought it new. He hasn't had any problems with the Tundra yet. He puts A LOT of mileage on a truck with 60% of those miles towing cars since he's a dealer.
What's the tundra like for towing? I might put it in the odd truck pull. But I have been told they don't pull all that well.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
my buddy just picked up a 2010 silverado, its similer to the sierra, he got the six speed trany and 5.3 liter v-8, and that thing is amazing, extended cab,

its real nice, i like it, interior is good too

dosent compare to the taco tho, i love my taco
Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
ford f150 ecoboost man! 30 mpg 356hp over 400lbs of torque!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I am going to say look at the f150. of tundra

If you r buying a chevy get a diesel, their gassers suck!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofthehill View Post
What's the tundra like for towing? I might put it in the odd truck pull. But I have been told they don't pull all that well.
He says it tows better than his duramax did. I think the duramax has a higher capacity however for what he tows..usually ~5,000lb load, he says it feels much better than the duramax when towing. Stops much better too. He has the Tundra double cab 5.7L.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Check out tundra deconstruction on you tube... pretty cool what they did.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
1/2 tons ride way better that 3/4 or 1 ton springs. but diesels rule the towing world when it comes to mpg and capacity.

I have herd talks that chevy is coming out a 1500 with a duramax minimax diesel.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
Timmy
I'm not buying a Ford. And I am looking anywhere from 2008-2010. Nothing older or newer.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Rich1790 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Rich
Rich1790's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good pick but the ecoboost gets nowhere near 30mpg. More like 16 city/ 22 highway.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xgwt7Qqok
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
trxjwb is on a distinguished road
trxjwb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
I am going to say look at the f150. of tundra

If you r buying a chevy get a diesel, their gassers suck!

This is a ridiculous post...Chevy has been making their 5.3's for 70 or 80 years....a little biased post i would say..They are all pretty good.Just matters which truck fits your needs the best as far as budget and towing needs
Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL I'm an EcoBoost fan too, but you're smoking something if you think it gets 30 mpg. More like 22-24.